ADVERTISEMENT

Will Senter...

The season is over, so it really doesn't matter who is coaching. He will get paid either way.

No the season is not over. Anything can happen in Conference Tournament. Phil is coaching this team to lose. Tanking only happens in the NBA . if there was a draft in college then i would understand.

Reactions: M i n e r
No the season is not over. Anything can happen in Conference Tournament. Phil is coaching this team to lose. Tanking only happens in the NBA . if there was a draft in college then i would understand.

There is...unofficially...except that Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, Villanova and a few others get 5-6 first round draft choices each year.

The season is over. I'm not sure what you're smoking, but UTEP will probably have to beat Middle Tennessee or Old Dominion if by a huge miracle they get into the championship game. That's not going to happen.

I don't think Phil is coaching the team to lose, it's just that he has no clue what he is doing. It's not like he wants them to lose on purpose.

With that thinking then why play at all? Remember Houston when they beat Utep in El Paso? When a tournament is one and done anything can happen. I actually want them to make the CUSA tournament. Yeah they might lose but i still want them to make it.

And i actually i do think Phil is coaching them to lose. If that is the cases do you think he should be fired?

Because they aren't going to forfeit the games.

What does Houston beating UTEP years ago have to do with anything?

UTEP isn't going to the Big Dance. It's not going to happen.

And, while I think Phil is a terrible coach, I think he wants to win but he's a terrible coach and he doesn't have the ability to win.

Wasnt Houston a 7th seed???

And you didnt answer my question.
What if Phil is coaching the team to lose?
Should he be let go right now?

ODU is a well coached defensive team with significantly more talent than UTEP. They also blew out UTSA in a similar fashion. Without Willms, who provides the only positional talent advantage that UTEP has on most CUSA teams, the team is even easier to defend. Johnson has been awful, and the players tanked the second half. But hey, we may end up sneaking into the tournament.

Reactions: miner1liner
Yeah, he sucked man. Only won a NIT game during his brief tenure. He wasn't as good as Coach Floyd who had to deal with millennials and the transfer epidemic!

Yeah, he sucked man. Only won a NIT game during his brief tenure. He wasn't as good as Coach Floyd who had to deal with millennials and the transfer epidemic!

But millenials were born in the mid 70's, so he did have to deal with millenials. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: unihom
After tonight, I can now say that I have watched the two biggest basketball losses in UTEP history. I distinctly remember watching that Fresno loss, Rab came out with the game plan of trying to run with race horses. The result of trying to run with a far superior athletic team, was that we gave up 108 points and lost by 52.

Tonight, i’m not sure what the plan was, but Johnson was willing to completely sacrifice an embarrassing loss in order to try and prove some type of point by playing Flaggert and Touchet a combined 54 minutes, even though those two scored a combined 4 points in 54 minutes.

It's completely ridiculous to say the season is over: IT HASN'T EVEN STARTED.

That's if they make the tournament.

I think we’re watching football all over again. It’s a hard headed coach with no tactical flexibility and who is either too stubborn or too dumb to understand this “my way or the highway” horsesh*t doesn’t fly.

There is no reason at all Flaggert or Touchet should be getting the minutes they’re getting. God bless those two, and it’s nothing personal but they should be cheerleading at the end of the bench and nothing more.

I think we’re watching football all over again. It’s a hard headed coach with no tactical flexibility and who is either too stubborn or too dumb to understand this “my way or the highway” horsesh*t doesn’t fly.

There is no reason at all Flaggert or Touchet should be getting the minutes they’re getting. God bless those two, and it’s nothing personal but they should be cheerleading at the end of the bench and nothing more.

My sentiments, exactly.

I remember us blowing out Memphis by 30 at home in Floyd's 1st year. What happened in the CUSA tourney championship game? Didn't we also beat MTSU last year. Anything can happen, just not under Johnson. He has these kids playing with concrete shoes and zero motivation.

Hell. Middle of the MW pack SDSU beat 19- win UNLV by 40 tonight. Shit happens!

Last edited:
Reactions: FiliUTEP
After tonight, I can now say that I have watched the two biggest basketball losses in UTEP history. I distinctly remember watching that Fresno loss, Rab came out with the game plan of trying to run with race horses. The result of trying to run with a far superior athletic team, was that we gave up 108 points and lost by 52.

Tonight, i’m not sure what the plan was, but Johnson was willing to completely sacrifice an embarrassing loss in order to try and prove some type of point by playing Flaggert and Touchet a combined 54 minutes, even though those two scored a combined 4 points in 54 minutes.

That Fresno State game "officially" never happened. Tito Maddox had been receiving illegal benefits since high school and was declared ineligible. The game, the biggest blowout in school history, was vacated.

He absolutely will fire him. He knows what has to be done. There is no justification for rewarding such a dismal failure.
I think you misunderstood this post bro. Obviously he's gonna be relieved of his duties at the end of the season, we all know that. What was being asked here, is if he'd be fired now as interim, during the season.

Reactions: MinerJo
I think you misunderstood this post bro. Obviously he's gonna be relieved of his duties at the end of the season, we all know that. What was being asked here, is if he'd be fired now as interim, during the season.

No way he gets fired at this point. That answer doesn’t reflect whether he should or not. Just that he won’t.

Reactions: MinerJo
I think you misunderstood the posted question. It says nothing about "now". It says, " will he be fired ?"

Hi Everyone,
If you have read my previous post i have been correct about our current basketball and football situation. I predicted many things and I have been correct in all of my prediction's. One my previous post here in MD was why Tim Floyd was not successful here at UTEP and I got a lot of people mad at me for posting that. I posted one of the reasons Tim Floyd was not successful at UTEP was because he could not cheat and he had one of the most terrible Assistant coaches around(PJ). I heard players did not like PJ and that was Tim Floyd's downfall by keeping him around.

Hi Everyone,
If you have read my previous post i have been correct about our current basketball and football situation. I predicted many things and I have been correct in all of my prediction's. One my previous post here in MD was why Tim Floyd was not successful here at UTEP and I got a lot of people mad at me for posting that. I posted one of the reasons Tim Floyd was not successful at UTEP was because he could not cheat and he had one of the most terrible Assistant coaches around(PJ). I heard players did not like PJ and that was Tim Floyd's downfall by keeping him around.

Easy my friend. That’s a bold claim. While most of us on here like to think we are Notradamus Jrs., we all wiff from time to time. We tend to remember what we get right, and forget what we get wrong. I’m guilty of it myself. With that said, I tend to agree with many of your predictions and or opinions on here.

https://utep.forums.rivals.com/threads/my-prediction-mt-vs-utep.7042/

I think you misunderstood the posted question. It says nothing about "now". It says, " will he be fired ?"
Lol, everyone apparently understood, but you. I think the poster gave some too much credit for assumed interpretation hahaha. Not arguing, just really hope your kidding and know exactly what was meant and implied by Senter having the Balls to Fire him now, not after the season. First of all interim coached can get promoted at the end of the season or they are not retained to full duty. There is no firing of an interim coach at the end of the season FYI.

The same guys on here that think UTEP has any chance in the CUSA tournament are the same guys that were flowering Floyd up until he was fired. You guys sound like Jerry Jones every year with the Cowboys and their coach Garrett.
UTEP has no chance in the tournament because their coaching is atrocious and we are left with Floyd's excrement to deal with. Also comparing SDSU to UTEP is insane. Any bottom feeder in the Mountain West would run UTEP out of the building by 20.

Reactions: unihom
Losing by 50 and not playing your best players is losing on purpose. What more prood do you need?

I don’t think he is necessarily losing on purpose. I think he is desperately trying to make some god forsaken point, even if it means losing...by nearly 50 points. Either way, the approach he is taking is idiotic.

Reactions: axingfools1
Lol, everyone apparently understood, but you. I think the poster gave some too much credit for assumed interpretation hahaha. Not arguing, just really hope your kidding and know exactly what was meant and implied by Senter having the Balls to Fire him now, not after the season. First of all interim coached can get promoted at the end of the season or they are not retained to full duty. There is no firing of an interim coach at the end of the season FYI.
I will repeat, reiterate and say it again .The original post said, "Will Senter have the balls to fire Phil Johnson". It doesn't say "now" and since it doesn't how can you interpret it as such? It's not important enough to me to argue such a triviality with you, but why don't you re-read the post?

The same guys on here that think UTEP has any chance in the CUSA tournament are the same guys that were flowering Floyd up until he was fired. You guys sound like Jerry Jones every year with the Cowboys and their coach Garrett.
UTEP has no chance in the tournament because their coaching is atrocious and we are left with Floyd's excrement to deal with. Also comparing SDSU to UTEP is insane. Any bottom feeder in the Mountain West would run UTEP out of the building by 20.
I was not a proponent of Floyd.

Also, we had a top team in the MW (BSU) beat until we choked it away. We also beat UNM who is right with SDSU in the standings. Yes they would kill us now, but coaching and momentum can change things that quickly. It is practially too late to fire CJ, but a change a few weeks ago and who knows what could have happened. Anyway, on to next year.

I was not a proponent of Floyd.

Also, we had a top team in the MW (BSU) beat until we choked it away. We also beat UNM who is right with SDSU in the standings. Yes they would kill us now, but coaching and momentum can change things that quickly. It is practially too late to fire CJ, but a change a few weeks ago and who knows what could have happened. Anyway, on to next year.
And Yes, you answered your own statement, as that was the beginning of the season and those teams have steadily improved. Play any of them now and they kill us. That is what good coaching does for a team, and chemistry. SDSU beat Gonzaga and matches up with anyone from the MW, yet, they also can lose to any one of those teams as well. Which makes that team a huge head scratcher. UTEP on the other hand does not have the talent to play with the upper half of CUSA, which gives them no shot. That is the difference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT