ADVERTISEMENT

Banning the Has Beens

pay4dirt

All Star
Gold Member
Feb 21, 2007
I've read some of the blogs about the upgrades to the Sun Bowl. Several thoughts given on getting in on the playoff games. The nay sayers are opposed to it. How dare El Paso and the Sun Bowl game think they are worthy of it. The Sun Bowl game will never again get the better teams. UTEP's football team will never again win a bowl game. Our basketball team will never again win a conference championship or make a deep run in the NCAA tournament. Our track and field team will never again shine at Nationals. The last time UTEP was worth a damn in sports was decades ago. The University of Has Beens. The same story when the blog is about better conference affiliation. We're not worthy. We're not worthy.
Well we're not Wayne and Garth either. Get over yourselves. Quit chasing the last big thing. We need to go after the next big thing. Senter said if we're not improving our facilities we're falling behind. Very true. Whatever level we find ourselves at, we'll find it going forward, not backward. We
obviously need to improve a good deal to keep up. We'd better do it instead of just grip about it.
OK. Now that I've gotten that off my chest, thanks for listening. Go Forward. Go Miners.

I've read some of the blogs about the upgrades to the Sun Bowl. Several thoughts given on getting in on the playoff games. The nay sayers are opposed to it. How dare El Paso and the Sun Bowl game think they are worthy of it. The Sun Bowl game will never again get the better teams. UTEP's football team will never again win a bowl game. Our basketball team will never again win a conference championship or make a deep run in the NCAA tournament. Our track and field team will never again shine at Nationals. The last time UTEP was worth a damn in sports was decades ago. The University of Has Beens. The same story when the blog is about better conference affiliation. We're not worthy. We're not worthy.
Well we're not Wayne and Garth either. Get over yourselves. Quit chasing the last big thing. We need to go after the next big thing. Senter said if we're not improving our facilities we're falling behind. Very true. Whatever level we find ourselves at, we'll find it going forward, not backward. We
obviously need to improve a good deal to keep up. We'd better do it instead of just grip about it.
OK. Now that I've gotten that off my chest, thanks for listening. Go Forward. Go Miners.
Appreciate your passion, Pay4Dirt, but UTEP will not only win a bowl game, the Miners will do it within the next four years. Make book on it.

I hope it happens. I was paraphrasing the naysayers in sounding so defeatist. We have to start somewhere. Yes, we do need to upgrade the Sun Bowl. Yes, we need to upscale the amenities to attract better athletes. Yes, we need a winning season to put more fans in the seats. Yes, we need more fans in the seats to generate revenue for upgrades and amenities. Yes, we need more upgrades and amenities. You see how we can chase our own tails with this. We have to jump in the river somewhere and start swimming or we'll never get across that divide. All the things people have mentioned need doing. Let's just actually do something instead of just complain and talk for the next ten or twenty years.

Yes, yes, yes and yes. As you rightly point out, all those things must be done. One triumph begets the next and the next and the next.

I have faith, the football team will be competitive and will win a couple of
conference championship and bowl games. You can count on that with
the current staff.
The Basketball team will have a harder time but will also win a couple
of conference titles and make it to the NCAA in three years, count it.
You heard it here first.
We will rock the Sun Bowl and the Don. We must I say again We Must
support the new staff to make things happened.

Go Miners...

Reactions: HeWore62
Salute your optimism, especially in this rocky sea of disappointment. I cannot do much to move the needle, but I hope Jim Senter and his staff can shake the money tree. With new coaches in men's buckets and in football, I sense a rising tide, which would raise all boats. And certainly raise our spirits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT