Are you disappointed??

• Yes I am

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • No I'm not

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • Not sure give me 1 more week

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters
Kennedy was just completely off. Couldn't hit free throws or jumpers in the paint.

Yeah, but

Yeah, true. But over half of all cfb teams are eligible for bowl play, while about 20% of cbb teams go to the tourney.

You can be a decent fb team in a decent to shitty conference and still go bowling. Not usually the case in cbb.
Disagree. You can be a bad team and go on a run in your conference tourney and get an tourney bid. We’ve seen that happen a lot over the years

Disagree. You can be a bad team and go on a run in your conference tourney and get an tourney bid. We’ve seen that happen a lot over the years
True enough, however I’d say “a lot” is an overstatement but that’s why I used the term “usually”. Yes, with 30 plus conferences, it’ll happen that a below average team gets hot in their tourney. It happens way more in fb though that an average team continues into the post season.

Reactions: MinerFan79
That's only because there are triple the amount of basketball teams. Most of them aren't very good anyway. The question is what's easier to make, a decent .500 football team or a good basketball team?

WAAAAAAAAAAY easier to make a .500 football team.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
WAAAAAAAAAAY easier to make a .500 football team.
Clearly shown by the fact we've had seven seasons of at least .500 in the last 55 years. How many winning seasons and NCAA tournaments did we have in basketball during that time frame?

Don't recall ever seeing him when he wasn't off.
He's never gotten on. Look at his stats last year and this year. He just continues to heave bricks with no conscience.
Correct, however he can certainly effect the game in many other ways. Somebody with influence just needs to help him realize his role. Meanwhile he can continue working on his shot.

Clearly shown by the fact we've had seven seasons of at least .500 in the last 55 years. How many winning seasons and NCAA tournaments did we have in basketball during that time frame?

So are you now asking the question specifically in regards to UTEP? FAR easier to build a .500 football team generally, which was the question. EVERYTHING is harder at UTEP; including men's basketball.

Reactions: develman
So are you now asking the question specifically in regards to UTEP? FAR easier to build a .500 football team generally, which was the question. EVERYTHING is harder at UTEP; including men's basketball.
Sorry for not being more specific on a UTEP message board 😅

Sorry for not being more specific on a UTEP message board 😅

You're right and I apologize. I should have assumed it was specifically about UTEP since nobody ever discusses non-UTEP college athletics on this UTEP message board.

You're right and I apologize. I should have assumed it was specifically about UTEP since nobody ever discusses non-UTEP college athletics on this UTEP message board.
It's doesn't matter.

My original reply to fedup miner was with UTEP Bowl appearances compared to NCAA tournaments and NIT invites in the last 20 years.

I could see how the conversation turned into the entire NCAA.

I worry more about UTEP than I do about everyone else in the NCAA.

Yes but it's also easier to find 5 basketball players than it is to find a team of 53 football players.
Just remember that Northwestern, out of the mighty Big Ten, had never (not once!) in their entire history made the NCAA Tournament before 2017.

(And they even hosted the final four... twice, including the very first one.)

Last edited:
Exactly we prioritize basketball over football at UTEP. But in the past 10 years UTEP football has played in 2 bowl games (I’m counting our upcoming bowl game) and UTEP men’s BB has played in ZERO NCAA Tournament games. A .800 record in the football regular reason gets you a guaranteed bowl game. A .800 record in men’s regular season in BB just gets you to the CUSA Tourney, and you have to win that tournament to get into the NCAA Tournament.

Yes it is going to take a lot more resources than the cut of the men’s BB coaches salary to make the football program respectable. But just something so small like allocating $300 k from the men’s bb coach salary to the football coach salary makes the UTEP football HC position a $1,000,000 coaching job and the men’s BB coach makes $400k. But UTEP wants to prioritize a sport that won’t benefit us in conference realignment.
A bowl game (especially the ones we get invited to) don’t mean anything, though. They are glorified (if you can even use such a strong word) ooc games. Even if we did really well in a season, the new status of college football is so rigged against schools like us, I don’t think we’d even get a sniff from a respectable bowl.

Basketball costs less overall (coaching costs, recruiting, etc), and again we have an exponentially higher potential for real success and, and we control our own destiny as far as the tournament is concerned.

Just think about how many prior D2 or lower D1 teams we’ve been conference mates with over the years, who have blown by us in terms of football success and moving up conferences. It’s pretty clear what this football program is, and we don’t have near the kind of resources to change that. Money simply goes farther, with higher potential than fball

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Good grief. We’re offensively challenged, especially without Boum.

At UTEP we have proven it is easier to make a decent .500 football team than a good basketball team. He’ll Dana Dimel is about to take UTEP to a bowl game. If that doesn’t encourage prioritizing football over basketball then I don’t know what else will.
When have we proven that!?

we win less than 3 games a season 90% of the time. Most of our better seasons are when we stack the ooc schedule with d2 opposition, and most of those games are toss ups…

Reactions: MinerManiac
Just remember that Northwestern, out of the mighty Big Ten, had never (not once!) in their entire history made the NCAA Tournament before 2017.

(And they even hosted the final four... twice, including the very first one.)
I wonder if that's because almost of every FBS program except for maybe the Dukes and Kansas prioritizes football. It blows my mind that according to the majority it's easier to have a .500 team and we haven't done it. We would probably have been in the original MW had we had our priorities straight.

Reactions: FedupMiner
I wonder if that's because almost of every FBS program except for maybe the Dukes and Kansas prioritizes football. It blows my mind that according to the majority it's easier to have a .500 team and we haven't done it. We would probably have been in the original MW had we had our priorities straight.
You think UCONN, Kentucky, Syracuse, UMASS, etc prioritize Football over Basketball?

Reactions: TxRdKiller
You think UCONN, Kentucky, Syracuse, UMASS, etc prioritize Football over Basketball?

Seriously. I don't get some posters' fascination with the football program. It has ALWAYS sucked. And I don't want to hear the bullshit "it makes money!" excuse. Basketball is where UTEP should focus ALL of its efforts. Everything else will adjust.

Seriously. I don't get some posters' fascination with the football program. It has ALWAYS sucked. And I don't want to hear the bullshit "it makes money!" excuse. Basketball is where UTEP should focus ALL of its efforts. Everything else will adjust.
Maybe some posters like football more than basketball.... Just a thought....

The funny thing is that focusing on basketball is why nothing else has adjusted and why we're in a CUSA 4.0.

Maybe some posters like football more than basketball.... Just a thought....

The funny thing is that focusing on basketball is why nothing else has adjusted and why we're in a CUSA 4.0.

You really believe that UTEP has focused solely on basketball or are you just trolling? I think you're trolling. No way anyone in their right mind would think UTEP has prioritized basketball over football.

Reactions: MinerFan79
You really believe that UTEP has focused solely on basketball or are you just trolling? I think you're trolling. No way anyone in their right mind would think UTEP has prioritized basketball over football.
Floyd made more than Price and Kugler. Terry made more than Dimel. Golding makes almost the same as Dimel. Have you seen the basketball locker rooms compared to football? The last major facilities building UTEP built was the Foster Stevenson Center for the basketball program.

At UNT McCasland makes 600k and has an NCAA win. Littrell makes 2 million a year and is 0-4 in bowls.

Dan D'antoni at Marshall was hired at 200k and the latest info I can find is he's at 300k. It's probably more but I guarantee its less than their football coach. Also has an NCAA win.

If given time I could list a hundred more examples.

A basketball ticket is more expensive than a football ticket.

Do you really think we're not prioritizing basketball?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT