ADVERTISEMENT

Wow....board in total meltdown

UTEPfan1966

MI VIP
Apr 26, 2016
While I must agree this wasn't the hire I wanted, who am I (or anyone on here) to complain right now?
Is there an AD posting on this board that can enlighten me on to why we should be acting like we a friggin Tennessee? What does any of you have as far as experience in hiring a football coach?
Ok then....let's look at some things

Aside from hearing rumor that Gilbert was interested, do any of you guys KNOW that anyone else wanted to take over our mess? Of course not. Many on here developed their own list of who we wanted. No where did we hear those names linked. Matter of fact, there were zero leaks from UTEP before this hire. (This makes me believe Stull had zero to do with it)

I believe Dimel reached out to Senter once he was named AD. Others might have too.

Dimil was last a HC over 10 years ago. I bet it's safe to say he will do some things differently. And as far as K State fans being happy he's gone, just remember we have NEVER been happy with a coordinator. So yeah...

I don't read too much into his coaching record from over 10 years ago. Who knows what happened aside from losing. A LOT of time has passed and hopefully he has learned some things. Just because a coach is a winner in the past doesn't mean he will be here. (Ex: Tim Floyd) and vise versa

Again, it's not who I would have like to see, nor is it who I was expecting, but I am not gonna go burn all my UTEP gear just yet.

Exhale people....exhale...

I love the "you haven't done this, so your opinion isn't valid" argument.

A lot ot people criticise the President and theres only been 45 of them so far.

When you go to a restaurant, most people can't talk crap about the food, because its unlikely you were previously a cook there.

I guess the next time I go get a car wash, I won't say anything if I'm displeased with the wash since I've never worked at a car wash before.

Some one bring a pool table to this party. Dimel likes pool tables...do a little research. This board is a "meltdown"??? Has been for some time. Hope we are all wrong about this hire.

I think what most people feel is "we've seen this before" and we've the seen the results. A cheap retread with no excitement, it's just a typical hire for a program without a pulse that needed a jolt in December with a splash hire for once instead of a value hire. Tired of this "poor us" mentality, some want their alma mater to strive, look at the budget basketball has? FBS football brings in $$$, I think I am more pissed that UTEP refuses to invest in this program by bringing in a special coaching staff. I bet Dana has a shit budget for assistant coaches. Hope I'm wrong, but this just feels like the same old to most of us complaining. Go Miners though...

UTEP gear burn party tonight, outside the Durham.

Some one bring a pool table to this party. Dimel likes pool tables...do a little research. This board is a "meltdown"??? Has been for some time. Hope we are all wrong about this hire.

His hire makes no sense. None. I expect for Senter to explain why Gilbert, Keeler or Briles and the other OC from Okie State were not hired. The first three are reported to have shown interest. Keeler actually applied.

1) He runs a run first offense. (Yup, here we go again)
2) He was FIRED from KSU. Why are we taking someone who was fired?
3) This was a Stull hire. Not a Senter hire. If we burn anything in effigy, it's Stull! Like I said, I smell some rats and Stull is part of it. Stull knew he was getting let go from KSU and KSU I'm sure gave one hell of a sell job.

Reactions: utep-piggy
That's what most of us are saying Bigwood. There's the fans like UTEPfan1966 that don't look at things without their orange blinders.

We're disappointed because it feels Stull like and cheap like. We wanted something more.

What if he goes 0-12 next year? Then what? At least if it would have been a young, first time head coach, you could give him a pass because he was cleaning up the mess. Instead we have a guy who runs a similar system and has been a coach before.

His hire makes no sense. None. I expect for Senter to explain why Gilbert, Keeler or Briles and the other OC from Okie State were not hired. The first three are reported to have shown interest. Keeler actually applied.

1) He runs a run first offense. (Yup, here we go again)
2) He was FIRED from KSU. Why are we taking someone who was fired?
3) This was a Stull hire. Not a Senter hire. If we burn anything in effigy, it's Stull! Like I said, I smell some rats and Stull is part of it. Stull knew he was getting let go from KSU and KSU I'm sure gave one hell of a sell job.

Maybe they only showed interest to get a raise/promotion elsewhere.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
I agree that this University needed a massive shot in the arm with this hire and this hire did little to nothing to satisfy those issues. The thought of going from one run first offense to another is such a let down in my eyes. I want to see what he says in his introductory press conference. Part of me wants to have faith in the hire because we all wanted Senter as the new AD, so it’s hard to want to abandon ship less than three weeks into his tenure.

Reactions: El Paso 777
A cheap retread with no excitement, it's just a typical hire for a program without a pulse that needed a jolt in December with a splash hire for once instead of a value hire.

Yup. This is a classic Charlie Bailey hire. Total retread. The only key difference is he had one spectacular win against Florida at Florida when he was at Memphis. He did nothing after and they canned him. He was brought in with the sell job that he was defense minded and UTEP would be a gang tackling team that plays slobber knocker football. There were some exciting games but there tons of losses and one bad blowout to SJSU at the Sun Bowl if I remember correctly. Bailey brought his "Awe schucks folks!" persona to El Paso the local media ate it up like a toddler given some cotton candy. Dude had some cajones to write to the local media that Kugler was a great hire. Yes we didn't know what Kug was bringing but to chime in after your losing ways took guts (especially because those players were Nord players and loyal to Nord, not Bailey, at that point in time).

That's what most of us are saying Bigwood. There's the fans like UTEPfan1966 that don't look at things without their orange blinders.

We're disappointed because it feels Stull like and cheap like. We wanted something more.

What if he goes 0-12 next year? Then what? At least if it would have been a young, first time head coach, you could give him a pass because he was cleaning up the mess. Instead we have a guy who runs a similar system and has been a coach before.
System is not the same, watch K State tape and highlights. Just to be clear I don't like the hire though and thought Senter said we'd go to an exciting Offensive Scheme that scores more points. Unless Dimel hires a great Offensive Mind and opens it up, watch K State highlights and you'll see what to expect, zone read, QB Sneak, option, then play action deep.

Reactions: axingfools1
Maybe they only showed interest to get a raise/promotion elsewhere.
Totally true. However, we will never know.

This is Senter's first litmus test. Does he create a new accountable and transparent athletic program or the same ol "keep in the dark. Don't say a thing! Sell them this and keep saying it until it becomes true" culture.

I can tell you that UH fans look at this guy with the same disdain many of us look at Kugs with. ( I'm not talking Kugler the man, but Kugs the coach.)

Someone on this forum mentioned that he almost drove UH fb into the ground. Very true. I haven't been a Coogs fb fan much more than 3 years, but on their forums, the contempt for Dimel runs deep.

Reactions: LaserCoog

These are the K-State highlights from a little over a week ago. I’m not trying to defend the hire by any means but K-State was running 3-5 WR sets. And even on their 2 WR sets the wideouts were running down field. And they even threw in a HB pass for good measure. Those are all things that UTEP failed to do all year. Just a little food for thought here.

I hope I'm wrong about Coach Dimel but he doesn't add any excitement as a splash hire. His overall losing record as a head coach with an 0-11 season is extremely troubling. I'm guessing Dimel was the coach who WANTED to coach here and ACCEPTED the low-ball offer we proposed. I don't want to give him any time to build this program, Kiffin turned FLORIDA ATLANTIC into a 10-game winner in 1 year. The clock starts now, none of this "4-year rebuild plan". And why is he waiting so long to get here? I still don't understand why he needs to continue coaching at K State through the bowl game. #frustrated

Aside from hearing rumor that Gilbert was interested, do any of you guys KNOW that anyone else wanted to take over our mess?
That's an entirely plausible explanation: nobody else wanted this job. That's really sad, if true. It also implies that we're still trying to do things on the cheap. If you raise the salary, more people will be willing to take the job. You get what you pay for.

These are the K-State highlights from a little over a week ago. I’m not trying to defend the hire by any means but K-State was running 3-5 WR sets. And even on their 2 WR sets the wideouts were running down field. And they even threw in a HB pass for good measure. Those are all things that UTEP failed to do all year. Just a little food for thought here.
Exciting finish and his son scored a TD

I think more than anything, this hire clearly shows who is running the show, and has been for a long time at UTEP. Until that changes, we can expect more of the same. UTEP's motto should be "we are who we are, and we do more with less" when it comes to athletics.

I honestly think the motto needs to be corrected and changed, though. "We do less with less", because we haven't done "more with less" in quite some time, unfortunately.

I can tell you that UH fans look at this guy with the same disdain many of us look at Kugs with. ( I'm not talking Kugler the man, but Kugs the coach.)

Someone on this forum mentioned that he almost drove UH fb into the ground. Very true. I haven't been a Coogs fb fan much more than 3 years, but on their forums, the contempt for Dimel runs deep.

I WAS there for the Dimel years at UH and it was beyond ugly, truly the worst of times for Houston football. Pablum personality, ground and pound offense, and delayed draw on anything over 3rd and 4. With the rumored available options out there, somebody needs to appoint a special counsel to get to the bottom of this hire.

This was an opportunity for Natalicio/UTEP to make a statement, a bold statement, about the direction of UTEP athletics in general and the football program in particular. Bold but not reckless. They have made their statement...

While I must agree this wasn't the hire I wanted, who am I (or anyone on here) to complain right now?
Is there an AD posting on this board that can enlighten me on to why we should be acting like we a friggin Tennessee? What does any of you have as far as experience in hiring a football coach?
Ok then....let's look at some things

Aside from hearing rumor that Gilbert was interested, do any of you guys KNOW that anyone else wanted to take over our mess? Of course not. Many on here developed their own list of who we wanted. No where did we hear those names linked. Matter of fact, there were zero leaks from UTEP before this hire. (This makes me believe Stull had zero to do with it)

I believe Dimel reached out to Senter once he was named AD. Others might have too.

Dimil was last a HC over 10 years ago. I bet it's safe to say he will do some things differently. And as far as K State fans being happy he's gone, just remember we have NEVER been happy with a coordinator. So yeah...

I don't read too much into his coaching record from over 10 years ago. Who knows what happened aside from losing. A LOT of time has passed and hopefully he has learned some things. Just because a coach is a winner in the past doesn't mean he will be here. (Ex: Tim Floyd) and vise versa

Again, it's not who I would have like to see, nor is it who I was expecting, but I am not gonna go burn all my UTEP gear just yet.

Exhale people....exhale...
Very well said. Completely agree with your thoughts. GO MINERS !!!

Worst case scenario. Dimel flops and and after 5 years, we'll still be stuck in CUSA while NMSU joins BYU in the Mountain West. President Di will be gone and won't have a care in the world where UTEP athletics is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT