ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the richest Utep Alum?

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
I tried looking on uteps website and couldn't find a list . But I don't think they would show who is the richest anyways.

I wouldn't be surprised if David Palacio is up there. Depending on how they invested their money- Seth Joyner, Tim Hardaway, Antonio Davis.

I went to UTEP with one of the De La Vegas. I think he purchased the entire Las Palmas shopping center area when it was just desert. Game over.

Bob O'rear has to be near the top. He was one of the original five original founders of microsoft. He still serves on the boards of several companies. He has a huge ranch in the panhandle. He is big in the cattle buisness. Im sure his investment portfolio is beyond impressive.

Jerry Rubin, the former CEO of Hellen of Troy is somewhere at the top. The guy also owns River Oaks properties.

I tried looking on uteps website and couldn't find a list . But I don't think they would show who is the richest anyways.
Jerry Rubin, the former CEO of Hellen of Troy is somewhere at the top. The guy also owns River Oaks properties.
Better question, who donates to UTEP and not to UT instead... or worse ND, Baylor, Tech, TAMU...
-Pete Taylor class of '70+/- and a Kappa Sigma. Father had house above Lake Austin on Mt. Bonnell in Austin. Father had Ranches all over the world, mineral and gas rights, & etc.
-Circa same era, another Kappa sigma, Steve Fasken, Father had oil, gas, and banks in Midland. One of the richest families in US.
-Same time, there was a dude who was an heir to the Marlboro fortune, drove a green MACH 1 and hung out at Rathskeller and the X. Can't for the life of me remember his name.
-One girl's father practically owned all of Marathon. Her name was Jeanie Donnell.
-Not to mention the few big time drug dealers who attended UTEP around then.

Last edited:
Didn't El Chapo go to UTEP? I hear he lives in the area........just kidding of course....thanks for bringing up the Rathskeller, e-Rick. brings up fond memories of my UTEP days.

There is a also Hispanic business man, (his name escapes me), who recently donated a ton of money to UTEP for one of its new buildings.

The Cappettos guy, Davis?, always seems to be interviewed for insight on boosters. Is he up there?

Well, it looks like if all these rich boosters combine forces they could make a big $ impression on UTEP athletics, including top notch coaches for FB and MBB. We already have a top notch coach for WBB.

Bob O'rear has to be near the top. He was one of the original five original founders of microsoft. He still serves on the boards of several companies. He has a huge ranch in the panhandle. He is big in the cattle buisness. Im sure his investment portfolio is beyond impressive.

I'd say O'Rear is at least top 5. He was around during the earliest days of Microsoft and is more than any ex-athlete. Charlie Steen has been dead for years now. I know he was very rich for awhile then lost it all.

Yossi Maiman is worth about 7 times MORE than O'rear. He's an Israeli businessman. I doubt he has any interest in UTEP athletics though.

"O'Rear retired from Microsoft in 1993. O'Rear started a ranch in the Texas Panhandle where he grew up with his brother. While O'Rear provides the financing and business structure, his brother runs and operates the ranch. He spends more time with his family and pursues his hobbies, including golf, racquetball, and skiing. O'Rear is also a director on several boards of local businesses and invests in real estate development. Just before his retirement, he joined the advisory council on the College of Natural Sciences at the University of Texas at El Paso, his alma mater, through which he keeps a working relationship between the university and Microsoft by encouraging recruit students from the university."-[source: wiki]

Wow, what a life both Maiman and O'Rear have lived!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT