Are you disappointed??

• Yes I am

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • No I'm not

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • Not sure give me 1 more week

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters
I presented my facts. Feel free to do the same.

What you presented is an opinion. Not facts. Saying that one head coach makes more than another head coach is fact if it is true. That does not make it *fact* that UTEP is prioritizing one sport over another. Your conclusion to that effect is an *opinion*.

What you presented is an opinion. Not facts. Saying that one head coach makes more than another head coach is fact if it is true. That does not make it *fact* that UTEP is prioritizing one sport over another. Your conclusion to that effect is an *opinion*.
How about this. Golding is top 3 in salary in CUSA while Dimel is bottom 3 in CUSA. That shows clearly where UTEP wants to spend their money on.

I ask again, have you seen the locker rooms for football compared to basketball?

The last athletic facility upgrade was for the basketball team. Nothing has been built for football since 2003. Shows once again where the priority is at.

A school that focuses on football would have the figures the other way. It's whatever, believe whatever fake news in your head you want to. Come back with facts or just don't reply.

How about this. Golding is top 3 in salary in CUSA while Dimel is bottom 3 in CUSA. That shows clearly where UTEP wants to spend their money on.

I ask again, have you seen the locker rooms for football compared to basketball?

The last athletic facility upgrade was for the basketball team. Nothing has been built for football since 2003. Shows once again where the priority is at.

A school that focuses on football would have the figures the other way. It's whatever, believe whatever fake news in your head you want to. Come back with facts or just don't reply.

Sorry, homie, but you don't make the rules. What you present are opinions. Claiming them to be facts does not make them facts. Maybe it's you that should stop listening to the fake news bouncing around in your head.

Sorry, homie, but you don't make the rules. What you present are opinions. Claiming them to be facts does not make them facts. Maybe it's you that should stop listening to the fake news bouncing around in your head.
You're right we prioritize football over basketball. The evidence you presented is unsurmountable. A million apologies for presenting actual numbers while you presented absolutely nothing to back up your claims.

Reactions: FedupMiner
You're right we prioritize football over basketball. The evidence you presented is unsurmountable. A million apologies for presenting actual numbers while you presented absolutely nothing to back up your claims.

Exactly. Because I made no claims of *fact*. I gave an opinion. As did you. However, I acknowledge my statements as statements of opinion. You should do that same with yours.

Exactly. Because I made no claims of *fact*. I gave an opinion. As did you. However, I acknowledge my statements as statements of opinion. You should do that same with yours.
Everything I said was a fact. We've paid our basketball coach more than our football coach. We've invested more money in basketball facilities than football. Our basketball budget is among the highest in CUSA. Probably top but i cant confirm at the moment. And we'll be #2 behind Liberty in CUSA 4.0. We charge more money to see UTEP basketball than UTEP football.

If that doesn't convince you we're a wanna be basketball school then I don't know what else to say.

You did nothing to disprove their argument besides completely disregarding it. I’d like to see the defense of Dimel’s salary/CUSA compared to CJG’s salary/CUSA, and more importantly, for you to prove a point besides just “fake news”. I can’t find current CUSA salaries, but looking at the football numbers from a few years ago, Dimel was definitely in the bottom third.

Everything I said was a fact. We've paid our basketball coach more than our football coach. We've invested more money in basketball facilities than football. Our basketball budget is among the highest in CUSA. Probably top but i cant confirm at the moment. And we'll be #2 behind Liberty in CUSA 4.0. We charge more money to see UTEP basketball than UTEP football.

If that doesn't convince you we're a wanna be basketball school then I don't know what else to say.

None of what you have stated as "fact" makes it "fact" that UTEP prioritizes basketball over football. That is merely your opinion.

None of what you have stated as "fact" makes it "fact" that UTEP prioritizes basketball over football. That is merely your opinion.
Tell me what makes it a fact then. I know, UTEP should drop football to FCS and join the Aggie less WAC.

You did nothing to disprove their argument besides completely disregarding it. I’d like to see the defense of Dimel’s salary/CUSA compared to CJG’s salary/CUSA, and more importantly, for you to prove a point besides just “fake news”. I can’t find current CUSA salaries, but looking at the football numbers from a few years ago, Dimel was definitely in the bottom third.

We don't have a similar article for basketball.

I know Golding makes more than Jones, McCasland, Stansbury, D'antoni, Sanchez. The only "basketball school" that pays more is UAB which pays Kennedy 25k more.

Basing this argument on coaches salaries and/or how much is spent on one sport's facilities versus the other's as the determining factor on UTEP prioritization does not make it *fact* that UTEP prioritizes one over the other. That would be like saying that spending more on your daughter than on your son means you're prioritizing her needs over your son's without regard to each child's individual needs.

Football has its needs. Basketball has its needs. How much is spent on either does not make it *fact* that UTEP is prioritizing one over the other. Any conclusion as to priority reached solely on comparing money spent on one sport versus the other is merely an opinion.

Reactions: MinerFan79
Basing this argument on coaches salaries and/or how much is spent on one sport's facilities versus the other's as the determining factor on UTEP prioritization does not make it *fact* that UTEP prioritizes one over the other. That would be like saying that spending more on your daughter than on your son means you're prioritizing her needs over your son's without regard to each child's individual needs.

Football has its needs. Basketball has its needs. How much is spent on either does not make it *fact* that UTEP is prioritizing one over the other. Any conclusion as to priority reached solely on comparing money spent on one sport versus the other is merely an opinion.
UNT, Marshall, WKU, UAB, and MTSU has shown us you don't "need" to pay your basketball coach as much or more than your football coach to have a successful basketball and football program.

In my opinion, UTEP has more boosters or more money being brought in by fans of basketball, and by a wide margin. There’s probably a few delusional donors who think/want the bball team is capable of NCAAS every few years. Most of us know, that is ridiculous and UTEP will be lucky to make it once every 5 years.

Tim ****ing Floyd couldn’t make the NCAAs here, not sure why most would expect others to do so on a regular basis.

So UTEP continues with their “basketball school” mentality, though “basketball schools” don’t go 10 years between appearances and 30 years between wins.

If UTEP made a “change” to focusing on football, they would probably lose donor money in doing so. I am sure if we focused on football, if it would make a difference in the football teams yearly performances.

So UTEP continues with their “basketball school” mentality, though “basketball schools” don’t go 10 years between appearances and 30 years between wins.

If UTEP made a “change” to focusing on football, they would probably lose donor money in doing so. I am sure if we focused on football, if it would make a difference in the football teams yearly performances.

Disclaimer: This post contains statements of opinion. Statements of opinion may contain factual components that do not change the overall statements to be statements of opinion.

I don't think UTEP has a "basketball school mentality." I think UTEP as an institution does its best with the athletics department as a whole. This does not mean that I support every hire made within the department.

Some of us fans, maybe only one of us fans, would love to see UTEP place emphasis on building the men's basketball program to one of prominence even at the expense of the football program. I do not believe that throwing more money at the football program will make the program any more or less successful -- or abysmal -- than it has been historically.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I think we should drop to Independent, hire a football coach for 100k, play 6 or more body bag games a year. With that money hire a basketball coach for about five - six million. I'm thinking we'll call Beard first, if he says no maybe Izzo or Wright. Build a new state of the art arena that sits 4-5k like Liberty did for small crowds and use the Haskins Center for bigger crowds and for record breaking crowds use the Sun Bowl. After we win the National Championship a few times, use the NCAA credits to hire a better football coach. By then we'll have the MW and Pac 12 fighting over us but we'll spurn them both to join the Big East.

• Haha
Some of us fans, maybe only one of us fans, would love to see UTEP place emphasis on building the men's basketball program to one of prominence even at the expense of the football program. I do not believe that throwing more money at the football program will make the program any more or less successful -- or abysmal -- than is has been historically.

10 years ago, they did. They hired Tim Floyd and look what happened. It’s over. I think if UTEP went with this strategy, it wouldn’t make a difference. If that’s what UTEP wants, they need to join the Southland or OVC and focus on basketball. While CUSA 4.0 is shit, basketball wise, it’s not worse than CUSA 3.0 and even if UTEP was #1 seed every year, they’re not going to get many at-large selections when they don’t win the conference tournament.

The power conferences gobble up most of the at large bids and we’re going to focus on basketball to go once or twice more a decade and win 1 1st round game - if we’re lucky??

Football drives the bus and even if we had a respectable football program, that does not mean we’re guaranteed of anything. However, risking it all on basketball, won’t get us much further, just worse in football.

10 years ago, they did. They hired Tim Floyd and look what happened. It’s over. I think if UTEP went with this strategy, it wouldn’t make a difference. If that’s what UTEP wants, they need to join the Southland or OVC and focus on basketball. While CUSA 4.0 is shit, basketball wise, it’s not worse than CUSA 3.0 and even if UTEP was #1 seed every year, they’re not going to get many at-large selections when they don’t win the conference tournament.

The power conferences gobble up most of the at large bids and we’re going to focus on basketball to go once or twice more a decade and win 1 1st round game - if we’re lucky??

Football drives the bus and even if we had a respectable football program, that does not mean we’re guaranteed of anything. However, risking it all on basketball, won’t get us much further, just worse in football.
Hiring TF was the ultimate basketball move. At that time Floyd was the highest paid UTEP coach, ever. The Foster Stevenson Center had just opened and was a state of the art basketball facility. That same year Mike Price's salary was 380k.

At that time TF's salary of 605k was equal to what some of the better football schools in CUSA were paying their football coach.

Three years later when CUSA 3.0 was formed UTEP had the highest basketball budget and Tim Floyd's salary was over 200k more than anyone else in the league. Sean Kugler was hired and his salary was next to last in the nation.

We did try to be a modern day basketball school and failed miserably at it.

Since then we've even things out a bit more but there's no denying what UTEP'S goal has been, to return to its former glory days of basketball.

Last edited:

Tim Floyd failed. That's one coach. You know the old saying, "If I had a nickel for ..."

Gonzaga is a basketball powerhouse. They don't play in a power conference yet they're not sucking it up and going to the NCAA tourney once or twice a decade.

Does Gonzaga even play football? I don't think they do but even if they do I've never heard of anyone crying and screaming for the university to throw more money at football.

Gonzaga has proven that success can be had in men's basketball. As have Georgetown, UConn, UMass, and countless other universities. I mean, even Kansas doesn't give much of a **** about football and they have tons of money to throw at their program if they wanted to. UTEP can be a successful "basketball school." Tim Floyd's failure is simply one coach's failure.

By the way, nice to see you fighting in defense of the football program for a change. Well done.

We spend more money on basketball than UMASS but I guess that explains why neither one of us has won a tournament game since the 90s. Too bad we didn't have the P5 Big East money like UCONN did. I guess that leaves us with the Gonzaga option. Get rid of football and shift all of our budget to basketball.

Tim Floyd failed. That's one coach. You know the old saying, "If I had a nickel for ..."

Gonzaga is a basketball powerhouse. They don't play in a power conference yet they're not sucking it up and going to the NCAA tourney once or twice a decade.

Does Gonzaga even play football? I don't think they do but even if they do I've never heard of anyone crying and screaming for the university to throw more money at football.

Gonzaga has proven that success can be had in men's basketball. As have Georgetown, UConn, UMass, and countless other universities. I mean, even Kansas doesn't give much of a **** about football and they have tons of money to throw at their program if they wanted to. UTEP can be a successful "basketball school." Tim Floyd's failure is simply one coach's failure.

By the way, nice to see you fighting in defense of the football program for a change. Well done.
Gonzaga does not have football and they will never have it. They have had sustained success in basketball and have no reason to add football. They didn’t make their first NCAA appearance until 1995 and they got lucky by hiring the right coach and they won a game or two when they went in after that.

Every mid major team brings them up and wants to be the next them. There’s probably some power teams that want to be like them too, but it’s easier said than done.

I had suggested we go to Independent/WAC and now that NMSU is in CUSA, that “dream” is over. I’m just tired of losing and I would have rather lost to Bama than keep losing to FAU and UAB. I have a little bit of hope that the football team can be respectable. We will still lose to Liberty, but there’s no reason why we can’t beat FIU, NMSU, and SHSU on a regular basis.

It will be 30 years since our last NCAA win and we’ve only been 3 times during that time from. That’s as an alleged “basketball school”. We can accomplish that as a “football school”. UTEP should at least try to be a “football school” because what they’ve been doing the last 50 years, didn’t/isn’t exactly work out.

If Coastal Carolina can be a top 25 team, so can we. The only thing that can hold us back, is recruiting, maybe? If you can get guys to Boise, Pullman, and Lincoln, you can get them to El Paso. We’ve been left for dead by trying to be a “basketball school”, time to try something else.

Gonzaga does not have football and they will never have it. They have had sustained success in basketball and have no reason to add football. They didn’t make their first NCAA appearance until 1995 and they got lucky by hiring the right coach and they won a game or two when they went in after that.

Every mid major team brings them up and wants to be the next them. There’s probably some power teams that want to be like them too, but it’s easier said than done.

I had suggested we go to Independent/WAC and now that NMSU is in CUSA, that “dream” is over. I’m just tired of losing and I would have rather lost to Bama than keep losing to FAU and UAB. I have a little bit of hope that the football team can be respectable. We will still lose to Liberty, but there’s no reason why we can’t beat FIU, NMSU, and SHSU on a regular basis.

It will be 30 years since our last NCAA win and we’ve only been 3 times during that time from. That’s as an alleged “basketball school”. We can accomplish that as a “football school”. UTEP should at least try to be a “football school” because what they’ve been doing the last 50 years, didn’t/isn’t exactly work out.

If Coastal Carolina can be a top 25 team, so can we. The only thing that can hold us back, is recruiting, maybe? If you can get guys to Boise, Pullman, and Lincoln, you can get them to El Paso. We’ve been left for dead by trying to be a “basketball school”, time to try something else.
You like to bring up what we haven’t accomplished as a basketball school.
Maybe you’d like to tell us what we’ve accomplished in football? If you want to compare the success between the two programs, it’s not even close…

Yeah, we hired Tim Floyd and paid him well. We also hired Mike Price, who was a former COY and about to coach the most prestigious program in CFB. We gave him a good salary, plus a bonus for ticket sales, and all the the extra perks he got along the way (beautiful house with a lake built for him). The result was the most success we’ve ever had…which was a couple winning seasons and zero bowl wins….

I said it on another thread, but look at all the D2 programs that have blown by us, with a fraction of the support and financial backing. Our lack of success isn’t due to prioritizing bball over football. Our lack of success stems from being historically one of the worst all time programs in the history of fbs. No recruits are looking to play here, unless they have no other options.

it’s much easier to convince a few talented bball players to commit to this university, which can be enough to get us to the tournament with the right coach and role players. It’s damn near impossible to convince enough talented football players you’d need to commit here, in order to shore up all the offensive/defensive/special teams positions you need to be successful….

I'm going to report you and Corona to the secret Texas Board of Football for this blatant anti-Texan heresy. Look at what happened to UT-Arlington. They dropped football and no one has heard from them since.

lieb

Maybe that would be preferable to what people think when they hear from us now?

I'm going to report you and Corona to the secret Texas Board of Football for this blatant anti-Texan heresy. Look at what happened to UT-Arlington. They dropped football and no one has heard from them since.

lieb
And the sad thing is that they have just as many bowl wins as us since 1967, one, and they dropped football in 1985.

And the sad thing is that they have just as many bowl wins as us since 1967, one, and they dropped football in 1985.
The really sad thing to me is, here we are following a somewhat rejunenated football program, hoping they get win #8 tomorrow, going to a bowl game and the future of football looking pretty good but some want to drop the sport? Only in UTEP fandom would that be part of the discussion at a time like that.

I think we should drop to Independent, hire a football coach for 100k, play 6 or more body bag games a year. With that money hire a basketball coach for about five - six million. I'm thinking we'll call Beard first, if he says no maybe Izzo or Wright. Build a new state of the art arena that sits 4-5k like Liberty did for small crowds and use the Haskins Center for bigger crowds and for record breaking crowds use the Sun Bowl. After we win the National Championship a few times, use the NCAA credits to hire a better football coach. By then we'll have the MW and Pac 12 fighting over us but we'll spurn them both to join the Big East.
Hell no.

The really sad thing to me is, here we are following a somewhat rejunenated football program, hoping they get win #8 tomorrow, going to a bowl game and the future of football looking pretty good but some want to drop the sport? Only in UTEP fandom would that be part of the discussion at a time like that.
Exactly. Agree with your words

Maybe you’d like to tell us what we’ve accomplished in football? If you want to compare the success between the two programs, it’s not even close…

Yeah, we hired Tim Floyd and paid him well. We also hired Mike Price, who was a former COY and about to coach the most prestigious program in CFB. We gave him a good salary, plus a bonus for ticket sales, and all the the extra perks he got along the way (beautiful house with a lake built for him). The result was the most success we’ve ever had…which was a couple winning seasons and zero bowl wins….

I said it on another thread, but look at all the D2 programs that have blown by us, with a fraction of the support and financial backing. Our lack of success isn’t due to prioritizing bball over football. Our lack of success stems from being historically one of the worst all time programs in the history of fbs. No recruits are looking to play here, unless they have no other options.

it’s much easier to convince a few talented bball players to commit to this university, which can be enough to get us to the tournament with the right coach and role players. It’s damn near impossible to convince enough talented football players you’d need to commit here, in order to shore up all the offensive/defensive/special teams positions you need to be successful….
Actually according to the majority it's easier to build a bowl football team than it is to find a few talented basketball players.

Yea we got very lucky to get a coach of Mike Price's caliber at only 225k. I wonder what kind of coach we could have hired around 09 for the 600k salary we offered Tim Floyd. There's really no telling how successful our football program could have been if we had maintained focus on the program. Even with limited funding it's shown flashes of brilliance. Love basketball all you want but nothing in El Paso compares to a sold out Sun Bowl.

UTEP just lucked out that the mens basketball program had a Hall of Fame coach that decided to stick around for the duration of his coaching career. Haskins is the reason for about 98% of UTEP's talked about success. Correct me I am wrong, 1 conference title in football, and 2 conference titles in basketball post Haskins? Both programs haven't been very successful the past 21 years. Both programs lack of success describes both programs in 3 words now days. The "all it takes is 5 talented basketball players to commit and the right coach" phrase has been used a lot the past 10 years, but that is turning into an impossible task like it is with finding enough talented players for the football team. UTEP has had the highest paid coaches and some of the highest recruiting budgets in CUSA to find these "easy to find 5 players", but has had a terrible return of investment the last 10 years in a weak basketball conference. WKU has had a loaded roster the past few years and only has 1 conference championship to show for it in a one bid, only the CUSA Tourney winner goes to the NCAA Tourney conference. NMSU has dominated us the past 10 years in basketball with half of the resources that UTEP has. We can pay a coach half of what we pay now and still have the same chance of making the NCAA Tourney. Every year it's the same old thing with UTEP basketball, one of the highest paid coaches and recruiting budgets, and the same old below average team in a crappy basketball conference that loses in the first round of the CUSA Tournament. You keep saying it so much easier to be more successful in basketball, but we aren't very successful in basketball when Don Haskins isn't coaching. UTEP is spending $700k a year for the mens BB coach and we are losing to UC Riverside at home because they are a better team. We can pay 350k to get those same results.

Last edited:
UTEP just lucked out that the mens basketball program had a Hall of Fame coach that decided to stick around for the duration of his coaching career. Haskins was responsible for about 95% of UTEP's talked about success. Correct me I am wrong, 1 conference title in football, and 2 conference titles in basketball post Haskins? Both programs haven't been very successful the past 21 years. Both programs lack of success describes both programs in 3 words now days. The "all it takes is 5 talented basketball players to commit and the right coach" phrase has been used a lot the past 10 years, but that is turning into an impossible task like it is with finding enough talented players for the football team. UTEP has had the highest paid coaches and some of the highest recruiting budgets in CUSA to find these "easy to find 5 players", but has had a terrible return of investment the last 10 years in a weak basketball conference. NMSU has dominated us the past 10 years in basketball with half of the resources that UTEP has. We can pay a coach half of what we pay now and still have the same chance of making the NCAA Tourney. Every year it's the same old thing with UTEP basketball, one of the highest paid coaches and recruiting budgets, and the same old below average team in a crappy basketball conference that loses in the first round of the CUSA Tournament. You keep saying it so much easier to be more successful in basketball, but we aren't very successful in basketball when Don Haskins isn't coaching..
If only Billy Gillespie had stayed……who knows

Reactions: mikesarabia
It's gonna be interesting to keep an eye on CMU and Barbee. They hired him at 400k. Which is almost what he was making in El Paso 12 years ago, 360k.

We had a good formula working for basketball. Hire up and coming coaches at a low salary. It wasn't until we went full basketball mode that we ran out of luck. We had zero need to hire basketball coaches at 600-750k when coaches with half their pay got the job done.

It's gonna be interesting to keep an eye on CMU and Barbee. They hired him at 400k. Which is almost what he was making in El Paso 12 years ago, 360k.

We had a good formula working for basketball. Hire up and coming coaches at a low salary. It wasn't until we went full basketball mode that we ran out of luck. We had zero need to hire basketball coaches at 600-750k when coaches with half their pay got the job done.
What on earth are you talking about ? Tim Floyd at the time was thought to be an outstanding hire. He was a big name coach who loved utep and El Paso. We had to pay him what he was worth at the time.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
What on earth are you talking about ? Tim Floyd at the time was thought to be an outstanding hire. He was a big name coach who loved utep and El Paso. We had to pay him what he was worth at the time.
We invested heavily in basketball and have nothing to show for it since Barbee. Let's try football now. Let's hire a big name coach and pay him what he's worth.

Reactions: MinerFan79
We invested heavily in basketball and have nothing to show for it since Barbee. Let's try football now. Let's hire a big name coach and pay him what he's worth.
So you want to fire a coach that has us headed to a bowl game and could reach 9 wins this season? I agree with your sentiment but take it easy. Dimel is doing well

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT