ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry Presser

Nov 13, 2005
I was impressed with Coach Terry's sincerity and genuine excitement about Miner basketball. He rightly characterized Miner fans as "passionate" fans who know basketball. I am confident he will bring fans back to the Don. Great hire, in my opinion.

I also liked the fact that he said he wanted to keep the existing players and the importance of recruting your existing players during the off season so they do not transfer.

Years back I went into the Miners locker room in the Don Haskins Center after a game. A renovation had recently taken place and new (modern) open wooden lockers with each players name above it lined the walls. In the middle, one old orange metal locker with the name JEEP JACKSON above it still stood in place. I hope Coach Terry who spoke of tradition during Presser, learns about our once loved Great player Jeep and keeps that tradition in place. I may be wrong, but once heard that all though his jersey # has not officially been retired, no one since his passing has worn his #22. PICKS UP to a Great Player !!!!

Haskins unofficially retired Jeep Jackson's #22 as long as he coached. The tradition has been kept on for many years. Floyd let Paul Thomas wear #22 last year for the 30th anniversary of Jeep's passing. That's the only time it has been worn. I hope Coach Terry does keep up our traditions.

Was anyone able to determine who the former players were that were in the crowd? I only caught Willie Cager's name. Which player was asking the question?
I was very pleased with Terry's performance. His ambitions to connect with El Paso and the students impressed me. Need to get everyone involved and he along with Senter knows that.

Last edited:
Coach Terry, "You have to have an unbelievable relationship with your players on and off the court."

That is a good sign. How hard the guys play for him will be the degree to which he means that. I believe that. Among others of you, ive felt for years that that wasn’t especially high on Floyd’s priority list. He may not have been abusive like Eustachy, but it never seemed like his guys felt at ease around him...and i think it often showed in poor, uninspired play for much of the last 7 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT