ADVERTISEMENT

Who wants Floyd and staff gone now?

Any replacements worth their salt have jobs, so if Floyd were fired now, it would make sense to let one of his current assistants finish the season as interim HC.

One note: you have the ability to change your vote in my poll. I'm interested in seeing if any of the votes change after tonight.

One note: you have the ability to change your vote in my poll. I'm interested in seeing if any of the votes change after tonight.

Tonight was a replay of the inconsistency we've seen all year -- not sure why this loss would cause a huge shift.

Perhaps we're all experiencing astral projection and are really floating in some sort of alternate Dante hell reality. This is sad.

Got Google? Use it.
If Dave Rice continues to right the ship at unlv, the job is his. Would he leave the mountain west for utep? Not a chance.

ok my bad, Rice got fired by unlv. confused him with simon. Bob Marlin would be a far better hire.

Why are u guys still investing in Floyd and the MBB program? I let it go after the utsa debacle and I am living free. When, who, or what they play does not matter. This season is a wash, stop wasting your time and money on Floyd and Stull.

I checked out after the UTSA game as well. As I drove to go see the Lady Miners play, I felt at ease, not giving a damn about the men's game but feeling pumped to see the ladies do their thing. It didn't even affect me when I saw the men's score on the news, just chuckled and shook my head. I don't have a clue what time the men play for their next game and don't really care...the Lady Miners play at 2 against LA Tech, looking forward to that drive again.

This game doesn't change much in a an already disappointing season. Firing him now does nothing. Floyd and Utep need to go their separate ways at the end of this season, but knowing Stull he'll have the excuse of a rebuilding year and he'll get another year, I hope not though!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tucson_Miner
Im a miner koolaid drinker and I want him gone. Id wait till the end of season though. Me heart hopes that he makes a run in the CUSA tourney we goto the NCAA and win at least 1 game. I know its a dream but if that dream doesn't come true please hire a new coach. This is garbage

"Our Boy Floyd" isn't going any where. Let's all embrace this mess as being a lesson well learned.
I figure that one of the current "former head coaches" on staff would be agreeable to coach after next year.
Now, let discuss what lessons can we learn from this team ... I think our team could be is a very exciting up-tempo team that can put 80 points a game and not a half - court team thinking 60 points will get you a win. I think we should run, run, run. We have the horses for that kind of game and score in the 80's.
Can i get a high-five ...

Reactions: mikesarabia
No. Running won't work because Floyd won't change. This is one major dysfunction that can be solved only with a massive enema - either now or at the end of the season.

Too bad Dr. Diane - in her obsession for Tier I legacy recognition & stardom - doesn't really see the AD & HC of MBB as huge albatrosses & obstacles to her successful goals. Or does she? And is resigned to let these two petulant children have their way.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! Long time reader first time poster. Hate to say it but I really really really want CTF gone NOW! He's becoming an embarrassment and I really feel bad that he's our coach at the 50th anniversary. I think that Stull really thought hiring him was gonna be great but it's time to cut your losses. My focus is now on our UTEP women. They are doing awesome! They have earned our support. They deserve our full support! Go Miners!

The issues with this program and Floyd's inconsistencies are something I started pointing out a couple seasons ago. In typical fashion, people wanted to question my loyalty to the program, or act as if my observations and opinions were completely unfounded.

The homers have aided the continued reign of Floyd with their undying support every year, even after so many questionable decisions. I haven't spoken out against him too much, but only because I've wanted to see him eventually succeed since he has so much positive history with this program.

I think we need to stop looking at things so often with orange colored glasses. We need to follow the example of more successful universities, who demand success at the highest level. I'm not saying we should fire every coach who doesn't take us to the tournament after two years -- but there should be a reasonable measure of improvement by that time, as well as a clear strategy for a continued upward trajectory (i.e-- not releasing half your recruits every year, and recruiting kids who aren't liabilities in terms of academics and character).

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucaminer1
The issues with this program and Floyd's inconsistencies are something I started pointing out a couple seasons ago. In typical fashion, people wanted to question my loyalty to the program, or act as if my observations and opinions were completely unfounded.

The homers have aided the continued reign of Floyd with their undying support every year, even after so many questionable decisions. I haven't spoken out against him too much, but only because I've wanted to see him eventually succeed since he has so much positive history with this program.

I think we need to stop looking at things so often with orange colored glasses. We need to follow the example of more successful universities, who demand success at the highest level. I'm not saying we should fire every coach who doesn't take us to the tournament after two years -- but there should be a reasonable measure of improvement by that time, as well as a clear strategy for a continued upward trajectory (i.e-- not releasing half your recruits every year, and recruiting kids who aren't liabilities in terms of academics and character).

@ USAFminersfan. You are one of my favorite posters on this site. Glad to see your thoughts on this forum!

Reactions: USAFminersfan
USA, I've been accused of being a homer by a few here, pays me no never mind. But if you are referencing boosters as homers, well maybe they can be a reason for Floyd still being here after last season. Maybe. But if you are referring to so called homers here? Lol, no one here has that kind of pull. That's ludicrous.

Reactions: UTEPy79
I'm not saying the homers on this site have kept Floyd employed. I'm saying that a significant part of the fan base has not held Floyd accountable for the questionable way he's led this program, which has contributed to his ability to maintain employment. I've seen excuses made for him year after year, similar to the situation with CMP.

The fan base (especially season ticket holders) have significant influence on whether Floyd stays or goes. When people complain about the trajectory of the program, and refuse to tolerate the passive attitude of stull then the administration will be forced to respond. But again, the fans have not overly questioned the way this program has been led, so the UTEP administration has not been inclined to remove Floyd as of yet.

I only suggest we cease the attitude that being a fan requires one to support coaches and their decisions at all times. We should be able to look at this program objectively, and have open and honest conversations about where it's headed. As I've srated before-- a solution can only be found when one admits there's a problem.

I think we need to demand a national championship level program at all times. If we reach for the Sun, we'll at least get to the moon. If we're content staring at the Sun from the peak of a mountain, we won't even breach our atmosphere....

I can't believe we're all falling for this. We're all caught up in the fire Floyd stuff that' we're missing the larger picture. It's absolutely ingenious and brilliant move by Coach Floyd. Listen when the schedule came out this summer, I knew, you knew, our moms knew, people in Burkina Faso knew that there was absolutely no chance we were going to get an at-large. Then why even try? Start out the first quarter of the season really well. Then for no apparent reason, just start playing horrible basketball, the likes of which we haven't seen since what, the 50s? Suspensions, mysterious benchings, ejections, players talking back to coaches, not being able to settle on any lineup or rotation....just make it look like the entire program is unraveling. Who is going to take a team like that seriously in March?

But, no, it's all a giant ruse. All the rest of the college basketball world with less brilliant coaches have been wearing themselves out "trying" and "competing" and "playing like they actually give a bleep" for the last 3 months. Now, you have a bunch of tired teams completely overlooking UTEP, while we're sitting here fresh as daisies.

Absolutely brilliant. I don't see how this doesn't work.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikesarabia
I can't believe we're all falling for this. We're all caught up in the fire Floyd stuff that' we're missing the larger picture. It's absolutely ingenious and brilliant move by Coach Floyd. Listen when the schedule came out this summer, I knew, you knew, our moms knew, people in Burkina Faso knew that there was absolutely chance we were going to get an at-large. Then why even try? Start out the first quarter of the season really well. Then for no apparent reason, just start playing horrible basketball, the likes of which we haven't seen since what, the 50s? Suspensions, mysterious benchings, ejections, players talking back to coaches, not being able to settle on any lineup or rotation....just make it look like the entire program is unraveling. Who is going to take a team like that seriously in March?

But, no, it's all a giant ruse. All the rest of the college basketball world with less brilliant coaches have been wearing themselves out "trying" and "competing" and "playing like they actually give a bleep" for the last 3 months. Now, you have a bunch of tired teams completely overlooking UTEP, while we're sitting here fresh as daisies.

Absolutely brilliant. I don't see how this doesn't work.

Opossum playing dead
Apparent death, colloquially known as playing dead, feigning death, or playing possum, is a behavior in which an animal takes on the appearance of being dead. This form of animal deception is an adaptive behavior also known as tonic immobility or thanatosis. Apparent death can be used as a defense mechanism or as a form of aggressive mimicry, and occurs in a wide range of animals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT