ADVERTISEMENT

Who Does CUSA Add?

If TX and OU leave to the SEC sooner rather than later (22/23 vs 25), is another shift expected?

If TX and OU leave to the SEC sooner rather than later (22/23 vs 25), is another shift expected?
It would be hilarious if PAC 12 decided to add a few more Big 12 schools. Big 12 adds a few more AAC schools.

You guys laughing at me now. But I'd bet my suggestion will be lot closer and you guys will be apologizing to me. 😎😎😎😎

Several posts have predicted pending doom for the Miners and this being our last chance at conference realignment. Not in any way is this true. Conference realignment looks like a game of 52 card pick up and if you believe this is the last wave I think you better look again. This ain't over by a long shot, an who knows when this whole deck of cards is going to fall to the floor and we reshuffle the deck.

Makes no sense for CUSA to add football only schools. I think it's an editing mistake. Plus supposedly UCONN already said no. Other than the WKU/MTSU to MAC info how reliable is Brett's article?
It also says that cusa is talking to several fcs schools to move up. If the 3 remaining members add several (5) fcs schools as full members that would be the 8 full members required once they transition. Having additional football only members would be a good move for scheduling, especially during the fcs transition period.

Several posts have predicted pending doom for the Miners and this being our last chance at conference realignment. Not in any way is this true. Conference realignment looks like a game of 52 card pick up and if you believe this is the last wave I think you better look again. This ain't over by a long shot, an who knows when this whole deck of cards is going to fall to the floor and we reshuffle the deck.
That's true but it's going to take a completely different mindset.

Winning 6-7 games in football and averaging 20-25k in football isn't going to cut it. We need a detailed master plan and everyone that gives a damn about UTEP to buy into it.

If CUSA folds or even if it survives we will either fall into complete irrelevance or we realize we've been doing it wrong all along and make the necessary changes.

If not, next round we'll find ourselves in the same position. Watching schools that were in FCS a few years ago pass us by on their way to the MW/AAC/SB.

The more conferences keep going to 14 and if Big 12 poaches 2 more Group of 5. Then MWC will most likely make a move too possibly favoring UTEP at that point. UTEP only can control what it can. Win in Mens football and BBall and of course women sports too, but I mention the 2 money makers of course. This round CUSA obviously lost. The reason why they would need to hope Liberty, NMSU, UConn at the very minimum join in football, is because they need 6 teams at least I believe. Even if CUSA adds 3-5 FCS teams in football I don't know if it'll count until after the 2 year transition period. I don't know that I'm understanding that correctly, but if the current departing teams leave early and CUSA doesn't have at least 6 FBS teams, they'd lose the FBS classification and lots of money. So it appears they're looking for a bandaid to put on a hole in the damn until they can patch it up more securely in 2 years.

So is the exit fees being split 3 ways?? Isnt this good news for UTEP that Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee leaving,? Then with the entry fees from the schools coming in Utep should be getting a big pay day.

The more conferences keep going to 14 and if Big 12 poaches 2 more Group of 5. Then MWC will most likely make a move too possibly favoring UTEP at that point. UTEP only can control what it can. Win in Mens football and BBall and of course women sports too, but I mention the 2 money makers of course. This round CUSA obviously lost. The reason why they would need to hope Liberty, NMSU, UConn at the very minimum join in football, is because they need 6 teams at least I believe. Even if CUSA adds 3-5 FCS teams in football I don't know if it'll count until after the 2 year transition period. I don't know that I'm understanding that correctly, but if the current departing teams leave early and CUSA doesn't have at least 6 FBS teams, they'd lose the FBS classification and lots of money. So it appears they're looking for a bandaid to put on a hole in the damn until they can patch it up more securely in 2 years.
Cusa wouldn't want to count on it but the ncaa normally grants waivers to cover things like membership issues. The MAC was granted waivers for years to allow them to have a ccg with only 11 schools. 12 were required at the time. Same for the aac the last couple of years.

Once the fcs schools transition, a 2 year period, then cusa will be in compliance.

Reactions: nattybry
So is the exit fees being split 3 ways?? Isnt this good news for UTEP that Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee leaving,? Then with the entry fees from the schools coming in Utep should be getting a big pay day.
The 3 remaining schools will get some of it but they will likely vote to use some of it to assist the fcs move ups in order to keep the conference alive. That's assuming enough fcs schools do come.

The 3 remaining schools will get some of it but they will likely vote to use some of it to assist the fcs move ups in order to keep the conference alive. That's assuming enough fcs schools do come.
Nobody really knows who is getting what. All speculation. I would guess those 3 get “some” money, but I really wouldn’t bank on “$11,000,000” each.

I really hope no one in our athletic admin is counting on that "exit fee" money.........

I hope the new teams were not promised a share of the exit fees. The remaining 5 should get about 5.4 mil from the 9 schools leaving.

I hope the new teams were not promised a share of the exit fees. The remaining 5 should get about 5.4 mil from the 9 schools leaving.

Wouldn't surprise me if they were, and entrance fees were waived. C-USA is desperate to survive at any costs, just to retain the exit fees from the departing members.

Most likely 11 schools leaving unless M. Tennessee and W. Kentucky all of the sudden have a change of heart or MAC.

Okay here is my legit C-USA.

Have to make it a 16/14 team league. CUSA must show FCS teams that there is stability .

C-USA East
UMASS
UCONN (Football Only)
Liberty
FIU
Jacksonville State
Navy
Missouri St
Villanova ??? IDK it doesnt matter just pick a school from the CAA

C-USA west
UTEP
La Tech
NMSU
Sam Houston ST
Tarleton St
NAU
Idaho
Hawaii
GCU (Basketball only)
Ha not so funny now.. I got 5 schools right.

Very true......If people's predictions come true......there is more shuffling coming up.

I'm hoping that some of the predictions I've seen around the web come to fruition. (Boise to B12, Memphis/SMU to B12. etc.)

OPINION: The price to leave early C-USA is worth it

"Marshall is scheduled to join the Sun Belt Conference no later than July 1, 2023 but entering the conference next July is an option on the table. Leaving Conference USA at the conclusion of the current academic year will come at a price. It will cost Marshall $3 million in exit fees to cut ties the fledging league."

So if I'm reading this correctly, will it cost Marshall (and all other departing members) less than $3 million if they leave at the end of the 2022-2023 academic year? If so, what will that amount be, if any?

Technically you got 4 so far. 4 out the 14 schools you mentioned would give you a score of 28.57. I think that's a very bad grade and nothing to brag about.
There is still time for my others to get picked up. Now that NMSU got picked up that leaves the door open to expand west. So my picks are looking good.

"Marshall is scheduled to join the Sun Belt Conference no later than July 1, 2023 but entering the conference next July is an option on the table. Leaving Conference USA at the conclusion of the current academic year will come at a price. It will cost Marshall $3 million in exit fees to cut ties the fledging league."

So if I'm reading this correctly, will it cost Marshall (and all other departing members) less than $3 million if they leave at the end of the 2022-2023 academic year? If so, what will that amount be, if any?
Unless I missed something, I didn’t get that. I thinks it’s $3 mill either way.

Unless I missed something, I didn’t get that. I thinks it’s $3 mill either way.
I think it will cost extra not the same. And I think it will be more like $6 to leave early. Problem would be the schedules for the remaining teams. That would be a real screw you type of departure unless it was just 2 or 3 schools that did it.

Reactions: T-6 Miner
Wouldn't surprise me if they were, and entrance fees were waived. C-USA is desperate to survive at any costs, just to retain the exit fees from the departing members.
The other thing that I read is that CUSA gets a share of playoff money. The "Group of Five" conferences share from a pool of $90 million.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristi...-21-college-football-playoff/?sh=7d7f68981ee4

A new conference would not be grandfathered in like CUSA. So, if CUSA disbanded and UTEP joined the WAC and the WAC elevated its FCS teams to FBS, the new FBS WAC wouldn't get the share of the playoff money that CUSA currently gets.

I don't know whether that's true, but that's what I read. If true, it's better for the teams jumping from FCS to FBS to join CUSA rather than try to turn their own conference (WAC, Big Sky, etc.) into an FBS conference. The "30 FCS schools want to join CUSA" rumor might actually be true, if that's the case; it's their best chance at some of that playoff money.

Imagine being so excited to join the Sun Belt conference. It's "full of potential" and stuff.

There is still time for my others to get picked up. Now that NMSU got picked up that leaves the door open to expand west. So my picks are looking good.
That's true but I can guarantee at least 6 won't hit.

Hawaii
Idaho
NAU
GCU (I wish you're right though)
Navy/Army (neither is coming)
Villanova

UCONN/UMASS might happen

Missouri St supposedly said they're not but things can change

If it's true that 30 schools have called Judy, Imo this drops Tarleton St until they transition to FCS. Maybe down the road.

If you're lucky 2 more hit.

If CUSA wanted to expand west who are some programs, they can look at?? I think now, Utep and NMSU are the leaders of the new CUSA. So CUSA need to make Utep and NMSU happy.

West?

Maybe go into Utah. Utah Valley, Dixie State, and Southern Utah.

Northern Arizona maybe?

Northern Colorado.

West?

Maybe go into Utah. Utah Valley, Dixie State, and Southern Utah.

Northern Arizona maybe?

Northern Colorado.

For years, I suggested UTEP join the WAC. Was met with “WAC sucks”, “It’s like giving up”, “We’re better than that”. Now, CUSA added 2 WAC teams and posters are suggesting adding more WAC teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT