ADVERTISEMENT

You can’t say President Heather Wilson doesn’t support athletics

Rice endowment - 6.16 billion
UTEP endowment - 241 million

Probably easier to get things done with richer alumni…

Her and Senter could announce a 100 million dollar campaign to improve UTEP athletics, then achieve it. That would make me feel better.
I think people overlook the investment Rice has made in football. Their football performance center was $ 35 million and has three times more square footage than the Durham Center. They also have a newly constructed indoor practice bubble.

Without the investment Rice still may of have made the cuts because University presidents love partnering with them because of their ivy league quality academics. They're also in Houston but the investments in facilities certainly helped push them over the top.
Have you ever seen the tuition cost for Rice? Do you know who their alumni and donor pool is? You’re comparing Rice to Utep?

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
What about this one?

UTEP endowment 241 million
UTSA endowment 181 million
What on campus facilities do they have? Probably easier to build nice on campus practice stuff than a stadium right? They rent the Alamodome and don’t pay for upkeep and will probably never have their “own” stadium.

What on campus facilities do they have? Probably easier to build nice on campus practice stuff than a stadium right? They rent the Alamodome and don’t pay for upkeep and will probably never have their “own” stadium.

There's that one. There's this in the works

They pay their coach 2.8 million.

How much does UTEP pay for upkeep on the Sun Bowl? Is it comparable to what UTSA pays in rent?

Bottom line is UTEP has a bunch of broke fans that whine cuz tickets aren't $5.

• Haha
Reactions: shyminer81
[QUOTE="JCorona, post: 186450, member: Bottom line is UTEP has a bunch of broke fans that whine cuz tickets aren't $5.
[/QUOTE]
Fan blaming again. What is UTEPs record in football and basketball since August of 2015?

Please note any significant victories of Top 25 or “power” teams as well.

[QUOTE="JCorona, post: 186450, member: Bottom line is UTEP has a bunch of broke fans that whine cuz tickets aren't $5.
Fan blaming again. What is UTEPs record in football and basketball since August of 2015?

[/QUOTE]
Thats all you got. We suck that's why we don't support and donate. What about schools that also suck and still get shit done. Egg and chicken argument all over again. That mentality is why we're literally the last of 3 schools that no conference wants. Congratulations you win the argument.

Thats all you got. We suck that's why we don't support and donate. What about schools that also suck and still get shit done. Egg and chicken argument all over again. That mentality is why we're literally the last of 3 schools that no conference wants. Congratulations you win the argument.
[/QUOTE]

What schools “suck and still get shit done”?

[/QUOTE]
I've said the programs many times. We've done this dance many times.

You're rebuttal will be. Have they only had 6 winning seasons and no bowl wins since 67?

Point is not every schools wins and then invests.

Invest and then win. That's what UTEP has to do. Or we could sit here and say how much we've always suck, and how things will never change.

It's insane to do the same thing....

You're rebuttal will be. Have they only had 6 winning seasons and no bowl wins since 67?

Invest and then win. That's what UTEP has to do. Or we could sit here and say how much we've always suck, and how things will never change.

[/QUOTE]
If we’ve do it “many times”, it should be easy to list 2 schools. Which 2 schools (of many apparently) invested while they “sucked” and are now way better off?

Have you ever seen the tuition cost for Rice? Do you know who their alumni and donor pool is? You’re comparing Rice to Utep?
Most of their alumni don't care about athletics. They nor any school uses their endowment for athletics. Their tuition cost that much because they employ the top 1% of professors in the world. They don't have top academics by accident. They pay the absolute best in their fields.

Reactions: Lil_Train

If we’ve do it “many times”, it should be easy to list 2 schools. Which 2 schools (of many apparently) invested while they “sucked” and are now way better off?
[/QUOTE]
It is easy. I already know your response to that too.

That's a rich city blah blah blah....

Funny story about Rice, I met my first and only Rice grad recently, she wanted to hire me for a project trainer position. We talked and I told her I went to UTEP. She offered me on the spot 😂 I had to back out, but it’s the thought that counts! Rice is in the AAC simply because of Houston and their nerds. UTEP is stuck in CUSA because of location, not fan support or academics.

[/QUOTE]
List em

I have, go dig em up. I already know all your responses to them. No point in listing them again.
Unable to type out two names, just avoid and deflect.
[/QUOTE]
And how am I able to know all your responses to the teams I've listed?

Don't feel like reading the same responses.

It doesn't matter but obviously sucking and not supporting isn't the solution for UTEP athletics.

By all means let's keep doing that until the program is extinct.

[/QUOTE]

Tulane
SMU
Texas State
Georgia State
Akron
UNT
Western Michigan
UAB
Coastal Carolina
Utah State

Those are the g5 schools I can come up with off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more.

Reactions: MinerFan79
Add UTSA to the list too. They broke ground on their 40 million RACE facility in early 2020. Prior to the record of 4-8, 3-9, 6-5, 6-7, 3-9, 4-8....

Not sure if you are deriding the UTSA campus or praising it...

I drive by the campus every day, I work with a bunch of UTSA grads. The speed at which UTSA has left UTEP in the dust is mind blowing. Their engineering program wasn't even ABET certified 15 years ago. They used us for a bunch of their growth initiatives, I kid you not. Their "birds up" thing was conceived after the AD saw our "picks up". I know people that could have gone to UT-Austin or UTSA for engineering and they chose UTSA because of the professors there. They have a downtown campus and they keep making additions to their main campus. They have a hockey rink in their student rec center!?!? Architecturally, their campus does not compare to UTEP, but they are flush with cash and it's burning a hole in their pocket.
If UTSA is so flush with cash then maybe they could start by building an on-campus football stadium.

If UTSA is so flush with cash then maybe they could start by building an on-campus football stadium.
When they announced the AAC invite, they also included all of their facility plans with basketball arena and football stadium (35,000 seat).

Tulane
SMU
Texas State
Georgia State
Akron
UNT
Western Michigan
UAB
Coastal Carolina
Utah State

Those are the g5 schools I can come up with off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more.
[/QUOTE]
Tulane, Texas St, Georgia St, Akron, UNT, W Michigan have all been very successful with all those investments!

UAB had to kill their program to get investment and fans already don’t fill their new stadium.

Really great examples! If only we could be like Akron and Tulane!!

Same ole response. Yes, I wish UTEP was like Tulane. Making 7 million a year in the AAC playing on ESPN instead of wondering if we're going to end up in the WAC or Southland.

Lame— Why would they need that ? What they have is centrally located and perfect.
Not for their students.

And I actually hate the Alamodome. It's a crypt and has no character. It's in a good location for tourists walking over from the River Walk (great bowl game, lousy stadium), but I don't know how much of a draw that is for the locals.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
What did I say, their city is richer blah blah blah...

I think we would all rather suck in a stable conference making millions than still suck and be in our current situation.
Can’t join if you’re not wanted or considered. According to Steve K, UTEP reached out the Sun Belt too. I guess ULMs facilities are better than UTEPs. Damn them!

• Wow
Reactions: FarWestTexas
Not for their students.

And I actually hate the Alamodome. It's a crypt and has no character. It's in a good location for tourists walking over from the River Walk (great bowl game, lousy stadium), but I don't know how much of a draw that is for the locals.
It’s actually quite a walk from the Riverwalk so that’s not a selling point but it’s been modernized and is a nice stadium. They don’t have to share it with anyone and again, is centrally located. UTSA itself is way up in the NW section of town

Can’t join if you’re not wanted or considered. According to Steve K, UTEP reached out the Sun Belt too. I guess ULMs facilities are better than UTEPs. Damn them!
Try harder. Why do you think we're not wanted? I'll tell you. Cuz we suck and have no plan to stop sucking. No projects or plans to build anything. Can't even do a simple 15 million dollar renovation on time.

ULM has been in the Sun Belt since the beginning.

It’s actually quite a walk from the Riverwalk so that’s not a selling point but it’s been modernized and is a nice stadium. They don’t have to share it with anyone and again, is centrally located. UTSA itself is way up in the NW section of town
It's no longer a walk from the River Walk than walking to the Sun Bowl if you park up on the streets on the other side of Mesa.

I've been to the Alamo Bowl twice (Northwestern) and walked over from the River Walk both times and I don't remember it being too bad. And then when the game's over, people walk back to the River Walk and party.

Great bowl game, but not a great fan of the stadium or atmosphere. The closest match (in those respects) I can think of is the Motor City Bowl.

Try harder. Why do you think we're not wanted? I'll tell you. Cuz we suck and have no plan to stop sucking. No projects or plans to build anything. Can't even do a simple 15 million dollar renovation on time.

ULM has been in the Sun Belt since the beginning.
Small small part of it. Not wanted because we don’t have access to local recruits, we’re “far way” from other potential conference members, and offer no TV market. Joining CUSA was the most “big time” shot UTEP had and they’re never getting back now. Why fly to UTEP when you can play somewhere closer and have a plethora of D1 recruits to “choose from”?

Small small part of it. Not wanted because we don’t have access to local recruits, we’re “far way” from other potential conference members, and offer no TV market. Joining CUSA was the most “big time” shot UTEP had and they’re never getting back now. Why fly to UTEP when you can play somewhere closer and have a plethora of D1 recruits to “choose from”?
Like I've said many times we have to make up our location and tv market with other factors. We have no control over that. The things we do control such as strong fan support and top notch facilities don't exist. We'll continue our path into oblivion cuz fans want Kobe beef at $5 a pound.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT