ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP - Berkeley Game

FeralFelidae

MI Miner Maniac
Sep 1, 2003
Has anybody watched them? How does UTEP match up? I know Berkeley has lost 2 games, but I'm not too confident in any game if UTEP can't hit their FTs.

Kinda feels like the Northwestern game. Cal was essentially the worst major conference team last year. It's a game that we should have a chance to win and a decent measuring stick to see if we've made strides over the last year. But if they no-show like the football team did against Northwestern, it's going to take a lot of air out of the balloon.

Reactions: Rocketsr and bamfor
Kinda sucks that they already lost twice. I think UTEP can win with our defense and guard play, but we gotta hit some freebies and hope the Cal bigs don't destroy us in the paint.

Reactions: MinerManiac
Cal has a new HC, Mark Madsen. He had a long career as a player in the NBA and played college ball at Stanford. He was recently HC at Utah Valley for 4 seasons. His first season he was 11-19 and improved each season and last year he was 28-9 and made the NIT semi finals losing to UAB 88-86 in OT.
I compared Cal's rosters between 2022 and this season and there are a lot of new faces. I don't know how many players he brought with him from Utah Valley, though.
Edit: Looks like he didn't bring anyone with him from Utah Valley to Cal. But we might see Keonte Kennedy in a Golden Bears uniform, depending on how his injury has healed..

Last edited:
From UTEPminers.com
GET TO KNOW CAL
Cal is 2-2 on the young season with first-year head coach Mark Madsen directing the Bears. Madsen, a former Stanford standout and two-time NBA Champion with the well-known nickname "Mad Dog," took the job after an extremely successful four-year run with Utah Valley. The Wolverines posted back-to-back 20-win seasons his final two campaigns, including setting a school record for victories (28) last year. He has overhauled the roster, bringing in seven scholarship players and 11 newcomers altogether. Two notable names include Texas Tech transfers Fardaws Aimaq and Jaylon Tyson. Aimaq, a preseason second-team All-Pac 12 honoree, is a 6-11 post who starred for Madsen at Utah Valley before landing with the Red Raiders. He registered his 45th career double-double in the season opener. Tyson also had a double-double (20 points, 11 rebounds) in his debut for the Bears, doing so against Pacific on Nov. 10 after his waiver was approved by the NCAA. Overall, Tyson paces the squad in scoring (20.0 ppg-second Pac-12/55th NCAA), rebounding (10.3 rpg-first Pac-12/27th NCAA), assists (4.0 apg) and steals (1.7 spg) while Aimaq does so for blocks (1.5). Jalen Cole, who previously played with both Virginia Tech and Northern Arizona, rates second on the team in scoring (15.8 ppg). He is a sharpshooter who is first in the Pac-12 and 21st nationally for 3-pointers made (13). Aimaq (15.5 ppg), Jalen Celestine (10.7 ppg) and Devin Askew (10.0 ppg) round out the double-digit scorers. Overall, Cal is producing 73.3 points per game on 44.1 percent shooting while yielding 69.8 ppg. Foes are connecting on 45.4 percent, including 37.8 percent from distance, but the Bears have compensated by controlling the glass (+9.3; sixth Pac-12/62nd NCAA) and taking good care of the ball (11.5 turnovers per contest). Cal, just like the Miners, opened the season with four straight home games. The Bears won two of three out of the gates before falling last time out, 63-60, to Montana State on Nov. 16.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I really feel like based on Cal's performance to date we should win the game. They don't appear to be a team to fear. It would however be a feather in our cap to beat a P5. IMO,
It will be a barometer game

Reactions: mikesarabia
Kinda feels like the Northwestern game. Cal was essentially the worst major conference team last year. It's a game that we should have a chance to win and a decent measuring stick to see if we've made strides over the last year. But if they no-show like the football team did against Northwestern, it's going to take a lot of air out of the balloon.
Basketball vs Football not nearly the same situation, but I see where you're trying to come from I suppose. UTEP wins if UTEP doesn't beat themselves. Make at least 60% FT and under 15 turnovers. If they do this and play like they're capable of Utep wins.
UTEP 83
Cal 74

Reactions: groundrounds
If UTEP is any decent, they should win this game by 7+. I don’t give 2 hoots it’s on the road, power 5, etc. Let’s be honest here—Cal sucks.

Failing to win at Cal means this team is overrated, and no where near where we thought.

Unfortunately, a win doesn’t say much. Take care of business, it’s what above average teams do.

Great new coach, struggling team. Total rebuild mode for Cal.

UTEP should, I said should, win this one. Late night (or very early in the morning) games suck because players have to maintain emotional balance until late. If you get excited too soon, your tired by game time.

Take care of the ball and make free throws and we have a chance.

If UTEP is any decent, they should win this game by 7+. I don’t give 2 hoots it’s on the road, power 5, etc. Let’s be honest here—Cal sucks.

Failing to win at Cal means this team is overrated, and no where near where we thought.

Unfortunately, a win doesn’t say much. Take care of business, it’s what above average teams do.
Why do you sound mad before the games even started lol 😆

A win would be nice, a loss would bring us back to earth... Though, I believe most are still "taking it slow" with the hype.... Who the hell scheduled it so late, even for the west coast, 9:30 is late! 11:30 here in DFW.
A loss to this year Cal team would be bad. This is a trap game sort of for UTEP. Committee’s want mid majors to schedule major conference teams but it’s such a double edged sword. Wins against top mid majors say more but oh well? I.e. WKU lost to WIchita State which will hurt them if they do well in conference.

Let’s say UTEP has a good year and probable bubble, a win to selection committee would be a “you beat a major you were expected to beat (at that time). No big deal”.

UTEP loses and the committee will right off UTEP quicker than crap, even if Cal turns things around come conference play.

Better than sounding stupid before the game.

“Y’all must not watch college sports cuz there’s no way UTEP will lose by that much.”

UTEP proceeds to lose by that much.

Such poster is no where to be found anymore. Until the next rose colored set of predictions…
Bro, you've been talking too much crap lately you're a borderline line smack talking troll now Corona! What happen!? No one's being Ra Ra Miners are gonna win 25+ games. People like myself just saying they should beat this Cal team if they play smart and make some free throws which is a big if. Calling people stupid for saying we should win isn't necessary. Man, when I tell you I hope I meet you here in DFW one day at a game or wherever I mean I really hope I do Brotha!

Reactions: Vegasminer
Bro, you've been talking too much crap lately you're a borderline line smack talking troll now Corona! What happen!? No one's being Ra Ra Miners are gonna win 25+ games. People like myself just saying they should beat this Cal team if they play smart and make some free throws which is a big if. Calling people stupid for saying we should win isn't necessary. Man, when I tell you I hope I meet you here in DFW one day at a game or wherever I mean I really hope I do Brotha!
Whenever I want a good laugh I go look at the old opt. Love how much you talk shit to anyone that predicts a lopsided score. UTEP goes on to lose by a similar margin and not a peep from you on that thread anymore. So who’s the borderline troll? 😂

• Haha
Reactions: EPUTEP and nattybry
A loss to this year Cal team would be bad. This is a trap game sort of for UTEP. Committee’s want mid majors to schedule major conference teams but it’s such a double edged sword. Wins against top mid majors say more but oh well? I.e. WKU lost to WIchita State which will hurt them if they do well in conference.

Let’s say UTEP has a good year and probable bubble, a win to selection committee would be a “you beat a major you were expected to beat (at that time). No big deal”.

UTEP loses and the committee will right off UTEP quicker than crap, even if Cal turns things around come conference play.
What committee? There’s no at large coming from CUSA. This game and MTE is to continue to improve for March for the CUSA tourney, ain’t no resume building wins for the NIT or the dance anymore my guy 2Step the committee and NCAA has made that clear. stay healthy and improve from Nov-Feb and win the CUSA tournament in March bro. Sucks but it’s the truth. The final outcome of this team won’t be written until the CUSA tournament is over and either UTEP grabs the auto bid or is sent back home to the Foster Center.

Whenever I want a good laugh I go look at the old opt. Love how much you talk shit to anyone that predicts a lopsided score. UTEP goes on to lose by a similar margin and not a peep from you on that thread anymore. So who’s the borderline troll? 😂
Other way around, you predict losses and when they win you're MIA. You got me twisted bruh! Like I said on the other post I don't Effen like you and that's fine, but you're trash and I want you know that and if the Miners get blown out by Cal, I'll be the first to post, believe that!

Reactions: Vegasminer
Calm down everyone, if we score in the 80's we win.
Looks like Cal will be very hungry and will score in the 70's..
Should be a great wire to wire win for the Miners..
Miners win by 7...
Hollywood always the voice of Reason. Appreciate Good people and Miner Fans like yourself! The fact that it's so late scares me a little, might start off sluggish, but 7-9 point win is what I think as well.

Other way around, you predict losses and when they win you're MIA. You got me twisted bruh! Like I said on the other post I don't Effen like you and that's fine, but you're trash and I want you know that and if the Miners get blown out by Cal, I'll be the first to post, believe that!
You got me there. UTEP proved me wrong so many times. What’s our football record again?

Reactions: EPUTEP and Rocketsr
You got me there. UTEP proved me wrong so many times. What’s our football record again?
Trash just like you! Moving on this is a Cal vs Utep Tread! If Utep makes 60% FTs and has less then 15 turnovers the win tonight by 10 or more. Anything less on both and the margin goes down and it's close. I don't see how that's an unrealistic prediction and that's all I said on this post and you turned into a Troll 🧌 lol

You’re an idiot bro. I’m not talking about this game specifically. If you want an example of what I mean go dig up the northwestern predictions thread. Look at all the shit you spilled. There’s plenty of examples throughout the years. Your trolling didn’t start overnight.

UTEP's basketball teams haven't been as good as we wanted, the past several seasons. But they haven't been so bad that we should be this jaded on the website. Football is that bad. But don't let the football team's woes spill over into basketball. We have the chance to look pretty good this season. We're not there yet, but we're heading in the right direction. Enjoy the ride for a while. If it falls apart, then we complain. For the moment, enjoy the Miners being on an upswing. Go Miners.

UTEP's basketball teams haven't been as good as we wanted, the past several seasons. But they haven't been so bad that we should be this jaded on the website. Football is that bad. But don't let the football team's woes spill over into basketball. We have the chance to look pretty good this season. We're not there yet, but we're heading in the right direction. Enjoy the ride for a while. If it falls apart, then we complain. For the moment, enjoy the Miners being on an upswing. Go Miners.
Well said!

Reactions: nattybry
We lost games last season that we should've won because we couldn't hit free throws.

This season, signs point to the team's continued inability to hit free throws.

You have a guilty conscience.

We lost games last season that we should've won because we couldn't hit free throws.

This season, signs point to the team's continued inability to hit free throws.
The timing of the missed FTs, specifically when we should by burying teams, is what is most concerning. Sure Kalu is a black hole at the line, but the rest of the team needs to shore it up as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT