ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte @ UTEP Prediction Thread

Dec 22, 2016
The Battle of the Pick Axe. Sooo exciting.

UTEP has a chance to compete and keep it close, but yeah.....

Offense looks good at times, but still has their share of the usual three-and-outs, but our defense is NSFW.

Charlotte 27 UTEP 16

I hope we can finally win a game, I might actually show up this week.

In other fútbol news, the El Paso Locomotive will play at Real Monarchs in the Western Conference Finals at 1:00 PM on ESPN Plus. I'll be watching that game instead.

The Hardison debut is supposed to happen and he keeps his redshirt. If he performs well, Coach Dimel will have some explaining to do and the Senter/Dimel narrative as to why this season went south will have holes in it.

Wonder if we will see Hankins?

UTEP 24
Charlotte 39

UTEP has been making the scores closer than they actually are.

Crowd will be small and dead

Hopefully it is the Goodwin and not Hardison debut on Saturday.
Goodwin ain't gonna play this year, heard from staffers that Goodwin is too skinny and they don't want him taking hits just yet. He will be the weight room all off season.

The Hardison debut is supposed to happen and he keeps his redshirt. If he performs well, Coach Dimel will have some explaining to do and the Senter/Dimel narrative as to why this season went south will have holes in it.
The explanation would be simple: planning for the future. It's basically Nord's 5 year plan, which did indeed build up the talent level of the program.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
If Kai starts

UTEP 21
Charlotte 34

if Hardison starts

UTEP 10 (garbage time td by Kai)
Charlotte 35

Hardison also arrived on campus like a month before the season started. Even if he turns out to be decent in November, it doesn't mean that he would have been decent in September/October when he was brand new to everything.

My biggest fear about Hardison is that he is just the normal "back-up QB is the fan favorite" syndrome. Since in our case, we already see the back-up QB play all the time(Kai and Jones), then instead of the back-up being the fan favorite, everybody instead thinks the new 3rd stringer(who nobody has seen play in an actual game) becomes the fan favorite.

I sincerely hope that Hardison shows promise and that his play gives us hope for the future, but I think that our problems right now are much bigger than only the QB.

BTW, can the official UTEP website get it's act together. It still officially reports that Hardison, Hankins, and Goodwin all played in the FIU game. It shows that all 3 have already used 1 of their 4 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
Charlotte-31
UTEP- 20

Close, but still find a way to lose. I am thinking Dimel keeps Kai in way too long, finally lets Hardison play in late 2nd half. When it's clearly too late...

Hardison also arrived on campus like a month before the season started. Even if he turns out to be decent in November, it doesn't mean that he would have been decent in September/October when he was brand new to everything.
My biggest fear about Hardison is that he is just the normal "back-up QB is the fan favorite" syndrome. Since in our case, we already see the back-up QB play all the time(Kai and Jones), then instead of the back-up being the fan favorite, everybody instead thinks the new 3rd stringer(who nobody has seen him play an actual game) becomes the fan favorite.

I sincerely hope that Hardison shows promise and that his play gives us hope for the future, but I think that our problems right now are much bigger than only the QB.

BTW, can the official UTEP website get it's act together. It still officially reports that Hardison, Hankins, and Goodwin all played in the FIU game. It shows that all 3 have already used 1 of their 4 games.
I’m more afraid of the shitty stats Hardison put up in JC against inferior competition. If Kai’s good stats didn’t translate to the FBS level I really don’t want to see how the offense will look under someone who couldn’t sniff those kind of numbers at the lower division.

Dismel is in a lose-lose situation. If Hardison is good and looks competent, we will wonder why he held back on him for 2/3 of the season and be pissed about it. If Hardison sucks, then what the hell are they going to do for next season and fans will be pissed.

Miners 30 - Niners 28.

I want to see Hardison but waaay more excited about Goodwin. Really hope to see the younger guys out there Saturday.

The only way Dimel survives is to recruit his way out of this mess. I haven't seen an impact in recruiting yet. Next season he will have 2 classes in the field and one on deck.

Reactions: axingfools1
UTEP - 20
Charlotte -34

Kai, Jones, Harrison, Goodwin. It doesn’t matter who’s back there because the line has been awful with their blocking. If Harrison or Goodwin get in the game I hope they are brave enough to stand in the pocket and throw a solid pass knowing they’re going to get hit.

I’m more afraid of the shitty stats Hardison put up in JC against inferior competition. If Kai’s good stats didn’t translate to the FBS level I really don’t want to see how the offense will look under someone who couldn’t sniff those kind of numbers at the lower division.
Hardison wasn't even the number one qb on the nmmi team last year. Not sure if had injuries or just wasn't as good as his competition. Anyway, that was not a good nmmi team but if you look at his stats from Hobbs High school, he looks like a phenom. It will be interesting to see how he does if he gets a chance to play. He isn't playing on a good team now either. Maybe next year.

The explanation would be simple: planning for the future. It's basically Nord's 5 year plan, which did indeed build up the talent level of the program.
Yes, I agree. But Dimel stated he would play the best players. Hardison has a waaaaaaaaaaaaay better arm than KL and Jones. But oh well. Redshirt saved.

Hardison has a waaaaaaaaaaaaay better arm than KL and Jones. But oh well. Redshirt saved.

A waaaaaay better arm. That's great to hear! What Hardison games have you actually watched him play?

Hardison only played 3 JC games where he threw more than 1 pass attempt. He also only had 1 JC game where he threw more TD's than Interceptions. Yet people think that he would have magically adjusted to D1 football better/faster than the poor way that he adjusted to JC football????

Look, I really want to like the kid and hope that he does well long term, but there seems to be some false hope out there that he is this QB savior that could have saved our season had he only been playing.

Last edited:
A waaaaaay better arm. That's great to hear! What Hardison games have you actually watched him play?

Hardison only played 3 JC games where he threw more than 1 pass attempt. He also only had 1 JC game where he threw more TD's than Interceptions. Yet people think that he would have magically adjusted to D1 football better/faster than the poor way that he adjusted to JC football????

Look, I really want to like the kid and hope that he does well long term, but there seems to be some false hope out there that he is this QB savior that could have saved our season had he only been playing.
I just said great arm. Nothing about his decision making when the pocket collapses, his speed, knowledge of the game, etc.. KL is more athletic than he is.

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/gavin-hardison/v__i3ZhGEeOzMAAmVebBJg/football/stats.htm

He threw for more almost nine thousand yard his junior and senior year. I think he has some talent. CUSA has been getting toasted by a kid from a tiny small town in Oklahoma and he burnt UTEP last Saturday. Fine had only one FBS offer from UNT. I say start him Dimel (Yes, I know he will not).
Quit trying to get our hopes up. Dimel needs to finds a stud graduate transfer or we’re looking at another 1-11 season next year.

I question if Hardison is really anything good or the latest backup QB who people build up thinking they can't be any worse then gets put in and proves why they've been the backup

Reactions: UTEPDefense
I saw Hardison in High School at Hobbs. Their former coach, Charles Gleghorn is a friend of mine. When Gleghorn was at Hatch, his QB Brett Henson threw for over 12000 yards and 150 Touchdowns in 3 season, breaking every state record and winning 3 state titles.

Gleghorn is a run and shoot guru so it's hard to know if it's the QB or the system.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
If the system is responsible for those kinds of numbers, then bring in that system!
My sentiments exactly.

FBS is a major leap from NMMI JUCO ball. This season is in the tank and it's still KL's team and deserves to finish it. Just let the redshirts show what they got.

My sentiments exactly.

FBS is a major leap from NMMI JUCO ball. This season is in the tank and it's still KL's team and deserves to finish it. Just let the redshirts show what they got.

I agree. I’m not saying Kai is playing lights out, but it seems like he’s playing better and with more confidence now that he’s not looking over his shoulder. There is a chance to win both the NMSU and Rice games and if Kai is not imploding then I say they should keep him in because platooning QBs does way more harm than good.

"The two names that everyone has been anxiously waiting to see are sophomore quarterback Gavin Hardison and freshman running back Deion Hankins.

Other possible redshirt names to watch include defensive back McKel Broussard, offensive lineman Jeremiah Byers, quarterback TJ Goodwin, running back Jalen Joseph (Andress High School), offensive lineman Cameron Cooper, defensive back Carrington Mitchell, wideout Skyler Newsome, defensive tackle Jalen Rudolph, wide receiver Quinatvius Workman (Chapin High School), defensive back Ray Walters, linebacker Jerome Wilson Jr. and defensive back Tyson Wilson."

https://krod.com/utep-football-must-integrate-redshirts-in-final-four-games/

I agree. I’m not saying Kai is playing lights out, but it seems like he’s playing better and with more confidence now that he’s not looking over his shoulder. There is a chance to win both the NMSU and Rice games and if Kai is not imploding then I say they should keep him in because platooning QBs does way more harm than good.
I rather go 0-4 and find out what we got at qb for next season. This year is already a wash. I don’t want Dimel to spend the first six games of next season figuring out if Hardison is any good. Let’s get it over with and if he’s the guy good. If not go find someone in the off-season.

I'm already Numb with Football. I live in Dallas and had no interest in going. This after I was looking forward to going before the year. It's just to awful to watch rn. Basketball Season is our next hope as Miners. Maybe they'll be better next year in football maybe not, but there was no improvement this year and that sucks.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Maybe they'll be better next year in football maybe not, but there was no improvement this year and that sucks.

To this point. Even though I think going 4-8 this is highly unlikely, it’s not out of the question. Charlotte, NMSU, and Rice aren’t great teams. The Miners could win all or some of those games, will they? Probably not, but if the Miners end up 3-9 or 4-8, there would be improvement. If Dismel ends up 3-9 or 4-8, I’ll give him credit and see how his 3rd year goes.

I rather go 0-4 and find out what we got at qb for next season. This year is already a wash. I don’t want Dimel to spend the first six games of next season figuring out if Hardison is any good. Let’s get it over with and if he’s the guy good. If not go find someone in the off-season.

That’s a fair point. I have no problem playing the younger guys at all, I think they should. But they should be competitive vs Rice and NMSU. Do you play to win or risk taking your lumps with younger players?

I'd love for them to win 3of 4, but not with high hopes from what I've seen

That’s a fair point. I have no problem playing the younger guys at all, I think they should. But they should be competitive vs Rice and NMSU. Do you play to win or risk taking your lumps with younger players?
Go all out vs. NMSU, at least. They are our rivals; we should always play that game to win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT