ADVERTISEMENT

3 Things to Watch for Saturday vs. Northern Arizona

HeWore62

All Star
Apr 18, 2018
You mullets spend time fretting over the eventual game attendance that is still days away. Why? You fondle yourselves over who plays QB. Why? Not even the coaches truly know who will get the quality P.T. with five minutes left in the fourth quarter.

Pin on a fresh diaper, and watch the following:

(*) The fullback. Winston Dimel, a grad student from Kansas State, made all-Big 12 last season. Which means UTEP landed the most decorated, sure-thing recruit in the nation. His new teammates love him. Watch him a few series, and you will see why. His back-up, the McKee kid from N.M., is on a nice trajectory, too.

(*) The center. Derron Gatewood has been starting at least part-time since his sophomore year, when teammate Gino Bresolin said Derron was better than anybody he faced in Conference USA. Now a senior grad student, Gatewood is the flagship of an offensive line that has to be better than last year. It absolutely must.

(*) Secondary. The Miners' defense has proven quality on the back row. Kaylon Beverly has a remarkable back-story, worthy of a tear-jerking Hollywood film. I will tell his tale in an forthcoming issue of Miners Are Forever. Meantime, pro scouts say that if Beverly winds up in the right camp next summer, he might play on Sundays. Northern Arizona will start throwing from the opening kickoff, so these DBs will be tested. This will not be a total shut-down. Instead, look for key stops in key situations and big plays from these time-tested Miners.

Now, chil-ren, you have your assignment for Saturday. You will be tested on the material next week.

See you at the Sun Bowl.

I would add Trace Mascorro. 2017 All-Conference USA Freshman Team honoree. And AJ Hotchkins, who started 6 games at Oregon in an injury shortened career there but playing at a very high level. These two guys can be disruptive forces in the box that can bring the heat, not to mention the pain.

These guys got beat up on last year, they're looking to beat up on someone this year, I promise you.

If the offense can actually move the ball and score points, we'll do better. If the Miner offense can keep the Miner defense off the field longer, our defense will give us quality minutes rather than quantity minutes. That will be a big improvement.

I want to see which WR will step up. If its not Metz fault it is the WRS fault. They need to get open and make big plays. Utep not going to win if WRs dont make big plays.

I want to see which WR will step up. If its not Metz fault it is the WRS fault. They need to get open and make big plays. Utep not going to win if WRs dont make big plays.
Watch for Warren Redix. Good athlete. Acrobatic. Had a good camp.

Time for that man to show what he can do, and bring some much-needed explosiveness to an offense that has been stuck in the mud.

Yup. Reports out of fall camp is that the secondary plays at another level and they and coaches believe they are tops in CUSA, hands down. CD pretty much said the same thing about Hotchkins who will anchor the LB's this year. Gatewood is the lunch pail, quiet (not much media hype) player who was under the shadow of Will Hernandez. Now it's his turn. Dimel at FB is going to be fun to watch. There were not many at the Big XII level who could blow up his awesome blocks (there were some here and there, not many) which opened nice lanes. Locksley is going to be his shadow.

Time for that man to show what he can do, and bring some much-needed explosiveness to an offense that has been stuck in the mud.
Redix has shown, as has Sinegal. But right when you thought they were going to explode, Kugler went right back to the run and grounded passing plays.

Reactions: axingfools1
Redix has shown, as has Sinegal. But right when you thought they were going to explode, Kugler went right back to the run and grounded passing plays.
Arrrrrgh.

Hope the Miners alter that approach, in time for Saturday night. Northern Arizona will score points, and has a spooky aura. UTEP will need to score, too, just to keep up.

Arrrrrgh.

Hope the Miners alter that approach, in time for Saturday night. Northern Arizona will score points, and has a spooky aura. UTEP will need to score, too, just to keep up.

Honestly I think this is a good matchup for us. If we were a spread team I would be much more concerned. The defense is going to shut NAU down. Our secondary is very good. I see us getting four turnovers. On offense we're going to pound them on the ground. Our offense will wear down their undersized defense and we will run through them. I think Wadley is going for 200yds. I wouldn't be suprised if we get 350 yes rushing between the backs and QBs. The head tells me this is a Miner blowout.

Still this game scares the shit out of me. After last season we just cant a Ford to open with a loss to and fcs school. All the good will and momentum would be gone instantly. I dont even want to think about the ramifications on a loss. This is a must win for the Miners.

Reactions: El Paso Is Great

Doesn't drop the ball either. He's a little small and he is not a speed demon at this level, but he is a fine athlete, very smart and I'm hoping he breaks out as well. I've been watching him since 7th grade (same class as my son). 10 years in the making!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT