ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching

In regards to Odigie, pretty much all of his numbers have improved relative to playing time. Terry's infatuation with Vila has negated Odigie's capacity to produce numbers.

Whatever drama and regression happened with Hawkins has to do with Terry over recruiting and throwing him to the side since the start of season #2.

Lathon's case is sad. The personal issue really devastated his game. He seems to be hanging by a thread.

Williams is a stud. Boum has been a pretty decent 6th man. Boum and Edwards are overplayed and inconsistent.

Vila is just frustrating. Tarke is an apparition. Tydus hasn't been the defensive stopper he was at Duquesne. Archie has been a bust. Stroud is underutilized.
Bottom line....coaching deficiency! No player development, horrible decisions on who to play and who to sit, inability to adjust offense and defense to adapt to certain situations, no patterns of offensive sets or even any plays. Worst scoring production imaginable. Players are lost and nobody wants the ball, except Williams. Never seen so many shot clock violations and desperation off balance three's at the buzzer. The program fix is all in the coaches office and the AD doesn't care or even acknowledge that there's a problem.

Bottom line....coaching deficiency! No player development, horrible decisions on who to play and who to sit, inability to adjust offense and defense to adapt to certain situations, no patterns of offensive sets or even any plays. Worst scoring production imaginable. Players are lost and nobody wants the ball, except Williams. Never seen so many shot clock violations and desperation off balance three's at the buzzer. The program fix is all in the coaches office and the AD doesn't care or even acknowledge that there's a problem.
Well said. I do think Senter cares, but he is flailing at the mercy of his FB and MBB hires right now.

What really bothers me is that Terry has never acknowledged that he has any coaching deficits.

Well said. I do think Senter cares, but he is flailing at the mercy of his FB and MBB hires right now.

What really bothers me is that Terry has never acknowledged that he has any coaching deficits.

I emailed Senter last night out of frustration. I didn’t expect him to but he actually responded. He said that our issues are not coaching issues but rather talent issues for both teams. He said it takes time. I think he’s out of touch. Neither team will show improvement next year is my guess. One more win than this year in fb is not showing improvement. If we lose Williams we will take a step backwards and that will be his excuse next year. We’re screwed unless Heather steps up to the plate. He doesn’t seem to have empathy for our plight as fans. Again, he’s out of touch and has no connection to utep other than it is his employer. I don’t have faith in this guy, even less so after this response.

I emailed Senter last night out of frustration. I didn’t expect him to but he actually responded. He said that our issues are not coaching issues but rather talent issues for both teams. He said it takes time. I think he’s out of touch. Neither team will show improvement next year is my guess. One more win than this year in fb is not showing improvement. If we lose Williams we will take a step backwards and that will be his excuse next year. We’re screwed unless Heather steps up to the plate. He doesn’t seem to have empathy for our plight as fans. Again, he’s out of touch and has no connection to utep other than it is his employer. I don’t have faith in this guy, even less so after this response.
Wow. Not good. Next step is to start emailing Heather Wilson.

Reactions: miner1liner
You gotta give credit to Senter for responding to an email on Super Bowl Sunday.

It has crossed my mind that maybe Heather wants to overwork Senter until he resigns on his own.
Maybe. Not sure how long she will be here herself given her history, but she must know that 3 years is enough to see a pattern and trajectory with head coaches. Let's hope she starts applying pressure to Senter soon (if not already).

I as you know have emailed Senter multiple times and in his last one informed me that he's not concerned about the unhappy fan base. Out of touch indeed. I have emailed Heather twice with one response which I suspect was a canned one.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Talent?!

Ok. Now that is bull.

How is that bs? We don’t have basketball talent! We have athletes
What were you thinking this time last year? CRT brought in players who were athletes with numbers (I'm referring to transfers).

These guys are having struggles with his offense and some are just not made to play in it. Vila, Archie and Tarke comes to mind. Archie and Tarke are getting better. Vila is a head scratcher. I believe CRT has put on Lathon the heavy task to run the offense but took away his ability to get to the basket. Boum has now adapted to both and getting better.

As they say in election politics "it's the economy, stupid!"; in college basketball "it's the offense, stupid!". CRT is from the Barnes coaching tree, this is not the Barnes offense at UT that I remember?

Ummmm no —- we don’t have the basketball talent plain and simple .... have there been a few odd substitutions ? Yes! But this team is where it is because we don’t have guards that can make open shots.... if lathon, Hawkins and boum were over 36 percent from 3 we would be a much different team... but they aren’t so it’s what it is... my only concern has been our defense sliding ...

Or maybe if Terry designed an offense where Lathon, Boum, and Hawkins don’t take so many 3s we would be a different team. Higher shooting percentage would equal to better basketball talent.

Anything to justify Terry’s coaching abilities.

Or maybe if Terry designed an offense where Lathon, Boum, and Hawkins don’t take so many 3s we would be a different team. Higher shooting percentage would equal to better basketball talent.

Anything to justify Terry’s coaching abilities.
Bingo!

But most college players can shoot a three with better efficiency than a free throw.

In all fairness, the issues have not just been our guards on offense. Our wing players have also been lousy on that end as well. Vila is a non factor as we know; can't shoot or drive. Archie is a turnover machine, who plays completely out of control, and can't shoot. Stroud shows some potential, but makes dumbfounding turnovers as well. Tarke was a failed experiment.

We know Terry isn't going to be a great X and O coach, but at this point I am really questioning his ability to recognize the huge offensive issues prior to the beginning of the season. I think bringing in a guy like Edwards late was a good move, but it wasn't enough. If Terry is going to out the players, he needs to at least acknowledge it is his fault for not bringing in the right pieces. When Senter says it is a talent issue, that should not exonerate the coach(es) from blame; it is their number one job to bring in the right players/talent.

Last edited:

And what would you have them do?? They are doubles the inside all the time... if boum lathon and Hawkins all start driving that’s an easy fix for the other team... all they have to do is pack the paint and we are done.... so please tell me what your solution is?

Bottom line for me is 1) ours guards are not shooting well and are very inconsistent 2) Some of the players haven't worked out 3) playing time and substitutions continue to be confusing and 4) Terry hasn't adjusted to any of this.

Both the players and coach are to blame, but the brunt of the blame has to be on the coach.

Bottom line for me is 1) ours guards are not shooting well and are very inconsistent 2) Some of the players haven't worked out 3) playing time and substitutions continue to be confusing and 4) Terry hasn't adjusted to any of this.

Both the players and coach are to blame, but the brunt of the blame has to be on the coach.
I thought I was seeing things when we played Rice in Houston. We actually played a little zone against them; I didn't think it was a very good zone, but at least Terry changed up on that end for a few possessions. Like you mentioned, a zone defense may have slowed down the UAB inside attack some, so that could have possibly helped since they aren't a great shooting team. In the end, I still they would have won simply because they were able to bully us on both ends. We knew that going in, and that is exactly what happened.

I see the argument for the need of more/any coaching adjustments, I just don't think it would be enough to overcome these major deficiencies. Players at this level have to be able to make an open shot; and they need to be able to take care of the ball. Terry hasn't been good, but in my opinion, the players are too limited skill wise. Whichever side you fall on, the reality is that we have a mediocre team that will struggle through the rest of this season, and a coach who is too stubborn or is unable to implement meaningful adjustments.

To me its interesting that Terry said something to the effect of "we have a good team... the sky isn't falling" in the beginning of January when the transfer portal drama was going on. Fast forward only one month and we hear him telling Teicher that he doesn't know the answer to some of the questions regarding his team and then continuing to throw 2 of his players under the bus.

Does this mean that the sky is falling now?

I think everyone is assuming we lose Williams, because this team isn't as good as we thought. Idk that, that's the case. He is close with Terry and came here knowing it'd be a 2 year deal. I hope though I'm right about this and the people thinking he's leaving are wrong.

Reactions: miner1liner
I think everyone is assuming we lose Williams, because this team isn't as good as we thought. Idk that, that's the case. He is close with Terry and came here knowing it'd be a 2 year deal. I hope though I'm right about this and the people thinking he's leaving are wrong.

I think Bryson is going to be a grad transfer.

I'd feel better about him staying if he was getting support from anyone else on the team. Some reason to believe it will come together. But right now he's all we've got. Why sign up for another year of that?

Listening to the Coaches show and wondering in anyone is going to ask coach Terry some dang questions. Is it because they combined both men’s and women’s show into one and there’s no time.? If not what about during commercials or after the show to give UTEP fans a chance to comment and ask questions.

Listening to the Coaches show and wondering in anyone is going to ask coach Terry some dang questions. Is it because they combined both men’s and women’s show into one and there’s no time.? If not what about during commercials or after the show to give UTEP fans a chance to comment and ask questions.

What more is there to ask at this point? They've already made clear that they don't believe coaching is an issue. It's the players. They lack talent. They lack work ethic. They can't shoot. They can't rebound. They can't [fill in the blank here].

They'd get the message loud and clear if NOBODY listened and NOBODY asked any more questions.

According to Steve, the mic is there and open for questions, but nobody has questions to ask.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
What more is there to ask at this point? They've already made clear that they don't believe coaching is an issue. It's the players. They lack talent. They lack work ethic. They can't shoot. They can't rebound. They can't [fill in the blank here].

They'd get the message loud and clear if NOBODY listened and NOBODY asked any more questions.
Senter is becoming the James Dolan of CUSA. It's way too soon to throw Terry under the bus but the lack of talent excuse has holes in the water bucket.

PlayfulBraveLadybug-size_restricted.gif

Nobody will ask, cause they will get a BS answer, After what he said last game Senter should call him in and ream his ass. He recruited these players, he’s suppose to teach and motivate them. If he is unable to do it, can his ass.

A valid question would be, "Coach, have you been able to put your finger on exactly why, this team has regressed from the start of the year, as opposed to improving"?

Imo it’s not so much the team has regressed but it has failed to evolve. Everyone else already knows how to play against us. They’re going to give us the open 3s cuz we’re not a good shooting team. Everyone knows it. Terry’s idea of a fix is to keep shooting until we start making shots. The only problem is the season is 3/4 of the way done and that plan hasn’t worked. He should have changed up the offense to the strengths of his players. Maybe the players start making shots, get hot in the last quarter of the season and it pays off. It looks like that is what Terry is banking on so don’t expect anything to change offensively.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT