ADVERTISEMENT

C-USA: Whom to root for from here

MinerManiac

MI Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2001
I, personally, am in a bit of a quandary. One thing is clear to me: I believe that MTSU belongs in the NCAA Tournament, and I really want to see them there. That, in itself, should easily decide how I want the rest of the C-USA Tournament to go: I should root for MTSU to win tomorrow.

However, it's not so easy for me. There have been some on this board who have argued over the past couple of years that the regular season does not matter, that C-USA is a one bid league no matter what, and that all that matters is the C-USA Tournament. I have argued the other way: that it is definitely possible to earn an at large by playing well against a strong OOC schedule, and winning the conference crown while avoiding bad losses, despite how weak this league is.

No team has truly been able to accomplish the above since these arguments have been made. ODU played great OOC a few years ago, but didn't play near as well in conference. Others have dominated the conference, but lacked the signature OOC wins. With the exception of the loss to us, which is only a bad loss on paper, MTSU has done exactly what they needed to do in order to deserve an at large bid. There is definitely a part of me that hopes that La Tech wins tomorrow, to see if the committee appropriately awards MTSU a Tournament bid.

Now I know that there are some on here that will say that they don't care, that they only follow UTEP athletics and couldn't care less about anyone else, including our conference mates. This, however, is short sighted. A win by a member of our conference in the NCAA Tournament does help UTEP, both financially, and by raising, if ever so slightly, the perception of the conference in which we play. An at large bid by one of our conference mates demonstrates that a single bad game in the conference tournament need not be fatal, and encourages our staff to play a strong OOC schedule whenever they are expecting a strong team.

I'm interested in reading the opinion of everyone else on this issue: are you cheering for MTSU to win tomorrow and receive the auto bid, or would prefer to see them lose to see if an at large is forthcoming? As always, Sunday will be interesting. I just hope that it's not too frustrating.

I think Middle Tennesee is a lock to get in whether they win tomorrow or not, but you never know and stranger things have happened. I actually want to see LA Tech to win to see two teams get in and to actually see the proof that CUSA gets an at large bid.

I am with you I want la tech to win a squeaker and roll the dice for two bids which will give us more to root for come tournament time

I am going for Marshall to win CUSA and MTSU for a #11 bid. MTSU will get in, everyone is pretty much locked on that it just mattered how they faired in the CUSA tourney. They made the CUSA finals so if they lose to Marshall, I see them falling to #8 to #11 seed. Marshall wins CUSA, their RPI is not as bad as I thought and may get a #14.

I am going for Marshall to win CUSA and MTSU for a #11 bid. MTSU will get in, everyone is pretty much locked on that it just mattered how they faired in the CUSA tourney. They made the CUSA finals so if they lose to Marshall, I see them falling to #8 to #11 seed. Marshall wins CUSA, their RPI is not as bad as I thought and may get a #14.

I don't think they would be an 8 seed if they won the tournament.

Assuming Marshall pulls out the upset how do you see the seeding playing out?

I think Marshall would get a 16 and MTSU 14.

Assuming that scenario, I'd guess 15 and 12.

I don't see Marshall having a chance against MT, though. MT is really solid, imo.

I could see MT climbing up to 10 with a win.

I would say Marshall gets a 14/15 seed and Middle Tennessee gets a 13/14 seed. Middle Tennessee is projected to be a 11 seed right now.

U

U really must not follow or know College Basketball if you think they'd get a 15 seed lmao. #16 seeds are reserved for the smaller conf worse teams, no team from CUSA has or will ever get a #16 seed unless they had a losing record.

Reactions: mikesarabia
U

U really must not follow or know College Basketball if you think they'd get a 15 seed lmao. #16 seeds are reserved for the smaller conf worse teams, no team from CUSA has or will ever get a #16 seed unless they had a losing record.
You got that right. IF UTEP isn't playing I'm really not that interested in college basketball. I'll watch a conference mate play but don't care too much for the rest of the tournament.

The reason why I said Marshall would receive a 16 seed is due to the previous season NCAA seeding for CUSA. MT finished 24-9 with an RPI of 78 in the 23rd rated league and received a 15 seed. Using the RPI forecast wizard Marshall with a victory tomorrow would finish 22-14 with an RPI of "90" in the 24th rated league.

Since the committee might be upset at having to give CUSA two bids and comparing last years autobid to Marshall's potential autobid that is how I arrived the conclusion of them receiving the 16 seed. I hope they give CUSA some respect and put them at 15.

Nattybry is correct. If Marshall wins they would get no worse than a 15 seed. With Middle Tennessee's record and conference showing plus last year's upset of Michigan St, I would think they would be a lock. Problem is because CUSA is considered a one bid league, Middle Tennessee does not want to leave this to fate, so they will feel they have to win.

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
The real joke is that Vandy will get seeded higher than MTSU. MTSU destroyed them by over 20 points. Vandy couldn't win a game out of conference to save their life and just because they play decently in a vastly overrated SEC they are considered the better team? Just doesn't make sense. What will make sense is that Vandy will be eliminated in the first round, and one won't be doing any favors by making MTSU a high seed because they will just knock off another supposedly top tier team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT