ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball recruiting needs

NMSU 3rd string shooting guard a former East Carolina player shawn Williams is transferring from NMSU. Terry better pick him up

At lot of the PG transfers that are immediately eligible are being taken. I think the best left are Darius Perry (Lousville), Drew Buggs (Hawaii), Bolden (South Carolina). Perry or Buggs would be the best, but I'm sure both are looking at high majors.

Eric Boone #26 and Trevin Wade (Trey's brother) #83 are the top JC guys left.

Terry needs to pull something out of his hat pretty soon.
Perry to UCF.
Its pretty much done to Buggs and Boone from this list. I will check for any updates.

According to what I just counted we have 9 scholarships now with new recruits. So we should have 4 left. I'm sure one will be an experienced Transfer PG from another school. No need to panic yet. I know it seems like basketball ended forever ago, but season technically would've just ended 2 weeks ago. Relax folks, we have plenty of time to stress and be disappointed still lol

I don’t think anyone’s panicking because of time... it’s more because all potential impact players are being taken

Reactions: axingfools1
I don’t think anyone’s panicking because of time... it’s more because all potential impact players are being taken
I know, I'm just trying to hold out a little hope Terry will get a quality PG transfer before it's all done. Not ready to give up yet.

I hope he gets another JWash. Looking back he could do it all, lock down defense and play various spots.

To be considered a coaching genius and get plucked for a million dollar job, all you need is one great team. And it looks like Terry is going to unload and reload until he gets his moment.

To be considered a coaching genius and get plucked for a million dollar job, all you need is one great team. And it looks like Terry is going to unload and reload until he gets his moment.
I like that style. It’s a high risk high reward. I think there’s a higher chance of reaching the NCAAT that way. A lot of schools have been with a coach the old traditional way and four-five years later still can’t reach the goal.

I think the best way at the midmajor level is to build from the ground up and fill in with transfers to take you over the top. Barbee did it best. Problem is he had no chance to snowball it because he moved on. Terry doesn't want to take the time to build or else he wouldn't have over recruited and push players out. He's doing the same shit Floyd did. UTEP needs somebody that wants to build, take transfers and stay for a little while

I think the best way at the midmajor level is to build from the ground up and fill in with transfers to take you over the top. Barbee did it best. Problem is he had no chance to snowball it because he moved on. Terry doesn't want to take the time to build or else he wouldn't have over recruited and push players out. He's doing the same shit Floyd did. UTEP needs somebody that wants to build, take transfers and stay for a little while
I wonder if that method still works. I know we were spoiled with Billy setting up Doc and Tony setting up Floyd. It seems new coaches don’t want previous recruits. Look at uab. They do it the old fashioned way. Four year later nothing to show for it they fire the coach. A new coach comes in and dismantles whatever foundation was laid by the previous coach. It works if the coach can win by year 4-5 but if he doesn’t we’re back to square one. The terry transfer approach is also what Stansburry does. Year in year out you know his teams will be talented and compete for the title. I like that method better than the “utsa” build a team from the ground up. Two of the best players in the conference together for 3 years and all they can show for it is 13 wins and a 10th place finish. Give me ride and die by the transfer.

I wonder if that method still works. I know we were spoiled with Billy setting up Doc and Tony setting up Floyd. It seems new coaches don’t want previous recruits. Look at uab. They do it the old fashioned way. Four year later nothing to show for it they fire the coach. A new coach comes in and dismantles whatever foundation was laid by the previous coach. It works if the coach can win by year 4-5 but if he doesn’t we’re back to square one. The terry transfer approach is also what Stansburry does. Year in year out you know his teams will be talented and compete for the title. I like that method better than the “utsa” build a team from the ground up. Two of the best players in the conference together for 3 years and all they can show for it is 13 wins and a 10th place finish. Give me ride and die by the transfer.
You have to use all ways possible to bring in the best players possible. In basketball, if you can piece four or five really solid players, it is possible to make a run at the NCAA tourney. That is easier said than done for most mid majors. We need to utilize Prop 48 guys, if the risk is worth the reward. Not all conferences allow Prop guys. You need to look at transfer guys who may not be admitted to other schools (see Daryl Edwards). It is tough to find and keep the really good guys for four years with the way the NCAA is now opening up transfers more.

Last edited:
You have to use all ways possible to bring in the best players possible. In basketball, if you can piece four or five really solid players, it is possible to make a run at the NCAA tourney. That is easier said than done for most mid majors. We need to utilize Prop 48 guys, if the risk is worth the reward. Not all conference allow Prop guys. You need to look at transfer guys who may not be admitted to other schools (see Daryl Edwards). It is tough to find and keep the really good guys for four years with the way the NCAA is now opening up transfers more.
Good point. If you go the old fashioned way of redshirting and building the hard way what’s to stop your junior star players from transferring and playing immediately at a P5 school? It’s a tough game nowadays to keep a team together. There’s no loyalty. Win and improve.

UAB had 3 or 4 young decent players that could have made a nice foundation for a new coach to build on. Just like UTEP did when Terry came in. My suspicion is that the players weren't interested in being part of the rebuild because they all had at least 2 years of eligibility left. Hard to say if they all left or if the coach pushed them out.

UTSA hasn't been able to bring in any transfers to help up front (like MTSU did for a few years). They have a nice young big in Germany, but by the time he grows into his position, Jackson and Wallace will be gone. They need a transfer big this year to push them to the top. UTEP needs a PG. Neither team can seem to get it done. Image UTEP with Jackson or UTSA with Williams. Instant favorites. Their SHOULD be some appeal there for at least 1 player that fits the profile. I give a ton of credit to Jackson for staying at UTSA.

Stansburry is getting some nice transfers, but is also signing 4-5 star recruits almost every year. He has yet to win CUSA, but it will happen soon.

Terry has never been able to replace the loss of Likekeke. 2 years in and we have lost 5 other potential point guards and we still don't have one for year 3 yet. It is imperative that CRT find one now or his tenure at UTEP will be over soon.

Good stuff Axe. Henson and Terry are perfect opposite examples when building a team. No matter which way you do it if you can’t find that one piece to fit you’re going to end up with the same results. As shovel would say a hohum season.

UAB had 3 or 4 young decent players that could have made a nice foundation for a new coach to build on. Just like UTEP did when Terry came in. My suspicion is that the players weren't interested in being part of the rebuild because they all had at least 2 years of eligibility left. Hard to say if they all left or if the coach pushed them out.

UTSA hasn't been able to bring in any transfers to help up front (like MTSU did for a few years). They have a nice young big in Germany, but by the time he grows into his position, Jackson and Wallace will be gone. They need a transfer big this year to push them to the top. UTEP needs a PG. Neither team can seem to get it done. Image UTEP with Jackson or UTSA with Williams. Instant favorites. Their SHOULD be some appeal there for at least 1 player that fits the profile. I give a ton of credit to Jackson for staying at UTSA.

Stansburry is getting some nice transfers, but is also signing 4-5 star recruits almost every year. He has yet to win CUSA, but it will happen soon.

Terry has never been able to replace the loss of Likekeke. 2 years in and we have lost 5 other potential point guards and we still don't have one for year 3 yet. It is imperative that CRT find one now or his tenure at UTEP will be over soon.
Terry will really need to pull a rabbit out of his hat to bring in a capable PG at this point. Most of the top JC guys are gone, along with many graduates with immediate eligibility. He'd better hope someone comes available, because right now, he has zero lead guards on the roster. I don't think Kennedy is anything close to a true facilitator, and neither is Boum.

Anybody know if UNM's JJ Caldwell is immediately eligible? We are getting to the point where we may have to consider. Averaged nearly 6 assists a game and had a bunch of steals.

Also PG Tyler Harris is transferring from Memphis (sit out 1 yr) He may not be a big facilitater, but he could be a good piece for the future. Good shooter.

Anybody know if UNM's JJ Caldwell is immediately eligible? We are getting to the point where we may have to consider. Averaged nearly 6 assists a game and had a bunch of steals.

Also PG Tyler Harris is transferring from Memphis (sit out 1 yr) He may not be a big facilitater, but he could be a good piece for the future. Good shooter.
I think he is. He was a redshirt freshman last year.

Lol. That reminded me of this one 21 year old senior in my hs that thought he was cool cuz he could buy us beer.
Right. I think he is probably applying for eligibility though. Would seem weird having to apply for a 6th season while having to sit out a 3rd.

Right. I think he is probably applying for eligibility though. Would seem weird having to apply for a 6th season while having to sit out a 3rd.
I don’t understand why he had to sit out a year even though he redshirted his freshman year. Why doesn’t our new guy and Stroud have to sit out? It seems like the same situation.

I don’t understand why he had to sit out a year even though he redshirted his freshman year. Why doesn’t our new guy and Stroud have to sit out? It seems like the same situation.
He sat out when he transferred from Texas A&M to UNM. He redshirted his 1st season at Texas A&M and then played the 2nd season before transferring to UNM.

With Archie

Their new coach is “highly regarded” as he was with Beard at UALR and Tech. Not that getting Archie is a coup, but you can see why players would want to be there.

Some posters claim “who could we hire to replace Terry”. This guy is a perfect example. We will see how he does.

Their new coach is “highly regarded” as he was with Beard at UALR and Tech. Not that getting Archie is a coup, but you can see why players would want to be there.

Some posters claim “who could we hire to replace Terry”. This guy is a perfect example. We will see how he does.
Lol @ me next time. I remember last year how almost everyone on here was saying similar things about Terry compared to Floyd.

Lol @ me next time. I remember last year how almost everyone on here was saying similar things about Terry compared to Floyd.

I’m sure you’re not the only one that thinks that way. Last year, we believed that all the transfers and continued improvement by Lathon, Hawkins, and Odiege was imminent.

Williams is great, Boum is okay, all the others were crap.

Reactions: JCorona
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT