ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte

unihorn

MI Miner Maniac
Dec 1, 2007
KenPom currently has UTEP at #257 and Charlotte at #293. Must win?

Yes this is a must win. They’ll be playing the third game of the week so fatigue should be even. This game is crucial for the head to head tiebreaker if needed for that 12th spot. We will most likely play them again during pod play but will have to travel to Charlotte. Given our road woes we would essentially be eliminated from the CUSA tournament with a loss today.

"Basketball coach Ron Sanchez, who was hired in March, has a five-year contract worth $650,000 per year ($450,000 through university funds and a $200,000 in “supplemental salary,” coming from non-university and state- funds). That’s a 30 percent increase over the $500,000 salary former Mark Price was earning before he was fired in December."

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlot...charlotte-49ers-ad-wants-to-set-new-gold.html

Now let that sink in just a bit.

After listening to the bitchin' and whining from El Paso on Kappy's show yesterday, how can you say UTEP is not all in with UTEP Basketball? CRT makes more than Ron Sanchez....who runs a D1 program in basketball loving state and on the east coast (he has to compete with way, way more D1 mid majors just in that region as compared to UTEP. Two, CRT left Fresno, Fresno, for UTEP because he "did all he can do" at Fresno. Sure they have a bad taste in their mouth but he had them competing for a Mountain West title every year and top talent. 49'ers had to run a pool skimmer at the mall fountain during Christmas and summer just to pay him that. CRT has brought in quality transfers from the east and west coasts and now he adds a cherry on top by bringing in a four star from TCU.

I am going to say this right now. This team that CRT has put together may be just as good if not better than the mid 80's (84-87) UTEP Miners that Haskins built. We're talking about Tim Hardaway, Antonio Davis, "Jeep" Jackson (RIP), Chris Blocker, Wayne "Soup" Campbell and others great backups like Terry Stallworth, & Mike Richmond et al..

2004 had Billy Clyde, a total no name to the college basketball world but very well known for his recruiting prowess to major basketball coaching staff....he was tough to compete against. Fili, Omar Thomas, Jason Williams, Tofi, Roy Smallwood (recruited from Rab's staff)

Tony Barbee 2010 had Caracter, Moultrie, Culpepper, Jeremy Williams, Julyan Stone, Polk, McCulley (before his gambling problem).

These are from the past thirty five years. I can understand for those who do not follow college basketball and just buy a ticket because "they're good this year", but including even this years team, that is run by true freshman, this has to be one of the most impressive teams since The Bear arrived in El Paso, that has been put together.

They will win tonight. This is too much of a talented freshman class to lose to them.

Now there are many who believe the potential for next year. Yesterday's callers sounded like the anti downtown baseball folks who said "No!" all the way until they walked in the stadium and said "Wow, this is pretty nice!". I have my money down that will happen the next two years.

Got to include J'Wash who was a lock down legendary defender right up there with Julyan Stone, but in Floyd recruiting class.

Some shocking scores around the conference today.
We need FIU to win. A win over Charlotte would put us in a three way tie for 11th.

Well FIU beat FAU so the best we can do with a win is tied for 12th with MTSU. The head to head loss would put us in 13th and on the outside looking in.

Last edited:
Weren't we thinking there was improvement? I think we were mistaken. This is a pathetic display of anemia. Nothing to pound your chest about no matter the outcome.
Agreed. Luckily Charlotte is missing the hundreds of open looks they are getting.

Both teams aren’t very good teams.

Jon Davis has finally arrived, we might be in trouble...

Not sure why Evan touches it more, seems like Lathon and Hawkins are just dribbling in circles tonight

That third game will take its toll on Charlotte in the last 2 minutes.

Weren't we thinking there was improvement? I think we were mistaken. This is a pathetic display of anemia. Nothing to pound your chest about no matter the outcome.
We just took ODU to the wire. We can compete with good teams; I'm not going to panic over a sloppy game. All teams have sloppy games. The good teams can find a way to win those games. Can we find a way to win today? That's part of the learning process in becoming a good team.

Miners had the game won but they've found ways to give Charlotte a chance.

I do like UTEP's chances if it goes to OT, though. Charlotte with 3 players fouled out.

Not too bad considering Efe pretty much sat on the bench the entire game.
Their bigs Haslem and Supica (leading rebounders) both fouled out plus Robb. They were playing their third game in five nights; last two on the road, UTSA beat em up by 45 POINTS Thursday. If you don't think that's " not too bad" that we had to go head to head till the end and pull out a squeeker, I guess we have different means of measurements.

Their bigs Haslem and Supica (leading rebounders) both fouled out plus Robb. They were playing their third game in five nights; last two on the road, UTSA beat em up by 45 POINTS Thursday. If you don't think that's " not too bad" that we had to go head to head till the end and pull out a squeeker, I guess we have different means of measurements.
The difference being that UTSA is tied for first we are 13 out of 14th. At this point we can’t be picky about winning.

What the hell was going on with the turnovers on Lathon’s late inbound attempts on their end?

The inbounds pass that Lathon had to Hawkins who was out of bounds looked like a drawn up play. The only problem is that the throw in was a spot thrown in, which means the player cannot move or throw the ball to anybody else out of bounds. A player can throw the ball to another play out of bounds after a made basket. I put that on the coaching staff for not realizing that the throw in was a spot thrown in after Lathon's original attempt was slapped back and out of bounds, thus the second one being a spot throw in. Really bad on the staff to have missed that.

What happened to Odigie? The sound is poor on my computer feed. I didn't catch what happened to him early in the game.

Got in early foul trouble. The Charlotte fans on Twitter are complaining about UTEP flopping, meanwhile their guys whined and oversold every minor contact

The inbounds pass that Lathon had to Hawkins who was out of bounds looked like a drawn up play. The only problem is that the throw in was a spot thrown in, which means the player cannot move or throw the ball to anybody else out of bounds. A player can throw the ball to another play out of bounds after a made basket. I put that on the coaching staff for not realizing that the throw in was a spot thrown in after Lathon's original attempt was slapped back and out of bounds, thus the second one being a spot throw in. Really bad on the staff to have missed that.

Happened right in front of me. You could see that it was drawn up that way. They were disappointed when the whistle blew. From their reaction it was definitely intentional. Coach Terry looked a bit sheepish afterward so I'm guessing it was his idea.

Happened right in front of me. You could see that it was drawn up that way. They were disappointed when the whistle blew. From their reaction it was definitely intentional. Coach Terry looked a bit sheepish afterward so I'm guessing it was his idea.
Steve Yellen thought it was legal at first, too, calling the game.

Reactions: Cube Jack
Do you think we will win more than one game out of the last six?

Efe averages 9.4 rebounds per game. Haslem averages 3.5 rebounds per game...Supica 5 rebounds per game. Efe outperforms them even when you combine those 2 players stats. Efe sitting on the bench hurt us more than Haslem and Supica sitting on the bench for Charlotte. SO no, I don't think last nights game was bad at all. And Charlotte had the best player on the court in senior J. Davis. So I am happy with last nights win that our young team did what it took to get the win. Maybe we do have different means of measurements. Mine are based on a team that is relying on 3 true freshman to carry this team, a senior that disappears, and a team that has no depth.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
Do you think we will win more than one game out of the last six?
I've given up trying to predict this current teams future. Been fooled too many times already. They could win all six, lose all six or who knows. Two more observations about last night's game. We would not have won without Thomas's performance. And...the team was 16 for 44 from the field. Lathon and Hawkins were 5 for 22 while the rest of the team was 11 for 22.

Two more observations about last night's game. We would not have won without Thomas's performance. And...the team was 16 for 44 from the field. Lathon and Hawkins were 5 for 22 while the rest of the team was 11 for 22.
We won dude, do you not like it when UTEP wins??? Who cares about the shoulda, woulda, coulda stuff. It is just like saying if 3 shots that Charlotte made last night would have been 5 more inches to the right or left, we would have won by double digits.
What are were your expectations of this team before the season started?? Top 2 CUSA finish??

What happened to Odigie? The sound is poor on my computer feed. I didn't catch what happened to him early in the game.
Got into foul trouble. He is being double teamed every time he touches the ball. He's not a good passer and has no lift to finish quick. We should have guys dive to the rim when he touches the ball, instead of standing on the perimeter. He should work on quick passing and free throws over the summer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT