ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry to UT?

Maybe the extension and restructure of his contract was actually a way to save some money for Utep, secure a buy out to use towards next coach and they already knew Terry was gone after this year. I don't know all the details of the extension. However I don't see how this isn't a mutual departure. Why else would a HC be looking at Assistant Coaching jobs. Tulsa 100% would've paid him less than he makes now as a head coach.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Maybe the extension and restructure of his contract was actually a way to save some money for Utep, secure a buy out to use towards next coach and they already knew Terry was gone after this year. I don't know all the details of the extension. However I don't see how this isn't a mutual departure. Why else would a HC be looking at Assistant Coaching jobs. Tulsa 100% would've paid him less than he makes now as a head coach.
That’s a really good question. Especially at another G5 school.

How so? UTEP gets rid of a coach and contract we don’t like. So what if we win 8 less games next year? BFD

Getting rid of Terry would be great. However, the damage that is done by your coach leaving to be an assistant coach at another school is terrible for the perception of the program. Terry has history at Texas that kind of makes sense. However, leaving to be an assistant at Tulsa doesn't. Tulsa plays in a power conference but I don't know many if any d1 head coaches would leave their job to be an assistant at Tulsa. This just builds the perception that UTEP is an very tough job that's a career ender. In life and college athletics perception is reality. The perception is that UTEP is not an attractive job.

We've had coaches use the job as a stepping stone ( Gillispie and Barbee). However, in the decade since barbee UTEP's place in the college basketball world has slid down the hill as CUSA 2.0 has become a perpetual one bid league with a meaningless regular season. I've said for a long time basketball is in as bad a spot as football and internal and external factors will make getting basketball competitive harder than football. The perception created by your coach bailing to be an assistant coach certainly doesn't help.

In the end this comes down to leadership. Until we replace Senter with somebody with a vision and know how things will get worse. Every day Wilson continues to let Senter run the athletic program ins another day that worsens the damage.

Assume that is the case and they were “working together” since “they knew he would be gone”, why put the extra year on the contract? Dimel got his restructured without the extra year. So your scenario makes absolutely zero sense.

Assume that is the case and they were “working together” since “they knew he would be gone”, why put the extra year on the contract? Dimel got his restructured without the extra year. So your scenario makes absolutely zero sense.
But his question, “Why is Terry looking at assistant coaching positions?”, is a legit question.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Getting rid of Terry would be great. However, the damage that is done by your coach leaving to be an assistant coach at another school is terrible for the perception of the program. Terry has history at Texas that kind of makes sense. However, leaving to be an assistant at Tulsa doesn't. Tulsa plays in a power conference but I don't know many if any d1 head coaches would leave their job to be an assistant at Tulsa. This just builds the perception that UTEP is an very tough job that's a career ender. In life and college athletics perception is reality. The perception is that UTEP is not an attractive job.

We've had coaches use the job as a stepping stone ( Gillispie and Barbee). However, in the decade since barbee UTEP's place in the college basketball world has slid down the hill as CUSA 2.0 has become a perpetual one bid league with a meaningless regular season. I've said for a long time basketball is in as bad a spot as football and internal and external factors will make getting basketball competitive harder than football. The perception created by your coach bailing to be an assistant coach certainly doesn't help.

In the end this comes down to leadership. Until we replace Senter with somebody with a vision and know how things will get worse. Every day Wilson continues to let Senter run the athletic program ins another day that worsens the damage.

UTEP will have no problem filling Terry’s vacancy. Yeah, our perception will be hurt by Terry leaving for an assistant job; not the mediocre results for the last 6 seasons.

Opportunities are what you make of them. It wasn't all that long ago that the perception of 3 of the 4 schools playing tonight was probably a place you go to kill your career.

Last edited:
UTEP will have no problem filling Terry’s vacancy. Yeah, our perception will be hurt by Terry leaving for an assistant job; not the mediocre results for the last 6 seasons.

The crap product for the better part of the decade has hurt. However, the perception that a name coach Floyd and well known up and comer:Terry couldn't win here hurts just as much. It all adds together to create a big shit sandwich. Throw in the fact we play in a one bid league and it's a tough sale. I firmly believe UTEP can and should win at all sports. Thats going to take vision, leadership and not candy coating the situation we currently find ourselves in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
The crap product for the better part of the decade has hurt. However, the perception that a name coach Floyd and well known up and comer:Terry couldn't win here hurts just as much. It all adds together to create a big shit sandwich. Throw in the fact we play in a one bid league and it's a tough sale. I firmly believe UTEP can should win at all sports. Thats going vision, leadership and not candy coating the situation we currently find ourselves in.
Someone hungry will want a shot. That’s often how programs that have been in the gutter get turned around. The colleges coaches I’ve been around have so much ego...and most of them with an abundance of confidence, as well, that someone good will want the job. Now, will we choose the right guy? That could be a completely different story.

Someone hungry will want a shot. That’s often how programs that have been in the gutter get turned around. The colleges coaches I’ve been around have so much ego...and most of them with an abundance of confidence, as well, that someone good will want the job. Now, will we choose the right guy? That could be a completely different story.

Porter Moser went to Loyola Chicago, who hadn’t been to the NCAAs since 1985 and now he’s the coach of OU. Loyola plays in an old, dumpy arena in front of 2000 fans if they’re lucky (at least before the Final 4 run) and minerforlife is trying to lead us to believe UTEP will have trouble getting a good coach.

Porter Moser went to Loyola Chicago, who hadn’t been to the NCAAs since 1985 and now he’s the coach of OU. Loyola plays in an old, dumpy arena in front of 2000 fans if they’re lucky (at least before the Final 4 run) and minerforlife is trying to lead us to believe UTEP will have trouble getting a good coach.
Yeah, agree. I have no doubt there will be some quality applicants when CRT does leave. The “trouble” will come with hiring the “right” guy for us.

Yeah, agree. I have no doubt there will be some quality applicants when CRT does leave. The “trouble” will come with hiring the “right” guy for us.

There’s lots of transfers out there. If someone comes in, they can be just as mediocre as CRT would probably be in 2021-22. First year coach gets a free pass from criticism, barring total incompetence or major “controversies”.

Loyola was a better job than UTEP before they went to the final four. Before they went they went to their second final four our histories were very similar. Both were one hit wonders in the 60's. Both played integral role in integrating basketball. About 10 years ago Loyola renovated their gym. It has way more fan amenities than the Haskins Center. They play in Chicago. The area is loaded with basketball talent. Much easier to recruit to. They play on the MVC which has always been regarded has a very good mid major league. Moser was making just under 1.2 million a year. Loyola is and had been a better job. Doesn't mean it will always be that way, but UTEP has to rebuild the brand cut the ties with the past and acknowledge the reality. Then the program can be built.

I don’t think Terry is leaving (hope he does) but if he does there will be plenty of people interested in the job. I agreed with m—fan who talked about coaches ego. Anybody worth a damn believes they are good enough to turn around a program. If a coach doesn’t believe that they shouldn’t be coaching. This is true in any profession. You have to believe in yourself, if you expect anybody else to believe in you.

We'll be fine. There's a reason it's taking Terry so long to make his decision. He knows this was a good job and there won't be a lack of candidates to replace him.

We need to go back to our roots of hiring hot up and coming assistants. That's where we have found success since the end of the Haskins era.

There are coaches who aren't afraid and share the same mentality of Beard who is quoted saying this at the Texas press conference "I love being around people with high expectations. I love challenges, and I love proving people wrong quickly"

Give me that over some whinny coach who is afraid he won't succeed cuz our last coach left to join Texas as an assistant.

Well th only bad part is Williams almost assuredly will follow him or go pro. Plus I'm sure we'll lose other players. So next year will be a sub double digit win team unless a miracle happens and this new coach gets some transfers.

Yes our only hope for next year either way is transfers.... it would be nice for this to get cleared up really soon

Is it for sure Terry has a offer? If he has Senter should be helping him pack. It’s obvious he’s not respected here, and either doesn’t have the ability or desire to turn this program around.
That being said he’s not a young man and with the money he is getting from UTEP without having to show results why leave?

Reactions: FarWestTexas
With Senter, it just might work]
I worry that Senter doesn't have high expectations. Someone in another thread wrote that Senter was "blown away" after his trip to Austin to see how things worked there. What a bumpkin. Hey guys, laybe one day we can get to the level of Idaho anf the Citad

HC search will be done by a private firm. Someone on here mentioned that Senter leans towards those with head coaching experience which is fine if is a McCasland type coach, IMO. I don't want a baggage laden Patino type coach at UTEP.

Kap interviewed Barbee during last hiring process and he was "eh" on coming back. He said he made good friends and liked El Paso but he never came out and said "Yeah. Let's do this if the interest is there". Billy is just like Patino: "He'll no!!" on bigger venues, too many demons for that yellow brick road. BG is from small town Texas and stated he likes it at TSU.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I know most people on this board doesn't like Terry. But we have to be honest. If he leaves we are a 5 win team next year. Most of the current players won't be here and the new guy won't have time to gather much talent. Are you willing to sacrifice a year? It may be a 3 year process before we have a decent team. It took McCasland that long at North Texas

I know most people on this board doesn't like Terry. But we have to be honest. If he leaves we are a 5 win team next year. Most of the current players won't be here and the new guy won't have time to gather much talent. Are you willing to sacrifice a year? It may be a 3 year process before we have a decent team. It took McCasland that long at North Texas
Chances are good that if Terry stays we are shooting for a 500 season and no post season so yes I would trade that for new coach who actually knows how to get the most out of his players.

I understand the transfer pool is loaded but best case scenario is if Terry leaves we get a new coach in 3 weeks. the plums will be gone. Stuck with Stony Brook transfers. I don't see a lot of good recruits being around

Loyola was a better job than UTEP before they went to the final four. Before they went they went to their second final four our histories were very similar. Both were one hit wonders in the 60's. Both played integral role in integrating basketball. About 10 years ago Loyola renovated their gym. It has way more fan amenities than the Haskins Center. They play in Chicago. The area is loaded with basketball talent. Much easier to recruit to. They play on the MVC which has always been regarded has a very good mid major league. Moser was making just under 1.2 million a year. Loyola is and had been a better job. Doesn't mean it will always be that way, but UTEP has to rebuild the brand cut the ties with the past and acknowledge the reality. Then the program can be built.

You’re funny. I’m sure you have some vague reasoning for “better”, but that is ludicrous. They were in the Horizon League before the MVC, so that move is recent. Creighton and Wichita St were replaced by Valpo and Loyola. The MVC is a good league, but it’s similar to CUSA.

I understand the transfer pool is loaded but best case scenario is if Terry leaves we get a new coach in 3 weeks. the plums will be gone. Stuck with Stony Brook transfers. I don't see a lot of good recruits being around

What’s the difference between winning 12 games and 5? Nothing. Both not good enough for the NIT or NCAA, does it really matter? If you’re not good enough for the 2 tournaments, it’s all the same. Aside from 2-27 or 0-30 type seasons.

A new coach can always tell recruits the last few years don't matter. He tells them we are going to restore the great traditions and make UTEP a name like Gonzaga and they are the ones that are going to make it happen. And because the cupboard is bare, they will get all the PT they can handle while making some noise and getting noticed. That's what a new coach can do with a sucky program that the resident coach cannot do.

McCasland won 20 games and the CBI championship in his first year.

Reactions: utep2step
Two players in the portal and Williams is pretty much not coming back. He can sign a low six figure deal overseas by the summer easily if free agency doesn't pan out.

Terry is with his girlfriend and family enjoying a margarita this Easter Sunday waiting to see if UT agrees to his numbers or counter offer. He's not coming back. WKU, La Tech and UNT are two years ahead of him; it's now or never.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT