ADVERTISEMENT

3 things I want from our new coach

A lot of people will disagree, but if there is a new coach it should be a no brainer. UTEP basketball is tough job the tradition and prestige is long dead. There is one person who knows how to win at UTEP. All Senter needs to do is get on a plane to Lexington and bring back Tony Barbee.

Is there a Barbee tree where UTEP might take a stem? Or a vine from a Gillespie plant?

You all are nuts barber had one lucky year here and went off and did absolutely nothing.... I would rather have an up n coming asssistant coach to that guy

Reactions: mikesarabia
You all are nuts barber had one lucky year here and went off and did absolutely nothing.... I would rather have an up n coming asssistant coach to that guy

Barbee won games in the postseason, made it to the Big Dance, and got UTEP in the Top 25. He was a tremendous coach at UTEP.

Reactions: ShovelMan66
I agree Tony would be a great hire and I do not think he would leave this time. I heard he did not feel appreciated by the administration $$. He made progress each season and had amazing ideas like the $10 first come first served seats during the CBI championship. Great talent and had Memphis’ number. Had he stayed we would have won a tourney game but instead Captain Floyd took over and well the rest is history. Hey, but at least we won a championship way before I was even born and to make it worse changed the name of the school to make it more obscure.

Reactions: El Paso 777
Judging by the Senter and Dimel hires:

1) We will get new blood (not Johnson)

2) It will be an experienced coach (not an up and coming assistant)

Barbee was able to use his connection to Memphis and tutelage under Calipari to get recruits.

Those days are long behind him though, so i doubt he'd have the same success these days...

NMSU is on their 3rd coach in 3 years. They won their 1st round game last night and will play Top 10 Miami tonight. They're not going to finish last in their exempt tourney like UTEP always does. How is NMSU able to win and UTEP can't even compete with them?

But, yeah, we're supposed to be positive and just be happy with our wins over UIW and Howard. Can't even win the Sun Bowl Tournament anymore with the watered down competition.

Sad times here.

Barbee was able to use his connection to Memphis and tutelage under Calipari to get recruits.

Those days are long behind him though, so i doubt he'd have the same success these days...
Well he's only the top recruiter for Kentucky. Recruiting is not a problem for Barbee.

Reactions: kickballpro
NMSU is on their 3rd coach in 3 years. They won their 1st round game last night and will play Top 10 Miami tonight. They're not going to finish last in their exempt tourney like UTEP always does. How is NMSU able to win and UTEP can't even compete with them?

But, yeah, we're supposed to be positive and just be happy with our wins over UIW and Howard. Can't even win the Sun Bowl Tournament anymore with the watered down competition.

Sad times here.
UTEP does not "always" finish last in these tournaments. Stop exaggerating..

We need toughness and rebounding back at UTEP. Thats what killed us last night, along with poor freethrow shooting. Get back to the basics of blocking out, assisting, shooting free throws, driving and finishing as close to the rim and as strong as possible. Offense will be off at times but it needs to be free flowing and exciting, not tentative. Too many of our guys are caught up in not taking bad shots. Frazier is ball stopping to score, but at least he goes for the jugular. Our fouling is just weak and stupid at times too. We have to play smarter.

First, let me say that I do not think that Barbee will be returning to UTEP. He didn't like it here the first time, and really made no secret about it. It's also obvious that for many in this community, the feeling is mutual.

However, PURPLE, it is ridiculous not to give the man proper credit for what he did here. Sadler left him one great player in DJ, a decent player in Kilgore, and absolutely nothing else of any value. However, in his four years here, his team's improved every year, he brought in a number of fantastic recruits who actually stayed and played for the program , won a conference championship in a conference much tougher than today's CUSA, and earned an at large bid to the NCAA Tournament. Can you say anything remotely similar about Tim Floyd?

Tim Floyd has a lot of accomplishments as a college head basketball coach. However, Barbee was a much better coach here at UTEP, and it's not even close.

Last edited:
First, let me say that I do not think that Barbee will be returning to UTEP. He didn't like it here the first time, and really made no secret about it. It's also obvious that for many in this community, the feeling is mutual.

However, PURPLE, it is ridiculous not to give the man proper credit for what he did here. Sadler left him one great player in DJ, a decent player in Kilgore, and absolutely nothing else of any value. However, in his four years here, his team's improved every year, he brought in a number of fantastic recruits who actually stayed and played for the program , won a conference championship in a conference much tougher than today's CUSA, and earned an at large bid to the NCAA Tournament. Can you say anything remotely similar about Tim Floyd?

Tim Floyd has a lot of accomplishments as a college head basketball coach. However, Barbee was a much better coach here at UTEP, and it's not even close.
There is no questioning Barbee's accomplishments while he was here but with me his arrogant attitude negatively outweighed them. Maybe it's too much to ask...to have great coach who also has an endearing attitude.

Reactions: kickballpro
There is no questioning Barbee's accomplishments while he was here but with me his arrogant attitude negatively outweighed them. Maybe it's too much to ask...to have great coach who also has an endearing attitude.

That would be the best of both worlds. If I have to choose, the competitor in me says give us the a-hole who can win over he who endears himself to the community but racks up the Ls.

With that said, it shouldn't be too much to ask for both.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoSpgsMinerfan
Wasn't trying to sell anything...dude. Just pointing out to USAF that he IS a good recruiter. Not sure what your point is.

My point is Barbee is long gone and you’re still pining for him — get over it.

UTEP fans do not deserve Tony Barbee. Some loser fans booed him at the 66 reunion game a few years ago. These would be the same fans that would probably give Floyd a standing O in a couple of years.

Floyd was a failure here and Tony was a winner.

I never got why fans booed Barbee at that game. Barbee took The Miners into Memphis and took it to them, and that has to be the last big win for the program. Given how quick Stull was to hand out extensions to bums like Floyd and Kugler I don’t get why he didn’t lock up Barbee long term for big money leading up to that season.

I don't think it was in the cards man. Would have taken big money to keep and him and not sure Barbee would have stayed anyways.

BG and TF were mentioned as replacements and I'm sure 99.99% of boosters would have wanted one of those 2. Why pay more for Barbee when you could have 1 of those guys. Turns out, it didn't really work out for any of the 3.

My point is Barbee is long gone and you’re still pining for him — get over it.
Pining hmm. The way you're acting it sounds like you were the one that got all butt hurt. I never said we should bring Barbee back. I said he can recruit. Comprende?

My guess is current E. Tennessee Coach. Relationship with Senter and great resume. Question is can we get him? He may be in line fir Bigger job, if he does well again this year.

Barbee inherited a mess and had UTEP competing with a John Calipari Memphis program within 4 years. He didn't get lucky , he recruited very well and coached well. Floyd inherited an NCAA caliber program and did absolutely nothing in almost 8 years.

Of course someone would bring something about Floyd... that's ridiculous please remove whatever is blocking your brain cells from working correctly..... I flat out said I don't want barbee here... he rode the wave of recruiting and success Memphis had and brought in some good players.... he had a good recruiting class and led utep to a good run but it was just a flash in the pan and he hated El Paso.... and didn't do a darn thing after leaving El Paso therefore I do not want him here... would rather have someone else ....

Of course someone would bring something about Floyd... that's ridiculous please remove whatever is blocking your brain cells from working correctly..... I flat out said I don't want barbee here... he rode the wave of recruiting and success Memphis had and brought in some good players.... he had a good recruiting class and led utep to a good run but it was just a flash in the pan and he hated El Paso.... and didn't do a darn thing after leaving El Paso therefore I do not want him here... would rather have someone else ....
My brain cells are working correctly, you might want to check yours since you think Floyd did a good job at UTEP. As a coach you use your strengths to your advantages in order to be successful. Barbee had strong connections in Memphis and used them to turn UTEP around. Nothing wrong with that. Floyd tried to use his strengths but it didn't work out very well here.

What in the hell does that have to do with Floyd ?? Again we are speaking English? Did I say Floyd was better than barbee or did better??? Nope.... I said I would not want barbee to come back end of story

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT