ADVERTISEMENT

8 Texas Teams, and NMSU and Jacksonville St.

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
Still feel if UTEP got past M. Tennessee we had a great chance of making a Cinderella run to the NCAA with how we were playing with the return of KK. Anyways moving on. I'll be going for what I think will 8 teams from the state of Texas in the NCAA. I also root for NMSU in the tourney and now will more so, because they're joining CUSA. Also would like to see future CUSA team Jacksonville St. advance though unlikely. UAB is leaving so they can kiss my A$$, even though I suppose it'll be cool to see the continued CUSA dominance in the 1st round.

Still feel if UTEP got past M. Tennessee we had a great chance of making a Cinderella run to the NCAA with how we were playing with the return of KK. Anyways moving on. I'll be going for what I think will 8 teams from the state of Texas in the NCAA. I also root for NMSU in the tourney and now will more so, because they're joining CUSA. Also would like to see future CUSA team Jacksonville St. advance though unlikely. UAB is leaving so they can kiss my A$$, even though I suppose it'll be cool to see the continued CUSA dominance in the 1st round.
The Richmond win is going to keep SMU or Texas A&M out. My guess A&M is out SMU gets in to the play in game.

Reactions: nattybry
The Richmond win is going to keep SMU or Texas A&M out. My guess A&M is out SMU gets in to the play in game.
I am an A&M fan, but now that Dallas is my home my preference would be SMU. On another topic I hope Golding can follow the Texas Tech model, cause that school has completely turned it around and have built a consistent top 20 program in no time!

UAB's winnings will be staying with CUSA after they are gone so I hope they win 1 or 2.

I am an A&M fan, but now that Dallas is my home my preference would be SMU. On another topic I hope Golding can follow the Texas Tech model, cause that school has completely turned it around and have built a consistent top 20 program in no time!
Tech has been pretty solid for past 25 years. It started with Darvin Ham breaking the backboard in the round of 32 in 1995. That was moment was featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated. Really Tech has been good for a 25 years with the exception of two bad hires: Pat Knight and Billy Gillispie. Honestly womens basketball propelled both Tech and Baylor's programs. Tech's women's basketball Natty in the nineties and Kim Mulkey's run at Baylor caused both administrations to ask why can't the men's programs compete for championships?

Yup. That Richmond stunner will also for sure screw other mid majors. I can not see CUSA getting two in once again.

Tech has been pretty solid for past 25 years. It started with Darvin Ham breaking the backboard in the round of 32 in 1995. That was moment was featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated. Really Tech has been good for a 25 years with the exception of two bad hires: Pat Knight and Billy Gillispie. Honestly womens basketball propelled both Tech and Baylor's programs. Tech's women's basketball Natty in the nineties and Kim Mulkey's run at Baylor caused both administrations to ask why can't the men's programs compete for championships?
Not really. I remember Darvin Ham team, but they didn't do much in Men's Basketball for years after that and UTEP would actually beat them a good amount of the time they would play. So no their recent consistent success in Men's Basketball is an anomaly and first time they've really been at this level consistently.

Reactions: chicotown
Yeah that's a very tough draw. Houston was under seeded for sure!
Houston is overseeded. They have zero quad one wins. Their best regular season win was against SMU. They are getting respect because they've become one of the better teams in the country. While this was Sampson's best coaching job its his weakest squad in their six year run. They lost their two best players. They should have been an 8 or 9 seed. They'll be back to being a national contender next year.

Last edited:
aggy can eat shit

Yeah that's a very tough draw. Houston was under seeded for sure!
I’m not so sure. It’s hard to seed UH. They were the only team in Lunardi’s at-large picks (as of this morning), that didn’t have a quad 1 win. UH lost their top two scorers for the year about mid way through the season.

This coming from a hardcore UH fan.

I’m not so sure. It’s hard to seed UH. They were the only team in Lunardi’s picks (as of this morning), that didn’t have a quad 1 win. UH lost their top two scorers for the year about mid way through the season.

This coming from a hardcore UH fan.
The games will tell.

The games will tell.
Indeed. Don’t get me wrong, because of the defense they play, I think on a good day they can hang with about any team in the country. However, they can have trouble scoring and go into droughts on occasion.

With that said, I imagine nobody will take them lightly. UAB doesn’t have much of a chance, imo.

They were never getting an at-large. I'm glad we beat them though. They can have fun in the Not Invited Tournament.
We don’t know for sure; however, all the guru’s, ESPN, et. al. had them in and loving their NET. Selection committee has made it clear that mid majors must win the games they’re supposed to win, OOC and conference, November or early March AND beat big boys. Is it fair, hell no. But no other sport gives a poor performing team a second chance to make it thru their conference tournament.

So yeah, I do believe the UTEP loss hurt their chances significantly, La Tech loss cemented it.

Reactions: MinerManiac
Houston is overseeded. They have zero quad one wins. Their best regular season win was against SMU. They are getting respect because they've become one of the better teams in the country. While this was Sampson's best coaching job its his weakest squad in their six year run. They lost their two best players. They should have been an 8 or 9 seed. They'll be back to being a national contender next year.

Houston is one of the schools i could see poaching Golding.

Let him at least show that he can recruit 1st...

I thought if UTEP made the NCAA tourney this year, Golding would've got poached and brought Boum with him. But it didn't happen, we at least have Golding for one more season. I'm not expecting him to stay here long. I think he will get poached by a Texas school. The thing that is in Uteps favor, is his son is in high school and on the basketball team. What is he a freshman?? That maybe buys Utep 2 more years?

I thought if UTEP made the NCAA tourney this year, Golding would've got poached and brought Boum with him. But it didn't happen, we at least have Golding for one more season. I'm not expecting him to stay here long. I think he will get poached by a Texas school. The thing that is in Uteps favor, is his son is in high school and on the basketball team. What is he a freshman?? That maybe buys Utep 2 more years?
Golding hasn't shown that he can recruit at a higher level nor play interior defense at a higher level. Let him work on those 1st.

Golding hasn't shown that he can recruit at a higher level nor play interior defense at a higher level. Let him work on those 1st.
Agree. Honestly, I would also question Golding's offensive philosophy as well. The offense was mostly a lot of one on one by the guards. I would like to see more motion/cutting for easy baskets. Scoring efficiency has been an issue this year, and that needs to improve.

Both are important (especially for high majors). If I'm an AD at a high major I need to see him recruit, win and build up the UTEP program. It can be done so he needs to at least come much closer. To each his own though.
Exactly. I guess Golding can try to poach Terry from UT at his next stop. :)

• Haha
Reactions: MinerManiac
Agree. Honestly, I would also question Golding's offensive philosophy as well. The offense was mostly a lot of one on one by the guards. I would like to see more motion/cutting for easy baskets. Scoring efficiency has been an issue this year, and that needs to improve.

You guys are just making excuses and trying to downgrade Golding. We all know he is a keeper. He has done things here at Utep that hasn't been done in a long time. And it was suppose to be a rebuilt year. Going to a bigger school recruiting wont be a problem. Plus I think he has shown he can recruit by getting Shibley and Evan's Jr.

You guys are just making excuses and trying to downgrade Golding. We all know he is a keeper. He has done things here at Utep that hasn't been done in a long time. And it was suppose to be a rebuilt year. Going to a bigger school recruiting wont be a problem. Plus I think he has shown he can recruit by getting Shibley and Evan's Jr.
Im not sure how to even answer your comments. Golding himself said this was not going to be a rebuilding year. His goal was to win CUSA and the tournament.

I like Golding, but he still has room to grow. He would agree. He is not pretentious. Give him some time.

I don’t think Golding is going to get poached anytime soon. I mean look at Jans or McCasland. Looks like this is the year that one or both will move on, but both have shown more than Golding at this point. However, I really like Coach Golding and I can’t get over what a class act that was of him going to the WAC tournament to support ACU. I definitely don’t recall Barbee, Sadler, or Gillespie doing that when they left UTEP. Speaks volumes to me.

I like Golding, and he was my first choice for the job. He exceeded my expectations this year without a doubt. I'm not trying to downgrade him, but to be objective based on his first year.

This is just speculation, but in order for him to get hired away, in my opinion, he still has work to do. First thing, he will need to show he can win with his own players. Like you mentioned, he did get 4* guys in Sibley and Evans, but it remains to be seen if they play up to that level. Also, he missed on several guys who he brought in for on campus visits last summer that could have been difference makers. He needs to show he can seal the deal at this level.

Moving forward, assuming he is still at UTEP, it won't get any easier to recruit to CUSA 4.0. I do think he can get it done as well, and if so, he will no doubt see other schools calling. Golding succeeding is the best thing that could happen to UTEP after the failings of Floyd and Terry. It would show other coaches it can still be done at UTEP.

I like Golding, and he was my first choice for the job. He exceeded my expectations this year without a doubt. I'm not trying to downgrade him, but to be objective based on his first year.

This is just speculation, but in order for him to get hired away, in my opinion, he still has work to do. First thing, he will need to show he can win with his own players. Like you mentioned, he did get 4* guys in Sibley and Evans, but it remains to be seen if they play up to that level. Also, he missed on several guys who he brought in for on campus visits last summer that could have been difference makers. He needs to show he can seal the deal at this level.

Moving forward, assuming he is still at UTEP, it won't get any easier to recruit to CUSA 4.0. I do think he can get it done as well, and if so, he will no doubt see other schools calling. Golding succeeding is the best thing that could happen to UTEP after the failings of Floyd and Terry. It would show other coaches it can still be done at UTEP.
He should have more success now in year 2 getting those types of recruits to choose to play here. Coach Terry was able to get pretty much every single recruit who came to visit to commit here and rebuild the team in an offseason. Unfortunately, he could not get even 70% out of the talent he had, but it can be done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT