ADVERTISEMENT

WKU by possessions

jdubb66

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2009
By my estimation, we were a plus 1 in possessions over the course of the game as we were plus 1 in OR, minus 1 in steals and plus 1 in turnovers. We lost the rebounding edge 37-34 again. We were also up 4 blocks which helps on the possession end.

Overall, those numbers improved which kept us in the game but we were outshot 43% to 15% from 3 as well as at the free throw line by too much to overcome. But I think the possessions illustrate how important rebounds and turnovers are for our chances to win.

To win games where we shoot bad, we need to be up significantly in possessions.

By my estimation, we were a plus 1 in possessions over the course of the game as we were plus 1 in OR, minus 1 in steals and plus 1 in turnovers. We lost the rebounding edge 37-34 again. We were also up 4 blocks which helps on the possession end.

Overall, those numbers improved which kept us in the game but we were outshot 43% to 15% from 3 as well as at the free throw line by too much to overcome. But I think the possessions illustrate how important rebounds and turnovers are for our chances to win.

To win games where we shoot bad, we need to be up significantly in possessions.
We shoot bad EVERY game from 3. We are basically the worst shooting UTEP team in the history of the 3 point line and one of the worst in the country this year (336/350 with a .285%).

How about we not have 20 empty possessions shooting 3s (especially in transition where we have no rebounders). How about using at least HALF of those possessions to attack the rim and get to the line with our athletic/big guards or shoot some midrange? We shoot 60%+ from inside the arc and and 75%+ from the line (which equals approximately 10-12 more points in those 10 possessions). AND this includes our best freethrow shooter missing 4 attempts. We did more than enough otherwise to win.

I wonder if the players understand the numbers here. Or even the coaches.
Terry does. He basically said after the game yesterday that we will have to wait for better shooters to hit the 3s.

He won't adjust. If we cant hit 3s next year then we keeping losing I guess. It's all or nothing from 3, and it's pretty much been nothing after we were figured out.

Just shows he’s incapable of being a head coach. He recruited this team, so it’s all on him. A good coach would adjust his style of play to what he has to work with.
Either fix or resign.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT