ADVERTISEMENT

You can’t say President Heather Wilson doesn’t support athletics

It's no longer a walk from the River Walk than walking to the Sun Bowl if you park up on the streets on the other side of Mesa.

I've been to the Alamo Bowl twice (Northwestern) and walked over from the River Walk both times and I don't remember it being too bad. And then when the game's over, people walk back to the River Walk and party.

Great bowl game, but not a great fan of the stadium or atmosphere. The closest match (in those respects) I can think of is the Motor City Bowl.
Nope. It’s significantly further than that plus you have to cross a freeway. Nice try though. Point is the stadium is in a perfect part of town. Your comment that they need a new football stadium on campus is wrong

Reactions: JCorona
Nope. It’s significantly further than that plus you have to cross a freeway. Nice try though. Point is the stadium is in a perfect part of town. Your comment that they need a new football stadium on campus is wrong
I always get the feeling UTSA is San Antonio's football team. Having the stadium in the heart of the city is a big upside for them.

River Walk is less than a mile from the Alamodome. Google says 0.6 mile walk:
Link: Distance to walk from River Walk to Alamodome

The distance to walk from the Walgreens just on the other side of Mesa to the Sun Bowl is 0.4 miles:
Distance from Walgreens to Sun Bowl

The residential streets you can park on to walk to the Sun Bowl, I would say, are another 0.2 miles up the hill. So I think it's a very comparable 0.6 miles.

I don't remember crossing the highway to be much of a hurdle since there is a pedestrian overpass.

I've been to the bowl game twice and the walk was never an issue at all.

Last edited:
Not for their students.

And I actually hate the Alamodome. It's a crypt and has no character. It's in a good location for tourists walking over from the River Walk (great bowl game, lousy stadium), but I don't know how much of a draw that is for the locals.
Don't forget about the Final Four.

Even your link shows a 2 minute walk vs a 14 minute walk.
I changed it, because the Don Haskins Center isn't on the other side of Mesa. I've parked in the residential streets on the other side of Mesa many times, which was the premise of my post, and I did the math for that. Tell me where it's wrong.

I changed it, because the Don Haskins Center isn't on the other side of Mesa. I've parked in the residential streets on the other side of Mesa many times, which was the premise of my post, and I did the math for that. Tell me where it's wrong.
You’re wrong that they need a stadium on campus. It’s in a perfect spot. Period

You’re wrong that they need a stadium on campus. It’s in a perfect spot. Period
That's a matter of opinion and we can agree to disagree on that. But on the walking distance from the River Walk being comparable to parking on the other side of Mesa and walking to the Sun Bowl, I just presented you with facts. Acknowledge it or rebut it.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
That's a matter of opinion and we can agree to disagree on that. But on the walking distance from the River Walk being comparable to parking on the other side of Mesa and walking to the Sun Bowl, I just presented you with facts. Acknowledge it or rebut it.
I think it depends on how many students that have that live on campus. I believe they’re a commuter school too. They will never leave the Alamodome. No need too. The city needs them to play there as much as possible. It’s old as f now anyway.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
I think it depends on how many students that have that live on campus. I believe they’re a commuter school too. They will never leave the Alamodome. No need too. The city needs them to play there as much as possible. It’s old as f now anyway.
It was renovated in 2017 and looks great. It sat for a lot of years after the Spurs left it and was basically just used for events and a bowl game

‘post of the month’ winner, if only it were true
This could be the perfect time to start such a campaign. Next wave of realignment at least we're somewhat ready for it and doing everything we can to be an attractive option.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I guess I'm thinking of Minnesota, who played in the Metrodome for many years before building their own on-campus stadium, a very nice one. The atmosphere at their own stadium is miles better than it ever was at the Metrodome. Having an on-campus stadium is considered desirable for a program that aspires to break into the big-time. Maybe you're right and it's not such a big deal for a commuter school, but even a 6-0 UTSA playing in their homecoming game couldn't crack 28,000 fans in the cavernous, 65,000 seat Alamodome. I just wonder if a somewhat smaller stadium on their own campus would make for a better game-day experience.

Not for their students.

And I actually hate the Alamodome. It's a crypt and has no character. It's in a good location for tourists walking over from the River Walk (great bowl game, lousy stadium), but I don't know how much of a draw that is for the locals.

Character is subjective. I don't go to the Alamodome to watch UTSA. I go to see UTEP and high school basketball. It's pretty cool parking at the UTSA campus and getting bussed to the Alamodome for free. The only knock I hear from UTSA people is that tailgating is heavily restricted (you can only take up X amount of space near your vehicle, only certain spots are designated for tailgating, I think you can't do propane, no glass container, etc.) Most people tailgate/drink near campus and then take the bus to the game.

I guess I'm thinking of Minnesota, who played in the Metrodome for many years before building their own on-campus stadium, a very nice one. The atmosphere at their own stadium is miles better than it ever was at the Metrodome. Having an on-campus stadium is considered desirable for a program that aspires to break into the big-time. Maybe you're right and it's not such a big deal for a commuter school, but even a 6-0 UTSA playing in their homecoming game couldn't crack 28,000 fans in the cavernous, 65,000 seat Alamodome. I just wonder if a somewhat smaller stadium on their own campus would make for a better game-day experience.

Recruits like the idea of playing in a 50K+ indoor stadium that was designed to host an NFL team. The maintenance is acceptable on the dome, and UTSA can focus on spending money on other things. Like their poor excuse of a basketball gym, or stopping Teca Tech from poaching their coaches, or CUSA exit fees. They have tons of land to expand if needed (by their track facilities). It is a good arrangement and I don't see it changing in the next 5 to 10 years.

Not for their students.

I've only been there once, back in the '90s to see a Jimmy Page/Robert Plant concert. I know the stadium was built with the intent to lure an NFL team. But even back then, the Alamodome never appealed to me as a quality NFL stadium. It sure as hell wouldn't be up to NFL standards today.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
30 Years ago it was great because its purpose was to be a Professional Football Stadium in the 90's. A Time in which people used to go to a game, get a beer and a crappy hot dog, and actually sit and watch a game.

Now Stadiums are built with the Casual Fan in mind as well. The Wife can look at stores and get sushi. The kids can play in the splash park. The Corporate Brass can entertain clients.

I remember Flying to my sisters in Oakland and getting Raiders Tickets for $80 in the 8th row on the 30yd line. That's an $800 ticket today and people don't bat an eye to pay that, because going to a game is a bucket list event for many and not a routine.

No NFL team would move into the Alamodome today without massive renovations. It was a $180 million dollar stadium. Stadiums don't make it 30 years anymore. But I digress.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT