ADVERTISEMENT

Can Dana Dimel be the Barry Alvarez of UTEP?

The only way for UTEP to win is go to a hurry up offense with a bunch of different looks.They did to confuse the defense cause we are not going to have better athletes.

Maybe not. But we should have athletes at least equal to those of our conference mates. With all things on the field being near equal, coaching has got to stand out. But, I’m convinced we have about the worst D1 coach ever to step on the sidelines.

Maybe a high octane, hurry up offense would work. With another coach. Can you imagine how fast our defense would be back on the field every series with a Dimel coached hurry up offense?

Maybe a high octane, hurry up offense would work. With another coach. Can you imagine how fast our defense would be back on the field every series with a Dimel coached hurry up offense?
That's the problem, even with a good hurry-up offense. The defense rarely has time to rest. Score quickly, and the defense is back out on the field. 3-and-out, and the defense is back out on the field.

IMO having a short season could benefit Dimel. If we go to one ooc game and the 8 conference games there’s a chance for a not so bad looking year. If it’s nmsu and the 8 conference games we played last season a 4-5 season isn’t a out of the world request.
If this team wins 4 games this year then Dimel will get a 4th season and there could be reason for optimism. To win 4 games he will have to have laid a solid foundation that is beginning to come of age. We will see. I know we don't have reason for optimism yet but we would if we have 4 wins this season.

Reactions: JCorona
That's the problem, even with a good hurry-up offense. The defense rarely has time to rest. Score quickly, and the defense is back out on the field. 3-and-out, and the defense is back out on the field.

Agreed. Except magnified with Dimel running a hurry up. The three and outs would increase drastically just based upon increased opportunity.

Might increase point production...a tad, but also increases opponent point production potential as well.

Bottom line...Dimel is in over his head. He’s a terrible head coach and he has already shown his full hand.

That’s true, but our defense is constantly on the field with Dimels offense, which doesn’t score.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Still no bowl win since 1967.
It took the aggies 57 years to end that drought. It will probably take us around the same time, maybe a few years longer. It didn’t do anything for them. The Sun Belt still kicked them out.

It took the aggies 57 years to end that drought. It will probably take us around the same time, maybe a few years longer. It didn’t do anything for them. The Sun Belt still kicked them out.

I hope so!!

The Sun Belt already kicked them out before the season. It seems like they are doing fine being Independent and have no problems scheduling games.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I hope so!!

The Sun Belt already kicked them out before the season. It seems like they are doing fine being Independent and have no problems scheduling games.
It doesn’t seem like they are doing fine and have no problems scheduling games. Let’s look at the facts.

During the first two years of independent they had to play Liberty twice in the same season. That’s such a common occurrence that it was the first time in history that two FBS teams met twice during the regular season. I’m sure that was done on purpose to make history and not because both independent teams were having trouble finding opponents. Right?

During their first three years of independent status their bottom half of the schedule only consists of one FBS home game. During the last six games of the year they host one FBS team and one FCS team. I’m sure there’s some strategy to that and not because they’re having trouble finding games during the second half of the season when 99% of teams are in conference play.

You’re right AB everything is fine and dandy as an independent. I’m sure Moccia told you that during your zoom meeting where he thanked you for your generous donation to the aggies athletic department.

It doesn’t seem like they are doing fine and have no problems scheduling games. Let’s look at the facts.

During the first two years of independent they had to play Liberty twice in the same season. That’s such a common occurrence that it was the first time in history that two FBS teams met twice during the regular season. I’m sure that was done on purpose to make history and not because both independent teams were having trouble finding opponents. Right?

During their first three years of independent status their bottom half of the schedule only consists of one FBS home game. During the last six games of the year they host one FBS team and one FCS team. I’m sure there’s some strategy to that and not because they’re having trouble finding games during the second half of the season when 99% of teams are in conference play.

You’re right AB everything is fine and dandy as an independent. I’m sure Moccia told you that during your zoom meeting where he thanked you for your generous donation to the aggies athletic department.

I don't analyze NMSU's schedule like you do. I looked at this year's schedule and they are playing 0 FCS teams. All I am saying is they have teams lining up to play them until 2029.

I don't analyze NMSU's schedule like you do. I looked at this year's schedule and they are playing 0 FCS teams. All I am saying is they have teams lining up to play them until 2029.
Well then don’t make uneducated comments like they have “no problems scheduling.” By the way Texas Southern, the senior night game, is an fcs team.

Well then don’t make uneducated comments like they have “no problems scheduling.” By the way Texas Southern, the senior night game, is an fcs team.

Ok, one FCS. Pretty standard for all teams.

Again, they don't have problems scheduling because they have future schedules all the way up until 2029.

Ok, one FCS. Pretty standard for all teams.

Again, they don't have problems scheduling because they have future schedules all the way up until 2029.
Again they do because they only have one FBS team in the last six games of the season. We have three as almost everyone else in a conference. They do because they had to ask UTEP for a favor to move our game to November. If we would have said no, they would have played zero FBS teams at home during the last six games of the year. For a team with no schedule problems they sure do seem to have a lot of obvious problems that anyone with common sense can see.

Again they do because they only have one FBS team in the last six games of the season. We have three as almost everyone else in a conference. They do because they had to ask UTEP for a favor to move our game to November. If we would have said no, they would have played zero FBS teams at home during the last six games of the year. For a team with no schedule problems they sure do seem to have a lot of obvious problems that anyone with common sense can see.

They are playing 4/5 FBS teams at home this season and 4/5 in 2021.

They are having to play at leasr 2 money games per year. I guess you just do what you have to do to survive. In 2021 they play Hawaii twice. In 2022 they play 3 money games and looks like 4 road games in a row. That kind of says that scheduling is hard but to keep things going you just bend over and take it.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
They are having to play at leasr 2 money games per year. I guess you just do what you have to do to survive. In 2021 they play Hawaii twice. In 2022 they play 3 money games and looks like 4 road games in a row. That kind of says that scheduling is hard but to keep things going you just bend over and take.

And having money games is a bad thing? All I said was they have no problems with scheduling teams.

Who cares if they play Hawaii twice? What's your point?

I really don't count UTEP as a road game and there is a bye week in between, so not really 4 road games in a row.

That's what Independent teams do. I never disputed that. All I said was they have no problems scheduling teams.

. That kind of says that scheduling is hard but to keep things going you just bend over and take it.
Don't forget Sunland Park Racetrack & BYMP (Blow Your Mortgage Payment).

GlumAptLamprey-size_restricted.gif

We can argue till we’re blue in the face about NMSUs schedule and “problems”. Here are facts:
UTEP has lost 3 straight to them
They won a bowl game recently
If you’re a losing program, it doesn’t matter what conference you’re in or who you’re playing in November. You end up in the same place.

Some on here can talk about how great UTEP is and how NMSU sucks, but they’re the ones winning conference championships, going to the NCAA tournament and kicking our ass on a regular basis. Being in the WAC/Independent might be a downgrade to CUSA according to some, but what does that say about UTEP, since we can’t even beat them?

We can argue till we’re blue in the face about NMSUs schedule and “problems”. Here are facts:
If you’re a losing program, it doesn’t matter what conference you’re in or who you’re playing in November. You end up in the same place.

Some on here can talk about how great UTEP is and how NMSU sucks, but they’re the ones winning conference championships, going to the NCAA tournament and kicking our ass on a regular basis. Being in the WAC/Independent might be a downgrade to CUSA according to some, but what does that say about UTEP, since we can’t even beat them?
To me it says our AD and Prez need to put a lot of pressure on coaches to succeed. If Dimel doesn't have a much improved team this year and still is allowed a 4th year, the prez should fire the AD. We will find out after this fb season, if there is one, if our new prez, who did not hire Senter, is the real deal and will not accept mediocracy and worse.

On the topic of NMSU; they have their biggest money game of the year exactly 4 months from tomorrow. If that game does not happen, then they will lose roughly 10% of their entire athletic department budget for the year.

If games get cancelled, it's going to hurt every school at some level, but they will be one of the first one's to feel the impact.

On the topic of NMSU; they have their biggest money game of the year exactly 4 months from tomorrow. If that game does not happen, then they will lose roughly 10% of their entire athletic department budget for the year.

If games get cancelled, it's going to hurt every school at some level, but they will be one of the first one's to feel the impact.
Not going to happen for NMSU. Take the loss in revenue. Maybe, maybe a vaccine by September but in the U.K., however, Boris and the boys are saying don't bet on it.

Vaccine or treatment by November is more realistic and that is coming off a "second wave" top american scientists are saying and especially since governments are allowing partial openings that mean "pachanga" time for most.

To me it says our AD and Prez need to put a lot of pressure on coaches to succeed. If Dimel doesn't have a much improved team this year and still is allowed a 4th year, the prez should fire the AD. We will find out after this fb season, if there is one, if our new prez, who did not hire Senter, is the real deal and will not accept mediocracy and worse.
Same goes for basketball. I want to see momentum, not drama, poor coaching and what ifs all the time.

And having money games is a bad thing? All I said was they have no problems with scheduling teams.

Who cares if they play Hawaii twice? What's your point?

I really don't count UTEP as a road game and there is a bye week in between, so not really 4 road games in a row.

That's what Independent teams do. I never disputed that. All I said was they have no problems scheduling teams.
This is so dumb. Are you really that dumb? F*ck. If they have no problems scheduling teams, then why do they play the same team twice in a season. Why do they only have four home FBS games per season? Why do they only play one FBS home game in the last six games of the year? Get over it you’re wrong. NMSU is having problems scheduling teams.

Reactions: Lil_Train

@ then. Who says UTEP is great and NMSU sucks? The only ones that think like that are you and AB when you go into what you think is funny sarcastic mode.

Here are the facts.
NMSU football sucks
UTEP football sucks

UTEP basketball sucks
NMSU basketball doesn’t

cusa sucks
independent sucks more

Not going to happen for NMSU. Take the loss in revenue. Maybe, maybe a vaccine by September but in the U.K., however, Boris and the boys are saying don't bet on it.

Vaccine or treatment by November is more realistic and that is coming off a "second wave" top american scientists are saying and especially since governments are allowing partial openings that mean "pachanga" time for most.
If either the UK or USA come up with vaccine first, sharing will happen.

@ then. Who says UTEP is great and NMSU sucks? The only ones that think like that are you and AB when you go into what you think is funny sarcastic mode.

Here are the facts.
NMSU football sucks
UTEP football sucks

UTEP basketball sucks
NMSU basketball doesn’t

cusa sucks
independent sucks more

I don’t have specific examples, but I constantly see stuff like, “NMSU sucks”, “At least we’re not NMSU”, “the WAC sucks”, “Las Cruces sucks”, “LOL NMSU is losing to Alabama 56-0”.

If UTEP could become the 12 basketball school in the MWC and could get a scheduling agreement in football for at least 4 MWC games per season, that would be an improvement an a viable option. For the MWC side, they would not be paying UTEP a full share of media money and it gives them more regional games which would be beneficial to all in the hard times ahead.

If UTEP could become the 12 basketball school in the MWC and could get a scheduling agreement in football for at least 4 MWC games per season, that would be an improvement an a viable option. For the MWC side, they would not be paying UTEP a full share of media money and it gives them more regional games which would be beneficial to all in the hard times ahead.

Let’s just say for the sake of argument that your scenario is possible. Last year the MWC was close to adding Gonzaga as their 12th basketball school. So now the Presidents/ADs are going to replace a national power with a school with 3 Tournament appearances the last 28 years and no wins???? Why would any competent administrator do that?

Let’s just say for the sake of argument that your scenario is possible. Last year the MWC was close to adding Gonzaga as their 12th basketball school. So now the Presidents/ADs are going to replace a national power with a school with 3 Tournament appearances the last 28 years and no wins???? Why would any competent administrator do that?
I'm not saying it's likely but wouldn't you want your AD to push for something like that? And UTEP would not be replacing Gonzaga because they said no to the MWC. His selling points would be UTEP's rich basketball history, excellent attendance during the good times, history with most MWC schools, more regional games for the east division of the MWC, a basketball budget that matches up well with that conference and finally something that appeals to university presidents in these associations, UTEP is a tier 1 research university.

UTEP's 2 home football games in the MWC agreement would be late in the season. UTEP's FB schedule would have 4 MWC games, the NMSU annual game and our annual money game. Not too difficult to schedule the rest around that.

Reactions: axingfools1
UTEPs window for the MWC has unfortunately closed. It would take a decade of consistent winning, a stroke of blind luck or a boat load of random money to change anything now.

We had our best shot from 2000-2010 and Stull blew the opportunities to snowball any success. The last decade of UTEP athletics has dug the hole too deep.

I'm not saying it's likely but wouldn't you want your AD to push for something like that? And UTEP would not be replacing Gonzaga because they said no to the MWC. His selling points would be UTEP's rich basketball history, excellent attendance during the good times, history with most MWC schools, more regional games for the east division of the MWC, a basketball budget that matches up well with that conference and finally something that appeals to university presidents in these associations, UTEP is a tier 1 research university.

UTEP's 2 home football games in the MWC agreement would be late in the season. UTEP's FB schedule would have 4 MWC games, the NMSU annual game and our annual money game. Not too difficult to schedule the rest around that.

No, I would not want Senter to push for this. As it is unrealistic at this point in time. If you had a C - student, would you encourage them to fill out applications to Harvard, Stanford, and RPI? They should be filling out applications to EPCC and UTEP.

Gonzaga only turned them down because the WCC made concessions to keep them there. None of the stuff you listed, really matters. The MWC and other better conferences will only add programs that bring something to the conference. UTEP brings zero to the MWC.

Until UTEP consistently wins CUSA titles in basketball and football, the MWC will not want them and rightfully so. Things could change because of the Corona, but having Senter begging for MWC entrance would have been wasted time. Senter should concentrate making his teams better and not pissing off the few fans that continue supporting his programs.

This is so dumb. Are you really that dumb? F*ck. If they have no problems scheduling teams, then why do they play the same team twice in a season. Why do they only have four home FBS games per season? Why do they only play one FBS home game in the last six games of the year? Get over it you’re wrong. NMSU is having problems scheduling teams.

Because they can. I am sure the players are happy about that.

Again, they have teams lined up until 2029.

Not going to go back and forth with you on this anymore because I stated all the facts and you don't want to believe facts. You stated your opinions and I accepted them.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Because they can. I am sure the players are happy about that.

Again, they have teams lined up until 2029.

Not going to go back and forth with you on this anymore because I stated all the facts and you don't want to believe facts. You stated your opinions and I accepted them.
You stated opinions “Because they can” “I’m sure the players are happy about that.” I stated overwhelming evidence showing proof of the difficulty they’re having scheduling teams. For the record they have one team lined up until 2029. Not even UTEP has agreed to a series with them that far out.

You stated opinions “Because they can” “I’m sure the players are happy about that.” I stated overwhelming evidence showing proof of the difficulty they’re having scheduling teams. For the record they have one team lined up until 2029. Not even UTEP has agreed to a series with them that far out.

Here's the proof. I am not going to go back and forth about proof. There was no overwhelming evidence that they're having difficult scheduling teams. From 2021-2024 alone they have 40 games scheduled.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/new-mexico-state/

Here's the proof. I am not going to go back and forth about proof. There was no overwhelming evidence that they're having difficult scheduling teams. From 2021-2024 alone they have 40 games scheduled.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/new-mexico-state/

Just because they’ve scheduled games doesn’t mean it didn’t come with difficulties. A man working minimum wage will have more difficulty saving $10,000 than someone making 60k a year.

The overwhelming evidence

*The number of buy games per season
*The home and away in the same season with teams thousands of miles away from them
*Only four fbs home games per season
*Only two home games in the last six weeks of the games and only one of them an fbs opponent
*Asking UTEP to move game from September to November

All those facts show that it wasn’t a walk in the park to complete the schedule. Yes it was completed but it wasn’t as easy as you make it out to be.

Moccia: “When you have to play three buy games and they are right off the bat against Washington State and Alabama, that 100 percent goes into my thinking about how I evaluate things. When Aggie football ascends to a level where we don't have to do that and can schedule like our direct competitors, then I might start looking at the football program through a more critical lens. But since I don't have the luxury of doing that, then that is the lens that I'm going to use in judging our football program.”

I honestly don’t care anymore, think whatever you want.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT