ADVERTISEMENT

Why doesnt Utep play games in the AM?

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
For football and basketball? Maybe both coaches should look into playing some early games. So the players could get use to hit.

Reactions: alvinosports
El pasoans need to start waking up early. Utep should be playing day games. El paso gets great weather that not everything needs to be at night.

Its not like attendance is good now. El paso is known as Sun City and the Sun Bowl and Utep plays its games at night?

Its not like attendance is good now. El paso is known as Sun City and the Sun Bowl and Utep plays its games at night?

There are a lot of things going on on Saturday mornings for a lot of people- children's sports games, etc. It wouldn't help attendance whatsoever.

Not all of us are morning people. Some percentage of potential spectators will just prefer to sleep in.

UTEP is blessed to be able to play night games all season due to El Paso's climate. It's prime time! In the Big Ten, most games are played in the morning or early afternoon; night games are always a featured event, a treasure. Until recently, it was unheard of (except for Minnesota in the Metrodome) to play night games in October or later (because it gets frickin' cold), but the TV revenue has caused them to relent. How great it is in El Paso to be able to enjoy night games all season without freezing your butt off!

In recent years UTEP has often played their last home game or two in the early afternoon, and in my observation the attendance has suffered. If attendance suffers for an early afternoon game, I would think it'd be dismal for a morning game. As a Northwestern fan who is not a morning person who has had to watch and attend many morning games, I vote for the Saturday evening experience on offer at UTEP (if only they would win more games).

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
If UTEP was not a commuter school and had strong student support, AM games could possibly work. But that is not, nor will it ever be the case. I wish all football games from mid October on would start at 3pm., and have more Saturday BB games with a 3 or 4pm start too. I think food and beverage businesses would benefit from that as well. Especially after BB games as most run not more than 2 hours.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT