ADVERTISEMENT

Wichita St trying to get into the MW.

Is that right? UTEP officials have stressed there is no formal interest in joining the MWC? I thought UTEP officials were trying to get us into the MWC.

I wouldn't put much in to it Rot. Stull is tight lipped about everything and sure as hell isn't going to share anything to some sports columnist writing a story about Wichita State trying to join the MW.

There is alot going on behind the scenes. I really wish the MWC news would'nt have been leaked. This whole thing is making me nervous.

Reactions: CubsFan81
Probably for us either! We are not getting in deal with it guys!!

Last edited:
I'm with Purplefire on this. There's been so much talk about moving to the MWC, until it says "in" it's all old news.

There has been no official talk. No one in an official capacity has confirmed anything. It's all been message board fodder and Twitter 'insiders' who have discussed the issue.

I have no belief or hope that we could or might change conference until we hear something from someone who has an actually name and not something like '69mustangGuy.'

Reactions: JCorona
Exactly. Every year we get d*ck teased with talk of a potential conference move. I hope whoever has that inside info is true, but at the same time you can't blame everyone on this board for being super sceptical.

I say just go back to the WAC and go Indy in football. Utep could dominate WAC basketball like NMSU did.

I say just go back to the WAC and go Indy in football. Utep could dominate WAC basketball like NMSU did.
Or, make a deal with the MWC since they have 11 for all sports except football where they have 12, due to having Hawaii for football only. The deal would be place all sports in the MWC except for football, have a scheduling agreement that gives UTEP 5 games vs MWC teams each season and also UTEP would be guaranteed a football invite if an opening comes about. That would make it very easy for UTEP to go indy in football. With NMSU and 5 MWC teams on the schedule UTEP only has to come up with 6 additional games, not that hard.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx

The WAC is about to fold and its the worst conference in America. Zero tv money or exposure. Right now we cant beat NMSU or GCU.

The WAC is about to fold and its the worst conference in America. Zero tv money or exposure. Right now we cant beat NMSU or GCU.

You crazy Utep would beat GCU. Utep would save the WAC from folding and they could control the conference.They would be like Gonzaga.

You crazy Utep would beat GCU. Utep would save the WAC from folding and they could control the conference.They would be like Gonzaga.

Thats crazy no one in their right mind would want to or even suggest joining the WAC. It wont even exist in a few years. GCU would beat us. They are the new Gonzaga. They will get the religous exemption like BYU got to join the WCC. The WCC will be a three bid league.

Sadly, considering the state of UTEP basketball right now, UTEP would not even dominate the WAC if they played in it. Especially if Menzies was still coaching in the WAC.
GCU has only been in Div 1 for 3 seasons and they had the 35th best recruiting class last season. GCU is rising up quickly like Minerforlife said.

Last edited:
Reactions: miner661
Thats crazy no one in their right mind would want to or even suggest joining the WAC. It wont even exist in a few years. GCU would beat us. They are the new Gonzaga. They will get the religous exemption like BYU got to join the WCC. The WCC will be a three bid league.

i was joking about UTEP going to WAC. But they would dominate the WAC and GCU is nowhere close to being like Gonzaga.

I'm becoming very suspicious of our new friend CubsFan81, hmm, could it beeee? The jury is out on you now my friend.

Reactions: allminer
I'm becoming very suspicious of our new friend CubsFan81, hmm, could it beeee? The jury is out on you now my friend.
He has been honest and on point on his posts. I don't think he's trolling at all just speaking some painful truth.

Or, make a deal with the MWC since they have 11 for all sports except football where they have 12, due to having Hawaii for football only. The deal would be place all sports in the MWC except for football, have a scheduling agreement that gives UTEP 5 games vs MWC teams each season and also UTEP would be guaranteed a football invite if an opening comes about. That would make it very easy for UTEP to go indy in football. With NMSU and 5 MWC teams on the schedule UTEP only has to come up with 6 additional games, not that hard.
I like this idea but I know we would never go for it. It's just too risky to leave CUSA hoping down the road the MW takes us in as a member. If everything worked out perfectly and we left after this season to avoid any tv exit fees. (I have no idea how it works.)

Just playing around this what I would like our independent schedule to look like.
Sept 2 @ Oklahoma
Sept 9 home vs MW team eg (San Jose St)
Sept 16 Arizona
Sept 23 @BYU
Sept 30 vs FCS
Oct 7 Army
Oct 14 @ PAC 12. Eg (UCLA)
Oct 21 @ Big 12. Eg (Kansas St)
Oct 28 vs MW. Eg (Air Force)
Nov 4 @ Big 12. Eg (Baylor)
Nov 11 @ PAC 12. Eg (Arizona St)
Nov 18 NMSU
Nov 25 OPEN
All teams in parentheses are still looking for an ooc date.

With plenty of money games it will makeup for the peanuts CUSA was going to pay us in tv revenue.

The only problem will be finding a couple of bowl partners. I would say the New Mexico Bowl, and Arizona Bowl if they go unfulfilled. Maybe even the Austin bowl that never took off.

I like this idea but I know we would never go for it. It's just too risky to leave CUSA hoping down the road the MW takes us in as a member. If everything worked out perfectly and we left after this season to avoid any tv exit fees. (I have no idea how it works.)

Just playing around this what I would like our independent schedule to look like.
Sept 2 @ Oklahoma
Sept 9 home vs MW team eg (San Jose St)
Sept 16 Arizona
Sept 23 @BYU
Sept 30 vs FCS
Oct 7 Army
Oct 14 @ PAC 12. Eg (UCLA)
Oct 21 @ Big 12. Eg (Kansas St)
Oct 28 vs MW. Eg (Air Force)
Nov 4 @ Big 12. Eg (Baylor)
Nov 11 @ PAC 12. Eg (Arizona St)
Nov 18 NMSU
Nov 25 OPEN
All teams in parentheses are still looking for an ooc date.

With plenty of money games it will makeup for the peanuts CUSA was going to pay us in tv revenue.

The only problem will be finding a couple of bowl partners. I would say the New Mexico Bowl, and Arizona Bowl if they go unfulfilled. Maybe even the Austin bowl that never took off.

Sorry to say, but no way in hell UTEP would be going bowling with that brutal schedule.

Reactions: UTEPy79
Yeah. Going independent is insane. There's a reason why so few teams go independent, it's not economically viable for athletic programs let alone UTEP's.

He has been honest and on point on his posts. I don't think he's trolling at all just speaking some painful truth.

Nah, I don't think he's been trolling, there's just been moments here and there that sound eerily similar to you know who, that's all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT