ADVERTISEMENT

2017 bball recruits

PURPLEFIRE

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 5, 2003
yes I know I will hear a lot of crap.... but I am actually encouraged with the recruiting class for next year.... at first glance I wasn't too excited but looking it over a bit more I actually think it could be a really good class and there could be some hope.... what do you all think?

Please note not asking whether we should fire Floyd or not....or whether we will run them out of town... asking what you think of their ability....

Reactions: mikesarabia
I'm tempering my excitement, just because you just never know who is coming and who will be leaving. It does add to the uncertainty for next year. On paper it does seem like these kids are an upgrade to what they currently have and I do hope that Gilyard can take over for Artis next year.

Sorry Purple, but you can't honestly look at next year's class with the cloud hanging over the program right now. That is, whether or not Floyd will be the coach anymore. How many of these kids will still come if he is gone? How many will come if he is here? How many will not qualify? How many will have their offer pulled?
Soooooooo many questions...

Talent looks ok, but hey, I say that every year. I obviously don't know squat.

So am I... EVERY GD YEAR. Floyd sure is good about recruiting guys that he either runs out of town or doesnt coach and are forced to improve on their own, if at all. I do like these guys coming in but we all know the drill. Some wont make it here, a few other will but will leave in the first couple of weeks.

Reactions: UTEP05
Everyone knows he will be here next season even if he does not win another game!! The only way he leaves is if he retires and I seriously doubt he will retire on a bad note!

Last edited:
How many times have we said, "Wait till next year"? Answer:Every year! It always looks better, but unfortunately; never is. I'm worn out with living in this "land of make believe ".

Being located in San Antonio, I have had the opportunity to see Kobe Magee play a couple of times. In the first game I saw him play against Steele High, he did not have a very good game shooting the ball. He did do a solid job running his team, and getting his teammates involved. In the second game, he did shoot much better and scored 30+ points. His team, in all honesty, is not very good; so that makes evaluating his play even more difficult.

He is super quick, but very slightly built. I did think the length of the Steele team had a factor on his shooting, which is something he will obviously face at the next level as well. I did speak to several of the Brandeis folks, and they spoke very highly of Magee and his potential at the next level. I do think he is a much more steady type of player than let's say an Artis or Harris (I consider both extremely erratic). However, at the same time, I wouldn't say his ceiling is as high due to his lack of stature. In college, his size will be a factor on the defensive end, as he will be over matched guarding a two IMO. I mention this because next year we could possibly have three diminutive guys (under six feet) on the team. To me, the question of playing two of them at the same time would be a huge challenge, primarily on the defensive end (Floyd has mentioned wanting to play two small guards). The examples that have been used are Stewart\Hardaway and Stewart\Rivera. However, the key with those small guards was that they could really defend as well. We definitely do not have a shot blocker on the back end like a Van Dyke to rely on either.

It is always difficult to project a player moving up to the next level, but I do like Magee who is steady, a solid shooter, and can get to any spot on the floor. My concerns would be his ability to finish at the rim, defending bigger guys, and maintaining his shooting percentage at the next level. Based on people in the area who I have spoken to, they think UTEP got a sleeper, and a great kid off the court as well.

The only thing to get excited about is Tim Floyd's departure. Seven new freshman players for next year means consistent losing the next 2-3 years. Enough is enough.

The only thing to get excited about is Tim Floyd's departure. Seven new freshman players for next year means consistent losing the next 2-3 years. Enough is enough.

Exactly what I said this thread was not about!!! I want to know what you think of the new players!!

Being located in San Antonio, I have had the opportunity to see Kobe Magee play a couple of times. In the first game I saw him play against Steele High, he did not have a very good game shooting the ball. He did do a solid job running his team, and getting his teammates involved. In the second game, he did shoot much better and scored 30+ points. His team, in all honesty, is not very good; so that makes evaluating his play even more difficult.

He is super quick, but very slightly built. I did think the length of the Steele team had a factor on his shooting, which is something he will obviously face at the next level as well. I did speak to several of the Brandeis folks, and they spoke very highly of Magee and his potential at the next level. I do think he is a much more steady type of player than let's say an Artis or Harris (I consider both extremely erratic). However, at the same time, I wouldn't say his ceiling is as high due to his lack of stature. In college, his size will be a factor on the defensive end, as he will be over matched guarding a two IMO. I mention this because next year we could possibly have three diminutive guys (under six feet) on the team. To me, the question of playing two of them at the same time would be a huge challenge, primarily on the defensive end (Floyd has mentioned wanting to play two small guards). The examples that have been used are Stewart\Hardaway and Stewart\Rivera. However, the key with those small guards was that they could really defend as well. We definitely do not have a shot blocker on the back end like a Van Dyke to rely on either.

It is always difficult to project a player moving up to the next level, but I do like Magee who is steady, a solid shooter, and can get to any spot on the floor. My concerns would be his ability to finish at the rim, defending bigger guys, and maintaining his shooting percentage at the next level. Based on people in the area who I have spoken to, they think UTEP got a sleeper, and a great kid off the court as well.

Thank you for that!!! Maybe it's just me but if I were the coach I would definitely recruit height and length.... to me these smaller guys are always facing an uphill battle...

I am kinda liking what I hear about Roderick Williams and there was another that was 6-8, 9 that I liked what I read can't remember his name

Anyone know anything about that Canadian guy that is practicing with the team I think he is like 6-5?

The only big man we have added up to this point is Tyrus Smith. Next year, we would be relying on Willms (if the foot holds up), Jones (VERY raw), and perhaps Thomas (who has been a major disappointment). With the majority of impact high school guys signing early, I think the staff would need to add an impact JC big man late. They did bring in a ton of wing players, so hopefully one or two of those guys can contribute immediately. One thing is for sure, if a JC player is looking to transfer somewhere where there would be immediate playing time, I would think UTEP would be the perfect place.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT