ADVERTISEMENT

Can we finally talk about the recruiting class?

jdubb66

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2009
With the ugliness of the last couple of days behind us, I think it's time we examined the class as a whole since it was overlooked at the press conference that was supposed to address it 2 days ago.

I mentioned on another post that this recruiting class signaled a departure from previous years and here's why. In year's past, CTF and co. "reached" on players with basketball talent but that where questionable in their academics and perhaps their agendas. The list goes on and on, no need to rehash here. This class, the staff is "reaching" on kids with solid character's, solid academics and outstanding athleticism, who might need more time to develop physically and technically than some recruits we had reached on before.

If I were to compare this class to any previous classes, I would compare it to Barbee's class which included Culpepper, Stone, McCulley and later Moultrie. I think that was a combined 10 stars between them, but that class became the nucleus of what would be one of the better teams we've have in the last 10 years.

This is more along the lines of what Kugler is doing in football and a move that some of us have been calling for. Hopefully it will prove successful. I'd rather give young guys a chance that have something to prove than to a bunch of premadonna's that believe they should be in the NBA already.

These young men should understand that they need time to develop their skills and bodies to be better able to compete with some so called 5 star recruits. Just look at what Winn did last year. If we were to evaluate incoming freshmen from 2015, Winn would be one of the top freshmen in the nation. All he needed was an extra couple of years of development.

This in my mind is how you build a winning mid-major program today. Let everybody else have the highly rated recruits. We need to rate our kids on a different scale.

This has been coaches biggest of his many public failings, gambling on the wrong types of kids. I hope he's got it figured out.

I like this class. I think Kelvin Jones is the center we have been lacking the past 5 years. We need a big man who is aggressive and isn't afraid to throw his weight around, and an aggressive finisher around the rim, and it looks like Kelvin brings all of these. He had a year to sit out and observe, like Winn did. If he can at least be a great rebounder next year, we will do some damage in CUSA.
Moore was a good get and should get a lot of playing time once CUSA play rolls around.
Cameron and that other PG from Texas should be decent backups.
I think Silva will benefit from a red shirt and isn't ready yet.
Overall this years class looks solid and they look to be good players for years to come.

With the ugliness of the last couple of days behind us, I think it's time we examined the class as a whole since it was overlooked at the press conference that was supposed to address it 2 days ago.

I mentioned on another post that this recruiting class signaled a departure from previous years and here's why. In year's past, CTF and co. "reached" on players with basketball talent but that where questionable in their academics and perhaps their agendas. The list goes on and on, no need to rehash here. This class, the staff is "reaching" on kids with solid character's, solid academics and outstanding athleticism, who might need more time to develop physically and technically than some recruits we had reached on before.

If I were to compare this class to any previous classes, I would compare it to Barbee's class which included Culpepper, Stone, McCulley and later Moultrie. I think that was a combined 10 stars between them, but that class became the nucleus of what would be one of the better teams we've have in the last 10 years.

This is more along the lines of what Kugler is doing in football and a move that some of us have been calling for. Hopefully it will prove successful. I'd rather give young guys a chance that have something to prove than to a bunch of premadonna's that believe they should be in the NBA already.

These young men should understand that they need time to develop their skills and bodies to be better able to compete with some so called 5 star recruits. Just look at what Winn did last year. If we were to evaluate incoming freshmen from 2015, Winn would be one of the top freshmen in the nation. All he needed was an extra couple of years of development.

This in my mind is how you build a winning mid-major program today. Let everybody else have the highly rated recruits. We need to rate our kids on a different scale.

This has been coaches biggest of his many public failings, gambling on the wrong types of kids. I hope he's got it figured out.

I admire your optimism at this point in Floyd's tenure. You've set a high bar comparing this class to Culpepper, Stone, McCulley and Moultrie.

Reactions: develman
I think silva needs to redshirt by does anyone see him red shirting???

We don't know how Wilms will be, and kelvin jones seems very aggressive which leads me to think he will be very foul prone as a freshman which would lead us to just possibly having Wynn like last year which won't work... Am I missing anyone? I guess Paul Thomas

I think silva needs to redshirt by does anyone see him red shirting???

We don't know how Wilms will be, and kelvin jones seems very aggressive which leads me to think he will be very foul prone as a freshman which would lead us to just possibly having Wynn like last year which won't work... Am I missing anyone? I guess Paul Thomas

I said in a previous post that I think he'll start out redshirting. Depending on how Willms holds up, that may change sometime during the season, though.

I thought that one of the few interesting things that came out of the ambush, was when Floyd mentioned that all 13 rides have been allocated. By my count, I thought we were at 12. I assume one of the walk-ons from last year (Venegas?) was offered the last scholarship. However, based on what Floyd also mentioned about still recruiting a 6'5" - 6'6" perimeter shooter, that must be a "soft" offer. I mention this because that spot, specifically, is a glaring weak spot on next year's team. To me, Flaggert is essentially equivalent of Hooper in terms of what he brings to the SF position. Any positives that Flags brings to the offensive end (only spot up shooting, at best), are countered by his deficiencies on the defensive end. Maybe Thomas can evolve into that spot as his game seems more geared towards a SF than that of a PF.

Artis
Touchet
Flags
Cameron
Barrett
Moore
Barnes
Thomas
Winn
Willms
Jones
Silva

And it sounded to me like Omega retained his schollie. That would be 13.

Good catch on that Coog. I wasn't counting Omega. So now I am wondering who leaves if by some miracle we are able to find someone to contribute immediately at that spot. I don't really see someone on the current roster to fill that role effectively.

Good catch on that Coog. I wasn't counting Omega. So now I am wondering who leaves if by some miracle we are able to find someone to contribute immediately at that spot. I don't really see someone on the current roster to fill that role effectively.

Draw straws?

Yeah, I agree in that we don't have a strong traditional 3...unless Thomas can live up to that 4 star rating he carried with him through HS. I saw what I thought were glimpses of potential in him, especially offensively. I also think that we will go with a 3 guard line-up much of the time where Moore and Cameron will occupy the so-called 3 spot some. Obviously just my guess.

Yeah, I agree in that we don't have a strong traditional 3...unless Thomas can live up to that 4 star rating he carried with him through HS. I saw what I thought were glimpses of potential in him, especially offensively. I also think that we will go with a 3 guard line-up much of the time where Moore and Cameron will occupy the so-called 3 spot some. Obviously just my guess.
Agree Coog. I think it is would be great to have someone step up who could get his own shot on offense (or get fouled), and defend the SF at the other end. I thought Moore and Morris filled that role nicely this year, at least on the offensive end. It is tough relying on true freshman at any position. This is a tremendous opportunity for Thomas, IMO.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Draw straws?

C'mon uni! I know a lot of us are down on CTF, and for good reason imo. However, I'll go on record right now and say we will be no worse than we were this last year, and I think we'll be better as a team. Chemistry sucked last year, and it noticeably affected team play at times.

I think we'll be better at the 4 and 5 with guards able to get them the ball. Interior defense will be much better. I think it'll be a wash at the point and off guard spots, maybe a small step down, and we obviously won't be quite as deep as we were last year at those positions. I am hoping PT can step it up at the 3. Omega played well as a true freshman and I don't think it's out of the question that Moore and Cameron can do the same thing. Touchet will be noticeably better is my guess, and a very capable backup to either the 1 or 2. At least this is what I tell myself everyday!

C'mon uni! I know a lot of us are down on CTF, and for good reason imo. However, I'll go on record right now and say we will be no worse than we were this last year, and I think we'll be better as a team. Chemistry sucked last year, and it noticeably affected team play at times.

I think we'll be better at the 4 and 5 with guards able to get them the ball. Interior defense will be much better. I think it'll be a wash at the point and off guard spots, maybe a small step down, and we obviously won't be quite as deep as we were last year at those positions. I am hoping PT can step it up at the 3. Omega played well as a true freshman and I don't think it's out of the question that Moore and Cameron can do the same thing. Touchet will be noticeably better is my guess, and a very capable backup to either the 1 or 2. At least this is what I tell myself everyday!

Thanks -- I needed that.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I admire your optimism at this point in Floyd's tenure. You've set a high bar comparing this class to Culpepper, Stone, McCulley and Moultrie.
Set the Bar high?...Why........ Those guys were not heavily recruited either and were maybe rated 2-3 stars when they came to UTEP....

Floyd seems to do his best work when his back is against the wall, I expect him to play everybody and not redshirt anyone.

10 Lil_Train, Yesterday at 6:45 PM

Willms is graduating this week so maybe that opens up a spot if need be.

Reactions: CubsFan81
Artis
Touchet
Flags
Cameron
Barrett
Moore
Barnes
Thomas
Winn
Willms
Jones
Silva

And it sounded to me like Omega retained his schollie. That would be 13.

I saw a social media post of Omega who was all smiles after what I presumes were final exams (week). I would bet that he kept his scholarship.

I just don't see what Floyd addressed at the presser of the immediate areas of concern? I don't see rebounding improving, as a matter of fact I see that still falling a lot on guards like Artis (who is a solid rebounding guard due to his upper body strength) and Omega. I do see Winn having a monster year. If he gets a mid range game together within the next two years he will be on a lot of NBA radars. Touchet will need to improve his perimeter D, Omega as well, if UTEP wants to contend. Upside for Touchet is his fearless attitude when taking it up against the trees.

I think that we will be a better team.
For some reason I also have a hunch that the new recruits
are going to stick around and work as a team.

Go Miners...
I agree. Also all the first year players to the system have one season under their belts.

How can we not be a better rebounding team? I actually be much better but that's just me

Well, it seems like a lot of people here are asking a lot out of freshmen, a player who can't stay healthy, and a handful of role players next year. It's not impossible I guess that everything comes together, but I'm not going going to expect it.

How can we not be a better rebounding team? I actually be much better but that's just me
I was speaking to the son of a friend of mine who met KJ when he first got to UTEP and he told me that he looks great!! Dropped fat and has put on muscle. He said he was a very determined and tenacious person, dedicated to getting better in all facets. And a nice "dude"! :cool:

That's what I was hoping for!! I want a center that is ready to rip down the basket every time he touches it

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT