ADVERTISEMENT

Being serious here, what is the 1-0 concept?

Focus on a win the next game in front of you. Do that every week and the season long or long-term will take care of themselves.

Don't look passed your next opponent and don't look back.

I think he was even referencing "winning" things a day at a time. Snyder used to always says our goal is always to get a little bit better today than we were yesterday. Coach speak, but truth in so many ways.

I noticed he didn't really mention Snyder much (don't think it ended well, but was otherwise a good relationship), but it sounded an awful lot like the same concepts.

I think he was even referencing "winning" things a day at a time. Snyder used to always says our goal is always to get a little bit better today than we were yesterday. Coach speak, but truth in so many ways.

I noticed he didn't really mention Snyder much (don't think it ended well, but was otherwise a good relationship), but it sounded an awful lot like the same concepts.

It would be remiss of Dimel to not borrow from the Wizard.

Snyder is a prime example of how good coaching can still level the playing field in cfb.

Reactions: daytripper6364

I think you KSU fans are right about him being forced out of KSU. He says that this is the first Head Coaching job that he has applied for in 15 years. But why would he want to leave KSU now for a UTEP program & city that he has no ties to, instead of staying at KSU and coaching his Son’s final college season? He talked about building a family and dependability type of atmosphere within his program, but then after coaching his Son for 4 years, he now bails on his Son before his 5th year Senior season? I think he only did that because he had no other choice than to look for a new job.

I think you KSU fans are right about him being forced out of KSU. He says that this is the first Head Coaching job that he has applied for in 15 years. But why would he want to leave KSU now for a UTEP program & city that he has no ties to, instead of staying at KSU and coaching his Son’s final college season? He talked about building a family and dependability type of atmosphere within his program, but then after coaching his Son for 4 years, he now bails on his Son before his 5th year Senior season? I think he only did that because he had no other choice than to look for a new job.

He wouldn’t be the first college coach to flap his wings harder during a duck shoot.

Oh he was definitely "influenced" out if not forced. We are pretty sure his son will declare for the draft, transfer to Oklahoma, or (smaller likelihood) even UTEP. Just know if you get him, he's getting 80% of the carries inside the 10 (though half our fan base argues that he was at least effective).

Oh he was definitely "influenced" out if not forced. We are pretty sure his son will declare for the draft, transfer to Oklahoma, or (smaller likelihood) even UTEP. Just know if you get him, he's getting 80% of the carries inside the 10 (though half our fan base argues that he was at least effective).

Well, as long as he was at least effective.

It would be remiss of Dimel to not borrow from the Wizard.

Snyder is a prime example of how good coaching can still level the playing field in cfb.
...and honestly, certain things have passed Snyder by and I wouldn't be shocked if Dimel felt constrained by Snyder's extreme conservative nature or lack of focus on recruiting compared to our peers.

Just a few years ago when his offense literally was the most efficient in the country (and beautiful to watch), KSU people were definitely putting him the realm of possible Snyder replacements but I think even now-unless he blows the doors of the hinges (9-10 win seasons a year within a few years) his KSU days are probably over.

Also, when the offense was doing so well he was a co-coordinator with Del Miller. As soon as Del retired, things went south. In some defense, we've had talented QB's made of glass the last few years and that didn't help anything.

Well, as long as he was at least effective.
Yeah there's more to it though. The obvious nepotism divided the lockeroom from what we hear. There is also one game it could have cost us this year. There are something like 30 seconds left in the half and it appears we're running out the half with 60+ yards to go (not what we're geared for in terms of 2-min. offense). Randomly after wasting time, we call a center fullback screen to his son (like he was ever going to rumble 60 yards or even the 25+ we needed for a FG. Well the pass is picked and West Virginia basically connects on a Hail Mary right after that......we lost by 5. The optics on that were terrible. Like he was trying to pad his son's stats or something.

Yeah there's more to it though. The obvious nepotism divided the lockeroom from what we hear. There is also one game it could have cost us this year. There are something like 30 seconds left in the half and it appears we're running out the half with 60+ yards to go (not what we're geared for in terms of 2-min. offense). Randomly after wasting time, we call a center fullback screen to his son (like he was ever going to rumble 60 yards or even the 25+ we needed for a FG. Well the pass is picked and West Virginia basically connects on a Hail Mary right after that......we lost by 5. The optics on that were terrible. Like he was trying to pad his son's stats or something.
Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Dimel’s son have 15 total rushing attempts the whole season???? I wouldn’t call 15 carries over 12 games nepotism. He had 4 td’s on 15 carries. Not too shabby and he is a big dude, he should be getting carries on the goal line. Your making it seem like his son was the focal point of the whole offense.

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Dimel’s son have 15 total rushing attempts the whole season???? I wouldn’t call 15 carries over 12 games nepotism. He had 4 td’s on 15 carries. Not too shabby and he is a big dude, he should be getting carries on the goal line. Your making it seem like his son was the focal point of the whole offense.
I didn't really look at the stats so you may have a point. I think last year was worse than this year. This is where the great debate has been amongst KSU fans. Winston Dimel, by all accounts, was (I say was because I think he's done at KSU) a great teammate. What rubbed fans the wrong way was how many times other players (who weigh 230 plus pounds, mind you) would do all the heavy lifting down the field and in trots Winston once we're inside the 10 lined up as our Wildcat QB. It sometimes worked, but often didn't because he was literally zero threat to throw the ball so they just stacked 9 in the box and we were stuffed. It just gave the appearance of nepotism while our other good tailbacks rarely got to take it into the end zone. I think the coaches noticed it and tucked it back this year.

The other side of the argument was that you DO give you fullback the ball when you're down near the goal line and its hard to argue he wasn't successful. Its kind of hard to explain, but the optics on it weren't good and from the sound of it the locker room became pretty divided because of it.

...and again, I reference the WVU game this year where it just seemed we were trying to pad his stats before halftime and it ultimately contributed to the loss-big time.

I didn't really look at the stats so you may have a point. I think last year was worse than this year. .
Last year he had 30 rushing attempts the whole season. 12 of those 30 rushing attempts came in blowout wins against FAU and Missouri State. Winston has 73 total rushing attempts in 3 years at KSU......so that averages out to about 2 rushing attempts per game. It is hard to pad stats with 2 rushing attempts per game.

Last year he had 30 rushing attempts the whole season. 12 of those 30 rushing attempts came in blowout wins against FAU and Missouri State. Winston has 73 total rushing attempts in 3 years at KSU......so that averages out to about 2 rushing attempts per game. It is hard to pad stats with 2 rushing attempts per game.
Yep. It had mostly to do with where he got those carries and KSU not sharing the rock when anyone of our 4 talented RB's could have gotten a TD.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT