ADVERTISEMENT

Who Does CUSA Add?

On the bright side if MW wants to get into Texas, it's UTEP and Texas St.

Clear move by AAC to keep MW out of Texas.

All of those programs that AAC took have potential and reside in big markets but none of them are consistent winners.

Imo they're making the same mistake CUSA made. Will be interesting to see what ESPN will pay for what is basically old CUSA.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Will Sun Belt come and take the best of the rest in CUSA? Should UTEP be on the phone with the WAC?

Will Sun Belt come and take the best of the rest in CUSA? Should UTEP be on the phone with the WAC?
Gotta think that Southern Miss and Marshall might go to the Sun Belt.

CUSA would have to add NMSU and Liberty to stay afloat. Then you have a far flung conference with no middle. UTEP and NMSU out west, FIU in Florida, ODU and Liberty in Virginia, MTSU, WKU, and LaTch would be left.

This an awful scenario for UTEP. If those 6 leave and the SBC takes 2 or more.

Gotta think that Southern Miss and Marshall might go to the Sun Belt.

CUSA would have to add NMSU and Liberty to stay afloat. Then you have a far flung conference with no middle. UTEP and NMSU out west, FIU in Florida, ODU and Liberty in Virginia, MTSU, WKU, and LaTch would be left.

This an awful scenario for UTEP. If those 6 leave and the SBC takes 2 or more.
If this happens and Utep is in fact left behind with no Texas teams besides rice I think we have to go sun belt in all sports if they'd have us. Win in both football and basketball this year and it'll definitely help our cause. To be honest I think we offer more than N. Texas. Maybe not recently, but over all a better Basketball program with more loyal fans. Football on the rise that will outdraw all other CUSA teams once it gets rolling. Lastly you're not really getting the DFW market. I live here and nobody cares about N.Texas except people in Denton 35 miles north. In UTEP you're getting all of El Paso which is 8 or 9 times bigger than Denton. Not to mention Juarez has UTEP fans. I know they don't count it and they look at TV sets, but as I said N. Texas is just Denton no one else cares!

Reactions: Rot
If this happens and Utep is in fact left behind with no Texas teams besides rice I think we have to go sun belt in all sports if they'd have us. Win in both football and basketball this year and it'll definitely help our cause. To be honest I think we offer more than N. Texas. Maybe not recently, but over all a better Basketball program with more loyal fans. Football on the rise that will outdraw all other CUSA teams once it gets rolling. Lastly you're not really getting the DFW market. I live here and nobody cares about N.Texas except people in Denton 35 miles north. In UTEP you're getting all of El Paso which is 8 or 9 times bigger than Denton. Not to mention Juarez has UTEP fans. I know they don't count it and they look at TV sets, but as I said N. Texas is just Denton no one else cares!
Rice is going to the AAC and the SBC isn’t adding UTEP when they could pick off anyone named LaTech and further East. UTEP has no chance at the Sun Belt. Zero!

UTEP will be the only Texas team with their nearest conference opponent being LaTech and that’s if they’re lucky!

Reactions: TxRdKiller
You have to think SB will try and kill of CUSA. It's better for their brand with less competition in their own foot print. Might get a nice bump in pay from ESPN too.

Some might get their wish of independence/wac. Hopefully the timing works out that WAC is FBS by the time this all happens.

Some might get their wish of independence/wac. Hopefully the timing works out that WAC is FBS by the time this all happens.
Of course it happens the one year UTEP isn’t finishing in last place.

Oh well, thanks to Stull and Kugler, here we are. Though CUSA will probably survive, but it will be really bad and far flung.

Reactions: FarWestTexas

When it's all said and done the SB could have the strongest football in the G5 world.

Three options

1. Stay in CUSA.
2. Hope to get in the Sun Belt.
3. MWC.

2 and 3 are very unlikely. We have to be part of one of the three conferences to survive athletically.

I think if those schools really leave, NMSU and UTEP will be in the same conference wherever we end up at.

I think we're screwed if this happens. Our remaining conference mates will be too far from us. Can they vote us out? They already don't like us because we have been so bad for so long
No, unless UTEP is committing a ton of egregious NCAA infractions. Anything is possible, but it’s highly unlikely. They would have a hard time getting others to join if they did.

They can make it super east coast focus and effectively make it known UTEP is not really welcome though. Still up to UTEP to leave though

Guess the AAC will have to cease their aspirations of being a Power 6 conference.

Still think UTEP should join the WAC and go independent for football, until the WAC completes its transition back to FBS football. Sun Belt would be the second option for all sports. Forget the MWC. They clearly don’t want us.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Guess the AAC will have to cease their aspirations of being a Power 6 conference.

Still think UTEP should join the WAC and go independent for football, until the WAC completes its transition back to FBS football. Sun Belt would be the second option for all sports. Forget the MWC. They clearly don’t want us.
The WAC would be end of the athletic. They should shut it down before they join the WAC.

Utep should just go indy In Football and join one of the West coast Basketball conferences .

Hitting the panic button because I don't want to end up without a conference. The MWC did say that they were looking to expand and maybe the AAC poaching CUSA might change the minds of MWC on taking us along with NMSU

Reactions: JCorona
Hitting the panic button because I don't want to end up without a conference. The MWC did say that they were looking to expand and maybe the AAC poaching CUSA might change the minds of MWC on taking us along with NMSU
They’re not going to expand for the sake of expanding. Adding NMSU and UTEP do nothing for television dollars, exposure, and perceived football quality.

They’re not going to expand for the sake of expanding. Adding NMSU and UTEP do nothing for television dollars, exposure, and perceived football quality.
Definitely does nothing for football but they have said that if the expand it will be for basketball purposes

UTEP and Texas St still get the MW into Texas. Air Force gets to play close to San Antonio and the other Mountain division schools revive rivalries with us. At least we don't have to worry about the 3 Texas cusa schools taking our spot in the MW. If they want into Texas we're their only options now.

Reactions: picks up
I know it's your agenda to remind everyone how bad we've been (despite all of us knowing), but I'm clearly talking hypotheticals.

Last edited:
UTEP and Texas St still get the MW into Texas. Air Force gets to play close to San Antonio and the other Mountain division schools revive rivalries with us. At least we don't have to worry about the 3 Texas cusa schools taking our spot in the MW. If they want into Texas we're their only options now.
Yes. I think this is the one bright spot if this happens. It could very well be that the good market of Texas St with not so good athletics plus a medium size market and improving athletics for UTEP finally gets us in. We should stick it out in a weakened CUSA in the meantime. If the MWC takes 2 out of Rice, UTSA, UNT and Texas St, that's when we are screwed out of the MWC possibility for a very long time.

As someone mentioned on the CUSA board, it doesn't make sense to have UNT and SMU geographically. Is the AAC prepping for them to leave along with Memhpis, say for the MWC? Can't imagine they're too happy with the backfilling. If the MWC wants in Texas, SMU is probably worth more than UTEP and Texas State combined.

Anyway, this was a swift kick in the balls. I'd start mentally preparing for the Indy/WAC route. The MWC is so far unaffected and under no obligation to throw us a bone because of that old rivalry with Wyoming few of us still remember.

Last edited:
As someone mentioned on the CUSA board, it doesn't make sense to have UNT and SMU geographically. Is the AAC prepping for them to leave along with Memhpis, say for the MWC? Can't imagine they're too happy with the backfilling. If the MWC wants in Texas, SMU is probably worth more than UTEP and Texas State combined.

Anyway, this was a swift kick in the balls. I'd start mentally preparing for the Indy/WAC route. The MWC is so far unaffected and under no obligation to throw us a bone because of that old rivalry with Wyoming few of still remember.
Smu and Memphis will not pay 10 million exit fee to join a western league. They believe they are next in line for the Big 12 and will stick around until their invitation. It almost feels like adding the Texas schools was to keep SMU and Tulsa happy in the west division and the MW from poaching them.

It is too late to go all out. UTEP should have started investing heavily in improving the football program many many years ago.
Yep it's just a pipe dream right now, but things can change. There are probably thousands of people in El Paso that don't financially support UTEP because of poor athletic. I personally know of many.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT