Are you disappointed??

• Yes I am

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • No I'm not

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • Not sure give me 1 more week

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters
Me too. This season started with sweet 16 aspirations and it's not looking good.
Nobody was expecting sweet 16. I was expecting better play from returning players. It's like some of them pulled a Ben Simmons and didn't work on their offense. I wanted better outside shooting. If this team is going to be depending on Boum to be the offense, Then this season is already over.

Reactions: Rocketsr
Nobody was expecting sweet 16. I was expecting better play from returning players. It's like some of them pulled a Ben Simmons and didn't work on their offense. I wanted better outside shooting. If this team is going to be depending on Boum to be the offense, Then this season is already over.
It's like taking away a team's qb and wondering why the offense isn't flowing. It was a four point game with a little over four minutes to go. Give the team some more time to adjust without Boum and they'll start hitting shots. You can't take away the best player and the best sub and expect nothing to change. Even more so on a team that has struggled to score the last few years.

I expected a .500 team for the season, they are above that for now. So no, exceeding expectations so far...
The W. New Mexico and N. New Mexico games won't actually count in the RPI and what not, just on paper I guess. Let's see once this team gets to conference. Still too early. Last night was ugly without 2 key pieces and our best scorer against a team that will challenge for the Big West Title and a NCAA Berth.

WE. NEED. A. PLAYA. IN. DA. PAINT.

Bonke needs a whole year of development and learn to fit into his huge frame, pronto and Tydus either attract fouls like flies to potato salad sitting in the summer sun or he is struggles. Not the start I expected from him.

Boum is fearless. Saucy does more spinning than Ballet Folklorico and Kennedy is uber athletic but just can't seem to find his role in this offense. Kalu is so darn close to being a leader but he is just a true freshman and that takes time. Reminds me of Tim Hardaway his freshman year: Flashes of brilliance then "Doh!" moments. Someone needs to take Hollins to "Crazy Cat" mountain near UTEP and do some sprints and burn off that Jimmy John's. I know he came late and didn't expect to play this year but he needs to do something, like today, because he can really help this year. Giffa and White have the spirit, not quite ready to play against the big boys. Sibley is getting better every game. Hope springs eternal for him because I see upside. Ewing's hard headedness was our gain. I put Saterfield up their with Giffa and White. Spirit is there but I just don't know if he is up to this level of mid major basketball.

Slightly above .500 is my guesstimate for this year because CUSA sucks rocks this year and this can actually be in UTEP's favor with a first year coach. I do expect Golding to pull a Gillispie and bring in some studs next year.

We lost to a good UCR team last night, with or without Boum. They are better than NMSU despite muttering of denials on here. I am not ready to give NoWins the keys to the car yet. Way to early.

I'm not that worried. UCR is a decent team that plays good D. If we were full strength I'm sure we win (especially at home) but we weren't so I kind of expected it.

I'm dissapointed in our shooting so far. I'm dissapointed that JB and Kennedy haven't really seemed to progress offensively. I'm dissapointing that Tydus doesn't attack the rim. I'm dissapointed that none of our young bigs nor Satterfield have stuck out.

I like Golding, but he lost a lot of recruiting battles for a 4 player. Hollins and Sibley may get us through the year, but Golding may already be searching for a transfer 4.

Last edited:
IMO, the only thing disappointing is the amount of money we waste on basketball in a one bid conference instead of allocating more to football. It is so stupid how our BB head coaches make almost as much as our head football coaches.
It’s because bball has much more potential for success at this university. I’m not sure if you’re aware of our background , but we are a historical bottom 10 team in football.

You’re gonna need a hell of a lot more resources than a cut of the bball coaching salary to make this program respectable, and we ain’t got that…

So Golding will have a challenging first season. Don't get your knickers in a knot just yet. It will get better. And don't worry about salaries. The football team will take care of itself.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Anyone who knew what we were bringing back this year knew it was going to be rough. I was expecting a 14-18 win season and an improvement coaching wise but the roster wasn’t going to do anything special.

“We lost to a good UCR team last night,”

We lost because no one on the Miners team could hit the side of a barn standing three feet away from it.
How come Bienemy and others can hit lights out against lesser opponents but not against NMSU and now UCR?

Because they were better teams! That’s basketball Oso! Jeezus, people. Organized sports is 90% mental. The opponent gets in your head and half the battle is won. Riverside came in expecting to win.

Let’s take the Mike Price approach. He comes into campus and on year one he takes Nord’s core top players and gets into a bowl game in year one. Why? “Buy & Believe”. Buy into the product and (the player) believing they can play above themselves and win.

Golding is that right guy for this because he did it at a smaller D1 program. However, these starters are not there. When they decide to “lock in” these games (NMSU, UCR, CUSA opponents) against an even or slightly better opponent will become better at creating that chance to win.

Remember Billy Beane Oakland A’s Manager and his simple plan? “Just get on 1st!”. What does Boum do? Gets to the free throw line. It’s “free” points and puts opponent in foul trouble. 90% mental? Boum goes into a game expecting to hit his 3’s. He has a short memory so when he messes up, he bounces right back. (Now this can be a bad thing because sometimes he’s to aggressive which showed at Kansas in final minutes and the CUSA tourney game). He has a constant fire in his belly. Saucy does as well. Their loss will make the next two weeks rough.

It’s because bball has much more potential for success at this university. I’m not sure if you’re aware of our background , but we are a historical bottom 10 team in football.

You’re gonna need a hell of a lot more resources than a cut of the bball coaching salary to make this program respectable, and we ain’t got that…It’s because bball has much more potential for success at this university. I’m not sure if you’re aware of our background , but we are a historical bottom 10 team in football.
You’re gonna need a hell of a lot more resources than a cut of the bball coaching salary to make this program respectable, and we ain’t got that…
Exactly we prioritize basketball over football at UTEP. But in the past 10 years UTEP football has played in 2 bowl games (I’m counting our upcoming bowl game) and UTEP men’s BB has played in ZERO NCAA Tournament games. A .800 record in the football regular reason gets you a guaranteed bowl game. A .800 record in men’s regular season in BB just gets you to the CUSA Tourney, and you have to win that tournament to get into the NCAA Tournament.

Yes it is going to take a lot more resources than the cut of the men’s BB coaches salary to make the football program respectable. But just something so small like allocating $300 k from the men’s bb coach salary to the football coach salary makes the UTEP football HC position a $1,000,000 coaching job and the men’s BB coach makes $400k. But UTEP wants to prioritize a sport that won’t benefit us in conference realignment.

Last edited:
I'm not that worried. UCR is a decent team that plays good D. If we were full strength I'm sure we win (especially at home) but we weren't so I kind of expected it.

I'm dissapointed in our shooting so far. I'm dissapointed that JB and Kennedy haven't really seemed to progress offensively. I'm dissapointing that Tydus doesn't attack the rim. I'm dissapointed that none of our young bigs nor Satterfield have stuck out.

I like Golding, but he lost a lot of recruiting battles for a 4 player. Hollins and Sibley may get us through the year, but Golding may already be searching for a transfer 4.
Dain Dainja from Baylor… I know no way in hell but never hurts to try….

Reactions: axingfools1
Why do people keep saying that team we lost to is any good? I just don’t see it…. I mean they were nothing more than average to a little below average in my opinion
They wanted it more in 2H.

Why do people keep saying that team we lost to is any good? I just don’t see it…. I mean they were nothing more than average to a little below average in my opinion
Well, when you use Baylor as a reference point…

Exactly we prioritize basketball over football at UTEP. But in the past 10 years UTEP football has played in 2 bowl games (I’m counting our upcoming bowl game) and UTEP men’s BB has played in ZERO NCAA Tournament games. A .800 record in the football regular reason gets you a guaranteed bowl game. A .800 record in men’s regular season in BB just gets you to the CUSA Tourney, and you have to win that tournament to get into the NCAA Tournament.

Yes it is going to take a lot more resources than the cut of the men’s BB coaches salary to make the football program respectable. But just something so small like allocating $300 k from the men’s bb coach salary to the football coach salary makes the UTEP football HC position a $1,000,000 coaching job and the men’s BB coach makes $400k. But UTEP wants to prioritize a sport that won’t benefit us in conference realignment.
I've always wondered what our potential would be if we prioritized football.

Since 2000 we have 3 NCAA tournaments and 4 NIT invitations. In the same time frame we have 6 bowl seasons in football. It looks like we could be an OK football program with more investment into it. A million dollar plus salary for the next coach would be a good start. It would draw more qualified candidates.

I've always wondered what our potential would be if we prioritized football.

Since 2000 we have 3 NCAA tournaments and 4 NIT invitations. In the same time frame we have 6 bowl seasons in football. It looks like we could be an OK football program with more investment into it. A million dollar plus salary for the next coach would be a good start. It would draw more qualified candidates.
Could it be because it’s an easier path getting a bowl bid as opposed to getting an NCAA/NIT bid?

Could it be because it’s an easier path getting a bowl bid as opposed to getting an NCAA/NIT bid?
Yes but it's also easier to find 5 basketball players than it is to find a team of 53 football players.

Yeah, but
Yes but it's also easier to find 5 basketball players than it is to find a team of 53 football players.
Yeah, true. But over half of all cfb teams are eligible for bowl play, while about 20% of cbb teams go to the tourney.

You can be a decent fb team in a decent to shitty conference and still go bowling. Not usually the case in cbb.

Yeah, but

Yeah, true. But over half of all cfb teams are eligible for bowl play, while about 20% of cbb teams go to the tourney.

You can be a decent fb team in a decent to shitty conference and still go bowling. Not usually the case in cbb.
That's only because there are triple the amount of basketball teams. Most of them aren't very good anyway. The question is what's easier to make, a decent .500 football team or a good basketball team?

Utep just didn't shoot well enough to even beat an average team, but played ok defense. UCR beat Arizona St at home that's probably why people think they're pretty good. We'll see how they finish, but it may be a 20+ win team who challenges for Big West this year, too early to tell with anyone right now I think.

That's only because there are triple the amount of basketball teams. Most of them aren't very good anyway. The question is what's easier to make, a decent .500 football team or a good basketball team?
At UTEP we have proven it is easier to make a decent .500 football team than a good basketball team. He’ll Dana Dimel is about to take UTEP to a bowl game. If that doesn’t encourage prioritizing football over basketball then I don’t know what else will.

Utep just didn't shoot well enough to even beat an average team, but played ok defense. UCR beat Arizona St at home that's probably why people think they're pretty good. We'll see how they finish, but it may be a 20+ win team who challenges for Big West this year, too early to tell with anyone right now I think.
A one in a million shot beat ASU.

Don't know which chat topic to post this on, but do we know when Boum and Agnew are allowed back on the floor?

Don't know which chat topic to post this on, but do we know when Boum and Agnew are allowed back on the floor?
I haven’t seen it confirmed whether they’re vaccinated, tested positive etc. All I have heard confirmed is that they’re out tonight as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT