ADVERTISEMENT

Will any changes be made now?

axingfools1

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 6, 2011
In order to try and make a run for the CUSA tourney?

I understand coach Terry's options are limited in regards to numbers, but is there anything he can do (if he is willing) to try and make a run for the CUSA tourney?

We need to go 3-1 over the next 2 weeks to even line up against the 5 seed

How can Terry get Gilyard hot from 3 again? Do we have a 3-2 zone we can deploy in order to save energy/fouls, defend the 3 point line and play our 2 bigs together? Should we shake up the lineup to have more punch off the bench?

It may not be feasable, but I would like to see McGee, Gilyard, Lathon, Eze and Efe start and try a 3-2 zone. Bring PT and Hawkins off the bench. If Gilyard can get hot and we can control the paint, IMO we go 3-1. I know. Easier said than done.

I understand coach Terry's options are limited in regards to numbers, but is there anything he can do (if he is willing) to try and make a run for the CUSA tourney?

How can Terry get Gilyard hot from 3 again? Do we have a 3-2 zone we can deploy in order to save energy/fouls, defend the 3 point line and play our 2 bigs together? Should we shake up the lineup to have more punch off the bench?

It may not be feasable, but I would like to see McGee, Gilyard, Lathon, Eze and Efe start and try a 3-2 zone. Bring PT and Hawkins off the bench. If Gilyard can get hot and we can control the paint, IMO we go 3-1. I know. Easier said than done.
Play out the season. Start preparing for next season.

I would say that based on our underwhelming record, anything is worth a try. Nothing to lose but the game and we do pretty well at that anyhow.

I like that lineup idea all around

Reactions: axingfools1
I think trying a zone defense could be useful against certain teams. Playing Rice, for instance, who shoots well from three point range, is probably not advisable. The defensive effort on the last road trip was as bad as I have seen all season, which is definitely not a good sign. I think the team will be very hard pressed to qualify for the tournament. Hopefully the effort is better defensively, and we are able to knock down some shots. I would be all for trying some of those "junk" defenses we have seen in the past.

Reactions: axingfools1
Dont quit on them now. That USM game put a bad taste of bitter beer but did your wife give up on you after a bad pendejada?

Thomas is a wild card because he is foul prone and UTEP doesn't have enough bodies. CRT needs to rotate the big men effectively and efficiently but I would try the zone. Gilyard has shown to rise up in "backs to the wall" situations so I have hope in him these last four. Cut down the damn TO's by half and play D like your life depends on it. Get 7 fouls committed by opponent early and go no less than seventy five percent from the charity stripe. CUSA refs suck rocks so play clean.

Remember when we went on that run 2 years ago after implementing the point zone? I was hoping to see it continue into last season, but we went back to strictly man and that was that.

This is college. Zone D is legal and implemented at a high level under some coaches. CRT seems to live and die by man defense. I think if he has it in his back pocket then now is the time. Change things up a little. We are out manned, have a propensity to foul at certain positions and have a bunch of games in a short period of time. There can only be a positive effect if it works out IMO.

EDIT: I am defenitely not quitting on this team. Not what I intended at all. Just looking for a spark.

Reactions: Lil_Train
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT