ADVERTISEMENT

Be real

UTEPfan1966

MI VIP
Apr 26, 2016
Did ANYONE expect a quick turnaround? I mean seriously? Not long ago, EVERYONE was saying how D3 our roster was under Kugler. Dimel has been loyal to the kids that stayed. Most places are giving Dimel props on recruiting, considering where we were. The plan is to build a program, not a season. You MUST be patient and see "IF" his recruits pan out. I think

I totally agree with what you guys/gal are saying about the couching and play calling. BUT, maybe it will be better with his own players next year....we MUST give it a chance.....bringing in a new coach just effs us up again.

That being said....fire Canales....

Quick turnaround? No. Total ineptitude like he has displayed? No.

He’s been out coached almost every game. He did well vs Tennessee last year, other than that, the only thing he has shown us, is that he can’t coach. Central Michigan won 1 game last year and they’re already bowl eligible with their new coach. Probably be he can actually coach!

Reactions: Autograph Boy
The mistake dimel has made is he hasnt found a QB. He should be playing a young QB not a senior. If he plays a young qb like a true or red shirt freshman. We can at least know okay he is trying to build something.

Did ANYONE expect a quick turnaround? I mean seriously? Not long ago, EVERYONE was saying how D3 our roster was under Kugler. Dimel has been loyal to the kids that stayed. Most places are giving Dimel props on recruiting, considering where we were. The plan is to build a program, not a season. You MUST be patient and see "IF" his recruits pan out. I think

I totally agree with what you guys/gal are saying about the couching and play calling. BUT, maybe it will be better with his own players next year....we MUST give it a chance.....bringing in a new coach just effs us up again.

Fair point. On Saturdays when I’m watching this team implode I want to say fire everyone but when it’s all said and done I understand the players are half of the problem. No disrespect to those kids, they’re trying and they’ve come close but they’re just not good enough.

The other half falls on the coaches who have seemed to have as many mental mistakes as the players. Bad play calls, the platooning of the QBs, the defense has generated no pass rush. We can go on and on and on. End of the season, Dimel should fire someone because you can’t win 2 games in 2 years and keep the whole staff.

Next year I think this team has potential, but it seems like questions will linger. QB will be wide open and I don’t know if that’s a good thing. We get Wadley and Hankins in the backfield which could be one of the better tandems in the conference. Garrett and Cowing are very good. But I’m worried about the O-Line because they’re trash this year with all that experience and who’s going to step up on D next year?

I said before the season 3 wins is progress and would make me feel confident about the program's direction under Dimmel.

I commend not pushing kids out the door. But the best should be playing. If Dimmel's recruits haven't really cracked the starting rotations, how good are they?

It isn't fair to expect Dimel to turn this program around quickly, but it is fair to expect some sort of improvement from him. Unfortunately, he hasn't shown any and that is very concerning considering that he has only won 10 games in his last 55 games as a HC. He doesn't have bowl game type talent this year, but he has enough talent to win at least 3 games this season with our joke of a schedule. After watching the Charlotte game, I get the impression that Dimel will put us in a position to lose even if his players turn out to be good. If he can't beat a winless NMSU and Rice, how can anyone have any confidence things are going to get better??? Hopefully I am wrong.

Last edited:

No, I don’t think anybody expected a quick turnaround.

Do you think that we should at least see improvement, though? If so, is there ANY evidence of it?

Improvement is what most on here expect.

We have ONE win over an fbs team in Dimel’s nearly two years. That one win is over a team that has ONE win over an fbs opponent in two years.

I seem to remember you saying that you were kind of buddy buddy with Dimel, 1966. Well that buddy buddy system is what kept Price, Kugler and Floyd around long after their expiration dates. You can’t honestly be happy with the lack of progress.

We have ONE win over an fbs team in Dimel’s nearly two years. That one win is over a team that has ONE win over an fbs opponent in two years.

I seem to remember you saying that you were kind of buddy buddy with Dimel, 1966. Well that buddy buddy system is what kept Price, Kugler and Floyd around long after their expiration dates. You can’t honestly be happy with the lack of progress.

I get what you are saying, I really do, but....I also remember how bad we were with Kugler, Most of those kids are still here playing. He was loyal to them. He has brought in what seems to be a lot better players.
IMHO, I think he's trying to develop the new guys while being able to keep them around for 5 years to build the program for a longer period of time. While I want wins now as well, I can understand this process. Also, just because the new kids will be better, that certainly doesn't mean our team would be any better right now.

While I have met Dimel and chatted with him a few times, that doesn't mean we are buddies. He's a very likable dude, but I will wait until next year to call for his head. That's only fair given where he had to start from. His assistants on the other hand, can be fired today. WTF happened to our promising defense? ugh

By comparing year five of Kugler (worst year in the history of UTEP) to year two of Dimel we can see a lot of similar scores.

@ USM Lost by 24
Lost by 18

2017 vs UTSA Lost by 17
2019 lost by 10

2017 @ UNT Lost by 25
2019 lost by 27

2017 vs LT lost by 21
2019 Lost by 21

We will really see if this team has improved during the RICE and NMSU games. Win those two and we’re showing improvement. Lose them and we’re basically as awful as the team from 2017 with the exception of hosting HBU instead of going to the #7 team in the nation.

I get what you are saying, I really do, but....I also remember how bad we were with Kugler, Most of those kids are still here playing. He was loyal to them. He has brought in what seems to be a lot better players.
IMHO, I think he's trying to develop the new guys while being able to keep them around for 5 years to build the program for a longer period of time. While I want wins now as well, I can understand this process. Also, just because the new kids will be better, that certainly doesn't mean our team would be any better right now.

While I have met Dimel and chatted with him a few times, that doesn't mean we are buddies. He's a very likable dude, but I will wait until next year to call for his head. That's only fair given where he had to start from. His assistants on the other hand, can be fired today. WTF happened to our promising defense? ugh

Fair enough.

Saw you on Miner TV...either a twitter or instagram post of you at the game. Anyway, hope all is well at the bar.

Fair enough.

Saw you on Miner TV...either a twitter or instagram post of you at the game. Anyway, hope all is well at the bar.
Ack.....I was tweeting and didn't realize they were sharing....LOL It's all good. Am I as ugly on tv as in person?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT