ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Volleyball

pay4dirt

All Star
Gold Member
Feb 21, 2007
I've noticed some of the ESPN channels showing women's volleyball matches in off hours. It's usually Power 5 conference games. I've noticed also that Conference USA has one or two teams in the top 25 ranking. Maybe I'm just wishing on one hand and farting on the other, that Conference USA could get in on some revenue stream by showing our conference games. UTEP has its' best team in maybe forever and is ranked third in the conference after Western Kentucky and Rice. We might as well try to maximize our impact on things when we have something positive to show for it. I know numerous bloggers are down on CUSA, but still, when we've got something positive happening, play it up. Any thoughts?

I've noticed some of the ESPN channels showing women's volleyball matches in off hours. It's usually Power 5 conference games. I've noticed also that Conference USA has one or two teams in the top 25 ranking. Maybe I'm just wishing on one hand and farting on the other, that Conference USA could get in on some revenue stream by showing our conference games. UTEP has its' best team in maybe forever and is ranked third in the conference after Western Kentucky and Rice. We might as well try to maximize our impact on things when we have something positive to show for it. I know numerous bloggers are down on CUSA, but still, when we've got something positive happening, play it up. Any thoughts?
Most women's sports is boring and doesn't make any money. Only reason there is women's college athletics is because of title 9. ESPN is really trying to push womens sports and it isnt working.

I know many find women's sports boring. Even ESPN uses the volleyball games and even women's gymnastics as filler material for off hours. But I'm sure ESPN is making some kind of revenue off of it. I'm just griping that CUSA isn't getting in on that revenue stream, even if it is a small one.

Most women's sports is boring and doesn't make any money. Only reason there is women's college athletics is because of title 9. ESPN is really trying to push womens sports and it isnt working.
So what do we do Fili? Get rid of all sports that bring no revenue in. Might as well get rid of soccer, T&F, Golf, Rifle, Cross Country, even softball and baseball.

Reactions: FiliUTEP
So what do we do Fili? Get rid of all sports that bring no revenue in. Might as well get rid of soccer, T&F, Golf, Rifle, Cross Country, even softball and baseball.

Baseball and softball brings in revenue at some schools.

Last edited:
Baseball and softball brings in revenue at some schools.
I almost agreed with you, hence why I said even softball and baseball. But I just looked up the OU's sports revenue and lo and behold the softball team brought in $128,000. Baseball lost $1 million.

I almost agreed with you, hence why I said even softball and baseball. But I just looked up the OU's sports revenue and lo and behold the softball team brought in $128,000. Baseball lost $1 million.

Of course, this is why I said some schools. Texas Tech sells out their baseball games.

UTEPs women's basketball had a good run when Keitha Adams coached here. They did well generating revenue when they made a couple of NIT runs. A lot of schools can cherry pick sports that generate money for them. One school has baseball, another has basketball. I just wish CUSA could make better deals on getting any kind of revenue and exposure for as many CUSA sports as possible. As far as UTEP women's volleyball, two of their losses were against the top two teams in the conference. Plus, they've played one of their tougher OOC schedules in years. So, I won't gripe about their overall record right now.

Last edited:
I am in no way saying to get rid of these programs. I would love for my kids to have an opportunity to earn an athletic scholarship (excluding men's Bball and football). I've looked and I can't find a school whose teams are net positive in the "other" sports. Techs baseball team sells out and is still negative 2.7 million. Which blows my mind.

Many men's basketball programs that are successful lose money or at best break even. Only a few are actually in the black financially on their own. The reality is that football drives all athletic department budgets, no matter what school you talk about. Generating revenue in other sports would be wonderful if it gives young athletes the chance to go to college. But the reality is football, football, football. Too bad UTEP doesn't have a football team that generates real revenue.

Like I said, it would be nice to get some exposure for UTEP sports and CUSA sports on ESPN. Even if it is off hours broadcasting and not much money to be made. Any exposure and revenue would be more than we are getting now.

(2/2)
Only if @UTEPATHLETICS actually want to invest in upgrading Memorial Gym, they may have made the tournament by now. 🏐

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT