ADVERTISEMENT

Attendance for Rice Game

Maximus Miner

Rookie
Jul 1, 2005
I think somewhere between 25-30k is feasible, however the EP chihuahuas may be playing depending how the first three playoff games go. I hope the halftime entertainment is better after the marching band performs.

The Chihuahuas didn't have great attendance for their playoff games last year. I don't think it will affect UTEP's crowd. Years and years of losing will.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I think the crowd will be in the 25k range. I can see the crowd being larger because it is the beginning of the season and the casual fan hasn't had his soul crushed yet. But I can also see a sub 25k crowd since attendance has not been that good under Kugler.

Reactions: utep-piggy
I would love to see 25000-30000 fans on Saturday night but I just don't see it happening. Crowds have been down trending under Kugler for a few years now and I think the Oklahoma score has given the casual UTEP fan the impression that nothing has changed. My guess is Saturday's attendance will be somewhere in the 15000 range but I hope I'm wrong.

This crop of players deserve a sellout. To Coach Kugler's credit he has done more handshaking, smiling with fans for selfies and his black sharpies were actually used this past year. I hope this adds a few thousand more in the stands. 25k will be a darn good turnout at this point in the program history.

I received a couple of extra tickets in the mail for this Rice game. The letter from UTEP stated that it was for renewing my season tickets on-line. Assuming that if most season ticket holders also recieved a few extra tickets, then maybe this could have an impact on either the attendance or announced attendance?

My guess is the announced crowd will be north of 28,000. Actual butts in seats will be much lower.

The previous two times UTEP has had a conference opponent as the season opener have been good gates. In 2000 UTEP opened the season at home vs SMU and drew over 31,000 after taking a beating in Norman. In 2005 UTEP opened the home season vs Houston in front of more than 45,500 vs Houston.

This year we have a conference Texas opponent that we have history with. The excitement of a new season and the ticket promotional pricing could lead to a decent "number."

CUSA week 1 attendance
  1. UAB: 45,212
  2. FAU: 28,481
  3. MTSU: 26,717
  4. La Tech: 24,002
  5. USM: 22,761
  6. Marshall: 22,463
  7. ODU: 20,118
  8. UNT: 19,592
  9. WKU: 18,614

With the fees it still costs almost $19 for one ticket. You're aren't really saving anything.
UTEPDefense received a couple of free tickets. If other season ticket holders did as well that's a way to boost up the "sales."

UTEPDefense received a couple of free tickets. If other season ticket holders did as well that's a way to boost up the "sales."

I got the free tickets as well. The sad part is I couldn't even give them away. I was referring to the 50% off promotion online.

I got the free tickets as well. The sad part is I couldn't even give them away. I was referring to the 50% off promotion online.
The point is UTEP is trying to increase the attendance for the home opener. Either by free tickets and or 50% off. The end results will be an inflated attendance number for the home opener.

The point is UTEP is trying to increase the attendance for the home opener. Either by free tickets and or 50% off. The end results will be an inflated attendance number for the home opener.

Yep, exactly. Sad that most likely not many people will be there in the stands.

And like I said, the tickets are not really 50% percent off because of the fees. If you could get that offer in person that wold be a different story.

Yep, exactly. Sad that most likely not many people will be there in the stands.

And like I said, the tickets are not really 50% percent off because of the fees. If you could get that offer in person that wold be a different story.
If the "50%" off is enough to lure some extra ticket sales then it did its job. Since those tickets would have gone unsold.

I don't really think it's sad. As well all know UTEP has been horrible for a long time. Now drawing 18,000 as the back to back conference champions against an old rival is sad. If UTEP had won 23 games, two bowls, and finished in the top25 the previous two years the home opener would be close to a sell out.

Reactions: develman
If the "50%" off is enough to lure some extra ticket sales then it did its job. Since those tickets would have gone unsold.

I don't really think it's sad. As well all know UTEP has been horrible for a long time. Now drawing 18,000 as the back to back conference champions against an old rival is sad. If UTEP had won 23 games, two bowls, and finished in the top25 the previous two years the home opener would be close to a sell out.

Besides seeing it randomly on here I didn't even see the 50% off sale being advertised.

I meant it's sad that even the free tickets will not go to use.

Besides seeing it randomly on here I didn't even see the 50% off sale being advertised.

I meant it's sad that even the free tickets will not go to use.
I guess it would be sort of pathetic for UTEP if they can't get people into the stadium with free tickets. Just cause in your case the free tickets will go to waste doesn't necessarily mean all the free tickets will go in the trash. Others who received free tickets may be able to give them to someone who will use them.

I think it's a very creative way to count tickets sold for empty seats. Regardless if the free ticket is used or discarded it will be counted as a "sold" ticket. At the end of the season that's all that matters. No one is going to physically count every single person in the stadium and verify if the amount announced is the actual attendance.

ODU did some shady counting in their basketball attendance last season. If you add up all the box score attendance it averaged out to less than UTEP. Somehow once it was all said and done they ended up with a higher average than UTEP.

What matters are fans that actually pay. There is a reason the UTEP athletic department is millions of dollars in the red.
Most G5 and a lot of P5 programs are in the red. What does it matter what they do with unsold tickets? I think it's genius to take some of those tickets that would otherwise go unsold and give them away to potential new customers in the future. They might have a good time and come back for another game.

Most G5 and a lot of P5 programs are in the red. What does it matter what they do with unsold tickets? I think it's genius to take some of those tickets that would otherwise go unsold and give them away to potential new customers in the future. They might have a good time and come back for another game.

They have given away free tickets to season ticket holders for a few years and it hasn't helped.

As I stated in another thread UTEP needs promotions. They need to get the casual fan excited since UTEP is not winning. Of course when I clicked on the promotions for the upcoming season the page is blank.

UAB
They have given away free tickets to season ticket holders for a few years and it hasn't helped.

As I stated in another thread UTEP needs promotions. They need to get the casual fan excited since UTEP is not winning. Of course when I clicked on the promotions for the upcoming season the page is blank.
That is the promotion. Free tickets and others at 50% off.

UNT game day promotion = free rally towels and pom Pom's. Didn't specify how many. Attendance less than 20,000

UAB game day promotion = the return of football no giveaways. Attendance = more than 45,000

UTSA game day promotion = one lucky kid gets to retrieve the kicking tee. No free giveaways. Attendance was rumored over 50,000 before postponed.

USM game day promotion = faculty and staff appreciation. No free giveaways. Attendance = 22,761. Vs an SEC opponent that many believed could be beat.

La Tech game day promotion = Family weekend, LATC appreciation. No free giveaways. Attendance = 24,000

Those are the great promotions our division rivals did this past weekend. Aside from UAB all of them are coming off a bowl season. Only one team gave away something and their attendance still couldn't crack 20,000.

UAB
That is the promotion. Free tickets and others at 50% off.

UNT game day promotion = free rally towels and pom Pom's. Didn't specify how many. Attendance less than 20,000

UAB game day promotion = the return of football no giveaways. Attendance = more than 45,000

UTSA game day promotion = one lucky kid gets to retrieve the kicking tee. No free giveaways. Attendance was rumored over 50,000 before postponed.

USM game day promotion = faculty and staff appreciation. No free giveaways. Attendance = 22,761. Vs an SEC opponent that many believed could be beat.

La Tech game day promotion = Family weekend, LATC appreciation. No free giveaways. Attendance = 24,000

Those are the great promotions our division rivals did this past weekend. Aside from UAB all of them are coming off a bowl season. Only one team gave away something and their attendance still couldn't crack 20,000.

So just because other teams don't do it we can't? That's a bad mentality to have.

Free tickets aren't a "promotion" because season ticket holders only got the free tickets. It has nothing to with the casual fan.

Saving less than $2 on a "50% off 'promotion" isn't a good "promotion".

Arizona gave out Rob Gronkowski bobbleheads on Saturday. Now THAT is a promotion.

So just because other teams don't do it we can't? That's a bad mentality to have.

Free tickets aren't a "promotion" because season ticket holders only got the free tickets. It has nothing to with the casual fan.

Saving less than $2 on a "50% off 'promotion" isn't a good "promotion".

Arizona gave out Rob Gronkowski bobbleheads on Saturday. Now THAT is a promotion.
The mentality is that the method of giving away souvenirs has been tried and has produced minimal results. Here and in other universities. That's why most programs are turning away from such investments.

It is a promotion because season ticket holders are the main customer desired. By giving them the tickets they are used as word of mouth to bring in potential future season ticket holders.

People see 50% off and automatically think it's a good deal.

That's a good deal for the season ticket holders of Arizona. Since they were mainly the only ones guaranteed one. No other free giveaways planned for the rest of the season.

You would never know they dropped football.
That number can be deceiving. The opponent they played Alabama A&M draws very well at Legion Field. They play the annual Magic City Classic vs Alabama State and always draw crowds of 70,000 or more.

That crowd of 45,000+ is the current record for a UAB game. It will be interesting to see what their next home game vs Coastal Carolina does.

The mentality is that the method of giving away souvenirs has been tried and has produced minimal results. Here and in other universities. That's why most programs are turning away from such investments.

It is a promotion because season ticket holders are the main customer desired. By giving them the tickets they are used as word of mouth to bring in potential future season ticket holders.

People see 50% off and automatically think it's a good deal.

That's a good deal for the season ticket holders of Arizona. Since they were mainly the only ones guaranteed one. No other free giveaways planned for the rest of the season.

I'm not sure if you have ever been at a UTEP game where they actually gave out items. Lines were long before the doors opened and it definitely boosted attendance.

Arizona gave them out through to non-season ticket holders through a lottery system and you found out in the 3rd quarter if you won. Seems like a great promotion!

I'm not sure if you have ever been at a UTEP game where they actually gave out items. Lines were long before the doors opened and it definitely boosted attendance.

I believe you but do you have an example that you can easily remember?

The Lobos have giveaways at every football game. It's not that hard to do and all you have to do is to find a sponsor.

The Lobos have giveaways at every football game. It's not that hard to do and all you have to do is to find a sponsor.
And yet despite all those free giveaways, winning nine games, and winning a bowl game they still averaged 5,000 less fans per game than a four win UTEP team.

And yet despite all those free giveaways, winning nine games, and winning a bowl game they still averaged 5,000 less fans per game than a four win UTEP team.

Lobo football attendance has never been good. Even when they played in the New Mexico Bowl they couldn't get a sellout.

But, that's not the point. Promotions don't hurt and can only help. Also, it doesn't cost anything if you find a sponsor.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Lobo football attendance has never been good. Even when they played in the New Mexico Bowl they couldn't get a sellout.

But, that's not the point. Promotions don't hurt and can only help. Also, it doesn't cost anything if you find a sponsor.

That's not necessarily true. The Lobos had a run of eight consecutive years in the early 2000's where they averaged around 30,000 or more fans per season. In 2005 they averaged 38,341 out of a capacity of 38,634 and they only finished one game above .500. While you are right that they haven't sold out their own bowl game they do average about 80% capacity per appearance.

I agree with you promotional giveaways could help. The G5 teams that use them don't seem to have any additional advantages over teams that don't. You're right they won't cost anything with a sponsor but I'm guessing no one is lining up to provide the merchandise.

Reactions: sportsfan5000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT