ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching

I'm going to hold him to what I will call the "Barbee Standard."

People gave grief to Barbee in his early years too, but his teams DID improve every year on the previous until he got us to the NCAA Tournament.

This team IS improved over last season's, so I won't call for his head. If Williams decides to go pro, it's going to be difficult for next year's team to improve, but we won't know if he fails the Barbee Standard until they play next season.

Reactions: minerfan_14

People gave grief to Barbee in his early years too, but his teams DID improve every year on the previous until he got us to the NCAA Tournament.

This team IS improved over last season's, so I won't call for his head. If Williams decides to go pro, it's going to be difficult for next year's team to improve, but we won't know if he fails the Barbee Standard until they play next season.

Honestly, I’m more worried about Williams going the grad transfer route. Good college player. He’s not ready for the NBA...which I’m sure is where his sights are set.

Reactions: Lil_Train

Cant compare FF. Barbee bought in high schoolers. Terry has 5 D1 transfers and should be winning more. You’re technically right, that more wins than last is an improvement without context. However, you are mistaken.

Honestly, I’m more worried about Williams going the grad transfer route. Good college player. He’s not ready for the NBA...which I’m sure is where his sights are set.
Is he on track to graduate this year? (Don't know his situation.)

He could very easily do the Vince Hunter route. Vince didn't play in the NBA immediately, but he has made some good money in Europe and then he did indeed play in the NBA.

Cant compare FF. Barbee bought in high schoolers. Terry has 5 D1 transfers and should be winning more. You’re technically right, that more wins than last is an improvement without context. However, you are mistaken.
Barbee brought in Derrick Caracter for his NCAA Tournament season which made a huge difference.

Some of those transfers were Terry's recruits at Fresno St., especially Bryson Williams. So Terry has shown the ability to recruit Bryson Williams out of high school, at least.

Based on what I'm seeing this season, I'm not confident UTEP will improve next season, but I think it's fair to give him that chance.

Reactions: MinerJo
They just have the worst collections of shooters I have ever seen on a team.... terry needs offense

He needs to go with

boum
Edwards
Stroud
Odigie
Williams

sub around those 5 —- I think that’s the best we got —- never been as frustrated with a utep team is I am now....

Reactions: MinersWon
I don't understand why you and you always complain about ticket prices. Ticket prices are reasonable in my opinion compared to other attractions in this city

I’ve already ****ing explained it multiple times. You don't/can’t raise prices when your team sucks and haven’t accomplished anything. Only once you’ve accomplished something can you raise ticket prices. This basketball team won 8 games last year and stupid Senter speculated that this team was going to better, but it’s obvious that they are not really.

Reactions: Autograph Boy

He could very easily do the Vince Hunter route. Vince didn't play in the NBA immediately, but he has made some good money in Europe and then he did indeed play in the NBA.

I don’t know if he is or not. He had all of last year to go heavy on the course load. Seems like a bright kid. Wouldn’t surprise me if he does transfer. It’s all presumption on my part, though.

Honestly think he knows he’s not NBA ready but could be in another year. Seems far less desperate to make it happen NOW than VH. Would guess he’ll try and set himself up as best he can to make it onto an NBA roster. Again, all presumption on my part.

Barbee brought in Derrick Caracter for his NCAA Tournament season which made a huge difference.

Some of those transfers were Terry's recruits at Fresno St., especially Bryson Williams. So Terry has shown the ability to recruit Bryson Williams out of high school, at least.

Based on what I'm seeing this season, I'm not confident UTEP will improve next season, but I think it's fair to give him that chance.

He brought in DC for his 4th season. DC or any other solid transfer wasn’t sitting out his 1st year and playing in the 2nd.

Well, listening to the interview after the game coach Terry said "I'm not throwing anyone under the bus" and then threw Lathon under the bus. I don't think Lathon is coming back, and from that interview, I don't think the players are on the same page as coach Terry or Terry isn't on the same page as his players.

Well, listening to the interview after the game coach Terry said "I'm not throwing anyone under the bus" and then threw Lathon under the bus. I don't think Lathon is coming back, and from that interview, I don't think the players are on the same page as coach Terry or Terry isn't on the same page as his players.

This team is a mess. Next year will be the same crap or worse, depending on who leaves

Interesting. What exactly did he say about Lathon?

He didn't call them out by name, but I think he was asked about Lathon and Hawkins and answered with they weren't putting in the work

They just have the worst collections of shooters I have ever seen on a team.... terry needs offense

He needs to go with

boum
Edwards
Stroud
Odigie
Williams

sub around those 5 —- I think that’s the best we got —- never been as frustrated with a utep team is I am now....
Yes Yes Yes. Terry had the perfect opportunity to start and play Efe and Stroud for long minutes tonight after what happened Thursday, yet he reverts back to the same crap. I liked Boum off the bench, but after tonight it has to be these 5. Vila and Lathon need to be benched indefinitely right now. Narrow the lineup. Tell Tydus to protect the damn rim or sit down too. Hell, put Campbell in there and if need be. Do something to light a fire under this team!

From twitter and right on:
Absolute bullshit and we deserve better; great crowd no chance to get into the game; we need better coaching cause we got our ass schooled tonight @JimSenter2 the fans deserve better and we are tired of this product.

He didn't call them out by name, but I think he was asked about Lathon and Hawkins and answered with they weren't putting in the work

Did he call himself out for being a dumbass by playing guys who aren’t “putting in the work” for a combined 40 minutes? CRT has been as big of a disappointment as any player, if not more so.

Then why are they playing???? What is Stroud supposed to think when he hears and sees this? Terry makes no damn sense. This is a major problem and alone can destroy chemistry. A good coach has to be fair and unbiased from the first to the last guy. Players can see right through that bullshit.

To go even further on why I think this team is not on the same page as the coach.... He said something to the effect of, that he needs to find a group of players that believe in his system.

He needs to go with

boum
Edwards
Stroud
Odigie
Williams

Here's the problem with that lineup: Boum has 39 assists to 37 turnovers this season. Edward's has 38 assists to 43 turnovers. As bad as they have been playing, Hawkins (45/27) and Lathon (50/27) are much better in that category. I guess that there aren't really any good solutions, as we have a terrible backcourt. I agree with starting Stroud and Odigie, and believe that they should get more minutes. Give Verhoeven and Tarke some minutes. I'm so tired of seeing Vila out there.

Do you remember back when we thought this team had talent? Was it really only two months ago?

Yeah so basically his system is good, the players aren't working hard enough, but he still plays them?

So basically there will be no adjustments from coaching and no benefit to working hard as a player. Great approach.

Terry said after the MT win that UAB manhandled us last year. He also talked about how well Odigie played.

Terry proceeds to start Vila who is our worst interior defender. UAB goes straight to Butler. Williams a hard time with him. Odigie and Verhoeven play less total minutes than Vila. Meanwhile in the 2nd half Williams has to play off of Butler a little because he is worried about fouls. Butler goes 8-13 and gets 10 more points than his average.

UTEP and UAB are basically even in all of the statistical categories except we hit a few more 3s. UAB scores 8 more 2-point baskets and proceeds to win by 14.

Sure we missed some open shots and our PGs sucked, but where was the strategy in stopping UAB's strength? Why did Vila start Terry? It's not ALL on the players. Did you ever think that they are not getting better partly because of you?

Last edited:
I have no words. There is plenty of blame to go around but Coach Terry; YOU are the root!
I feel bad for Bryson. What a wasted season for him. No help from his teammates and certainly not from the coaches.
What a long, long wait just to be screwed again.
Turn out the lights. As Terry says over and over, "at the end of the day....". So tired of this worn out BS. Blame the players; by all means. It's all on them.
Good night. See you again someday.

Academics wise, he is a senior.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT