ADVERTISEMENT

2015 PG Committed Yesterday

greenevansj

New guy
Jul 10, 2014
Just heard that Bakari Evelyn committed to UTEP on his visit yesterday. Here is a highlight video. Looks like he wears the number 4 always. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RUAL4mfuT0

Played at Detroit Consortium (Vince Hunter) this year. Looks like he can contribute immediately. Has the kind of game you can only develop playing hours of 25 at the school yard. Longer and stronger looking that his online profiles would have you believe. Physically mature and can fight through contact to finish. If he makes it here, he'll be a prize recruit.

Actually played in Arizona, transferred out of the Detroit area. Miner Rush had a good article.

Like jdubb mentioned, the kid plays through contact. Has another gear, much like Omega. Crafty when slashing to the hoop. Finds the open man nicely, or can finish himself. Fluid player who looks like he could help, if not immediately, then pretty quickly. Looks like an upgrade from Lew imo.

Have looked as widely as I can and have found no evidence of a commitment from Evelyn. This is the kind of PG UTEP needs imo, though. Hopefully greenevansj has some inside scoop the rest of us aren't privy to.

It is an inside scoop. My job places me near some very important people in the athletic department. I hear them talk. ;)

Originally posted by greenevansj:
It is an inside scoop. My job places me near some very important people in the athletic department. I hear them talk. ;)
That is some much needed good news in Minerland. I like the film on this kid. I realize you may not be able to elaborate, but any particular reason the info on his verbal is being withheld for now?

Most of the news in Bakari Evelyn is about his transfer from Southfield Christian in Detroit to Gilbert Christrian in Arizona. He won 3 state titles in Michigan and seemed to be an up and coming star. Then he tried to transfer to Detroit consortium but it failed. Not sure if that's the Hunter connection or not. He was benched for much of the season because of his transfer attempt. He then Made the local headlines in Arizona by being ruled ineligible by association transfer rules. He then finished out a prep school called Hillcrest Academy. One of his Hillcrest teammates is Lyrik Schriener. A guard heavily recruited by Floyd last season and former teammate of Terry Winn. Schriener backed out of his official visit to UTEP at the last second. He appeared to be headed to Louisville but reclassified and is now committed to TCU. So there is a six degrees of separations situation with both Hunter and Winn. Not sure how much Hunter factors in to any of this. I think the UTEP staff is making inroads into Phoenix and Detroit. Remember MaryQwell Jackson was a Detroit product as well and the Head Basketball Coach at Gilbert Christian is a Detroit Coaching Legend.

What does it matter? According to our reliable source Carlos floyd is going to be gone anyway...

This is the 4th year in a row Floyd is gone for greener pastures, rumors will surface and maybe one dy he will ho, but I deal in facts not BS rumors. So til then I want a PG and Vince to come back and Utep to host tourney and to have another hope even if though I've been disappointed, that Utep will make the NCAA consistently under Floyd, but maybe thats just a pipe dream at this point. Anyway keep this post about the PG and dont derail it about Floyd leaving. Whether it's this PG or another, we just need a quality PG period!

Is there a reason why it is being kept a secret?

Originally posted by picks up:

Is there a reason why it is being kept a secret?
We are close to the regular signing period (April 15-May 20). My hunch is that we won't be hearing anything official from UTEP until that period either begins or ends.

Originally posted by allminer:
We are close to the regular signing period (April 15-May 20). My hunch is that we won't be hearing anything official from UTEP until that period either begins or ends.
I'm not talking about UTEP announcing it, they never announce anything until the prospect is signed. I was talking about all the national recruiting analysts. If they can find out about a guy like Josh McSwiggan committing then they can find out Bakari Evelyn committing.

Originally posted by Ronstr300:
Well, by God it must not be true if YOU say so.
I'm not saying that. It's difficult to keep commitments a secret these days and if he did commit they are all doing one hell of a job keeping it hush hush.

For what it's worth I'm not trying to discredit greenevensj and I'm sorry if it came out that way

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT