ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry to UT?

I know most people on this board doesn't like Terry. But we have to be honest. If he leaves we are a 5 win team next year. Most of the current players won't be here and the new guy won't have time to gather much talent. Are you willing to sacrifice a year? It may be a 3 year process before we have a decent team. It took McCasland that long at North Texas
We are going to be a bad team next season with Terry as well. He wouldn't be considering going to UT as an assistant coach if he thought he had a very good team for next season. It is pretty obvious that UTEP will never be better than average with Terry as coach. Terry isn't taking this program anywhere. If Terry goes to UT, UTEP can begin the rebuild process next season instead of 2 more years from now when we finally decided to fire him. We are just speeding up the process.

The longer this ordeal plays out the more likely it appears Terry will be remaining at UTEP.
If Terry was really looking to jump ship for an assistant job at Tulsa after three years at UTEP then it is obvious Senter should have never hired him to begin with! What a terrible hire!

Last edited:
It was all a dream. A figment of our imagination. Terry is not going anywhere, but at least he HAS to know that UTEP fans are not happy with him.

Agree. Plus, Beard still hasn't filled the final assistant position. We just need to wait this one out. :D
Like I mentioned in another thread. I 100% believe tonight's result will decide what Terry does.

It was all a dream. A figment of our imagination. Terry is not going anywhere, but at least he HAS to know that UTEP fans are not happy with him.

I mentioned it earlier, but there’s not one UTEP fan upset about the possibility of this. I think there’s one mentioning it from a results perspective, but I don’t really think they would lose sleep if he left.

You should have seen this board when BG was rumored and then left to Texas A&M.

Like I mentioned in another thread. I 100% believe tonight's result will decide what Terry does.
Well, yes. There is a general but not always followed rule, to let the post tournaments to play out especially for your larger power conference schools.

If UT puts out anymore info on Beard; and the process thereof, they will be excused on one end of "tampering" with recruits and/or transfers to "wanting to grab the spot light" on the other.

I like UT and whatever UT does is seen with inherent diabolical evil intent of Russian like expansion.

My heart belongs to that Bhutanese buildings campus and I want Terry to just leave.

From Dustin McComas of Orangebloods:

Spent a bunch of time this weekend and again this morning trying to gather some pieces from various places to put together the new Chris Beard puzzle at Texas. Some stuff bouncing around in my head:

--- Considering the whirlwind that preceded it, this weekend seemed fairly quiet. We know Chris Ogden and Ulric Maligi are joining Beard. Based on a couple conversations and also reading between the lines, Beard’s defensive coordinator at Texas Tech, Mark Adams, would prefer to stay in Lubbock and isn't looking towards Austin with much interest. He’s also up for the head coach position.

However, it’s possible Texas Tech goes a different direction at head coach and that coach brings in his own guys, which could leave Adams looking for an opening. UTEP head coach, and former Texas assistant, Rodney Terry continues to be mentioned as a candidate to join Beard’s staff as well. Kind of similar to Beard’s name being linked to Texas for a long while, there hasn’t been a public denial or confirmation from El Paso.

--- In particular, the Adams situation is fascinating because Texas Tech’s rise under Beard is directly and strongly linked to Adams’s defense. Will Beard continue to run that same style of defense if Adams doesn’t join him in Austin? My educated guess is that he would, but that would require him or someone else to take over the role Adams filled, which was similar to the one Luke Yaklich had at Michigan and Texas. While Adams did work with Beard at Arkansas Little Rock, he’s a graduate of Texas Tech.

--- Beard’s longtime strength and conditioning coach, John Reilly, posted the equivalent of a goodbye note on Twitter recently and a Texas Tech source expects him to follow Beard. Texas didn’t have any official news to share today about roles or hires, but we already know Beard extended an invite to Austin to everyone inside his Tech program. Literally. Everyone that could go has the option. How many of those faces make up Beard’s program in Austin remains to be seen but he'd like to bring the gang to town.

Last edited:
McComas thinks the last assistant coach hire will be made by the end of this week.

Kind of feels to me like Terry is a backup if Beard can’t get Adams or another top target.

Well it's good for UTEP, we get a little money to boot and start a new hopefully more successful chapter. Terry gets a slight raise and back on track to maybe be a head coach somewhere better suited for him in the future. I'll say this Beard will have one hell of a staff, especially recruiting wise. Our claim to fame of being the only NCAA D-1 Men's Championship, could come to an end tonight or very soon with the Longhorns. My choice for next HC is without a doubt is Kyle Keller from SFA. Texas recruiting ties, exciting brand of basketball that attracts players and had it not been for Covid last year would've made the NCAA.

Last edited:
Well it's good for UTEP, we get a little money to boot and start a new hopefully more successful chapter. Terry gets a slight raise and back on track to maybe be a head coach somewhere better suited for him in the future. I'll say this Beard will have one hell of a staff, especially recruiting wise. Our claim to fame of being the only NCAA D-1 Men's Championship, could come to an end tonight or very soon with the Longhorns. My choice for next HC is without a doubt is Kyle Keller from SFA. Texas recruiting ties, exciting brand of basketball that attracts players and had it not been for Covid last year would've made NCAA and maybe had a nice run as an 11-12 seed.

Huh?

I would guess that UT would need to pay Terry at least what he is making at UTEP to leave. If this is the case, it is kind of sad that Assistant coaches at the Power 5 schools make more than Head Coaches at the non money schools.

I just don't see how UTEP athletics can compete if they are unable to pay for coaching talent.

I would guess that UT would need to pay Terry at least what he is making at UTEP to leave. If this is the case, it is kind of sad that Assistant coaches at the Power 5 schools make more than Head Coaches at the non money schools.

I just don't see how UTEP athletics can compete if they are unable to pay for coaching talent.
What's sad is that coaches making half of what Terry makes are going to the NCAAs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT