ADVERTISEMENT

Beat ODU and take care of Houston Baptist...

FeralFelidae

MI Miner Maniac
Sep 1, 2003
And the Miners will be 4-5 with games against bottom-dwellers FAU and Rice to follow. Six wins is a very real possibility; the Miners just need to find a way to take down ODU.

In perspective of where this team is now, 6-6 will be a pleasant surprise. In the big picture this team still disappointed. Now go 7-5 and win a Bowl and that's a great turn around and gives us another year of hope with what's coming back from a young team!

Old Dominion isn't a pushover, but also not some kind of powerhouse. I guess it comes down to if UTEP's defense comes on.

What I am saying is last week it was "OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!"" This week is "We have a good shot making a bowl game!"

Look man, I want us to win, but let's be realistic and take it ONE game at a time. Last week's win is awesome, but as my daddy used to say, even a blind squirrel can find an acorn once in a while. In other words, if we start winning same games, THEN let's talk about a bowl game.

The over reaction both ways on this board is simply amazing.....

What I am saying is last week it was "OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!"" This week is "We have a good shot making a bowl game!"

Look man, I want us to win, but let's be realistic and take it ONE game at a time. Last week's win is awesome, but as my daddy used to say, even a blind squirrel can find an acorn once in a while. In other words, if we start winning same games, THEN let's talk about a bowl game.

The over reaction both ways on this board is simply amazing.....

So, no permission to dream?

Reactions: develman
The door is cracked open for Uteps bowl hopes instead of being slammed shut last week, that's all people are really saying. Last week means little if Utep follows it up with a Dud against ODU though. Last week, left a flicker of hope, but there's still a lot more games for the Miners to either extinguish that flame or ignite it further, so we'll see. I have no dreams, just a small glimmer of hope!

Cancel the rest of the season!
Fire the coaches!
Expel the players!
Burn the Sun Bowl to the ground!!!!!!

We were all too optimistic following that UTSA game. It's a little unrealistic to have expected a 2-5 team to go 4 - 2 at worst down the stretch to make a bowl.

So everyone was giving me crap because I pointed out how overly optimistic some had become after one win. Some of you were talking bowl game after ONE exciting game we happen to win.
So our schedule is still very weak down the stretch. Does anyone here really think we should/could win out?

Yes...I TOLD YOU SO......look, we need a change and we need it now. I don't care if we win out and become bowl eligible, Kugler must go....

So everyone was giving me crap because I pointed out how overly optimistic some had become after one win. Some of you were talking bowl game after ONE exciting game we happen to win.
So our schedule is still very weak down the stretch. Does anyone here really think we should/could win out?

Yes...I TOLD YOU SO......look, we need a change and we need it now. I don't care if we win out and become bowl eligible, Kugler must go....

You're so wise -- nature or nurture?

Reactions: develman

Get off your High Horse you didn't tell anybody Shit!!! Miner fans were hoping they would possibly win against ODU, but knew this was the toughest remaining game. No one said Utep was gonna win out.What was basically suggested is they now have a shot at getting bowl eligible and technically still do against 4 not very good teams! Now does this change things and mean Utep is all of the sudden a Great team, by no means and change is still needed. Utep fans were simply happy that this team found a way to win last week and give us some small gleam of hope to salvage a dissappointing season. Fans are supposed to hope, that's the point of being a fan. Your no physcic and u didn't tell n e one anything we didn't know, GTFOH!

I don't think anyone is not saying to not be optimistic, but after 7 games this team is what it is. Realistically other than the Jones brothers and Plinke there isn't much here make anyone think this team caname dominate down the stretch.

Reactions: CubsFan81
The thing I understand and clearly see is this team hasn't progresses and gotten better under Kugler. Even if we win the next 4 and get bowl eligible, I think we'll get beat in a bowl badly. Beating 5 really bad teams and a D2 school isn't progress. The inner fan in me wants to believe, but the product on the field shows otherwise. Last year the excuse was injuries and we almost got to 6-6 and I would've taken that. This year, many thought the stars aligned to have a Great Season, yet they've regressed with no major injuries. I hate to say this, but maybe its better they go 4-8 so Stull is forced to make a chance, cause 6-6 just prolongs the agony. IDK, what to feel, but overall disappointment for both Men's Football and Basketball. Sucks to be a fan and watch the ship sinking with no life boats!

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I hate to say this, but maybe its better they go 4-8 so Stull is forced to make a chance, cause 6-6 just prolongs the agony.
6-6 and a bowl gives the team extra practices, a big perk bowl teams enjoy, and the team will have been to a bowl two out of the last three seasons. I'll take that agony and hope they can build something out of it for the future.

Winning the next four would be something to celebrate, but it's a tall order for this team, so you might get your wish. But one game at a time.

UTEP plays a very inconsistent FCS school Saturday. Jones will tear off a couple long ones and sit the rest of the game. From there, it's anyone's guess? It could be a blowout, it could be close (like the IW game last year), they could get drunk the night before and blow the game (like some past UTEP teams have done against FCS opponents). HBU lost 50 to 3 to WKU but WKU is head and shoulders in another league right now compared to UTEP (sad, so sad).

I don't know how Stull can not pull the plug if UTEP loses to HBU? He has to remind Kugler about his word and let him step down when the season ends. At FAU will be ugly and same Kugler called offense. No way in hell will UTEP beat Rice at Rice and UNT is not the same UNT from last year and is playing the league very tough, so that's no similarly matched game as the last two years.

Its funny but everyone has one fear after another about the future of this football team. C'mon man, lets ban together support this team and the next game and show everyone "UTEP MATTERS!!."
I for one am tired of all the bitching going on on this board...
from Hollywood ......... the basketball team will develop into high energy - high scoring team that will be crazy to watch... it will be the hardest ticket to get by January.

Let have some fun this Saturday at the game...

I will be at the North Texas game and I hope that we will be playing for a Bowl berth(6-6).

Its funny but everyone has one fear after another about the future of this football team. C'mon man, lets ban together support this team and the next game and show everyone "UTEP MATTERS!!."
from Hollywood ......... the basketball team will develop into high energy - high scoring team that will be crazy to watch... it will be the hardest ticket to get by January.

One thing I'll say is that you are consistent.

What I cant figure out is if you are being a 'STCarlos' or you are just delusional.

I don't mean to be a dikk, and maybe it's just me, but you seem outta touch, my friend.

Reactions: UTEP05

Coming from the guy that predicted UTEP to win 8 games just a few weeks ago. You were WAY off with that prediction.

It's one thing to be positive and another thing to be delusional. You fall into the delusional category.

Look I am a UTEP season ticket holder and have been to 90% of the UTEP football home games , so people can't say I am not a fan. But if UTEP makes a bowl game this year, it proves that there are way too many bowl games in college football and making bowl games is way too easy. UTSA is our "quality win" this year and that isn't saying much. We have been blown out by every team this this year with a winning record, so we would just get blown out again on national TV in our bowl game. Lets just get this year over with already. A few more practices in December isn't going to change anything with this program.

There ARE way too many Bowl games...whether the Miners make a Bowl or not! I honestly believe there are players who would rather have their season over and done with than to be practicing a couple of more weeks in December just to play another 6-6 team.

There ARE way too many Bowl games...whether the Miners make a Bowl or not! I honestly believe there are players who would rather have their season over and done with than to be practicing a couple of more weeks in December just to play another 6-6 team.

To expand on your point, as hard as it is to believe, UTEP could lose yet another game but still not be "completely" eliminated from a bowl game yet. UTEP has continued to move up in the APR rankings and the APR rankings have some type of determining factor as to which 5-7 teams get selected when there are not enough 6-6 teams to fill all of the bowl game. It's too early to tell if there will be a need for any 5-7 teams this season, but last year 3 teams were needed.

Ironically, the three 5-7 bowl teams last season went 3-0 in their bowl games.

Exposure? Maybe, who honestly watches all these pre Christmas lower tier bowls? I don't. Revenue? Even with some of the mid major bowls, it's been well documented that some teams barely break even. Sorry, but a Bowl game at 6-6, or worse, 5-7 Just doesn't excite me. It's akin to making anything less than the NIT.

Exposure? Maybe, who honestly watches all these pre Christmas lower tier bowls? I don't. Revenue? Even with some of the mid major bowls, it's been well documented that some teams barely break even. Sorry, but a Bowl game at 6-6, or worse, 5-7 Just doesn't excite me. It's akin to making anything less than the NIT.
I agree.
Exposure will be limited for any games before Dec 25. New Mexico vs. Middle Tennessee are the projected teams in the New Mexico bowl on Dec 17. Who here on this forum is actually excited about this game and will make plans in their schedule on that Saturday to watch this game???? 90% of the bowl games before Dec. 25 are as exciting as watching New Mexico vs. Middle Tennessee. The only 2 exciting projected bowl match ups before Dec 25. are Boise State vs. Arizona State in the Royal Purple Bowl and maybe KSU vs. Navy in the Armed Forces Bowl.

If 5-7 teams are making bowl games because there are not enough 6-6 teams to meet the needs, then there are waaaaay too many meaningless bowl games. Bowl games are being handed out like participation trophies nowadays.

Reactions: allminer
Here's USA Today's latest bowl projection (no UTEP). Colorado vs. Notre Dame would be a nice Sun Bowl.

11-02-BOWL-PROJECTIONS.fw.png

Reactions: UTEP05
I enjoy watching all the bowls but that's not the point. Recruits and potential recruits will certainly watch. The lowest rated bowl viewership last season was the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl with just over 1 million viewers watching Akron vs Utah St. That's worth something and UTEP or any other G5 team should take advantage of that if they can. Does not really matter if you or I are not excited about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT