ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats, Mack Rhoades....I think!

After the embarrassing summer they've had apparently the regents at Baylor are doubling down on athletics. The word was the next AD would be payed 2.5 million a year. I dont know how much Rhoades is getting paid but I can guarantee you he got a substantial raise. In addition he has a blank check to hire the next football coach.

Good AD hire for Baylor.

I'm sure they're hoping he can lure Herman to Baylor, but I doubt Herman will go there.

Good AD hire for Baylor.

I'm sure they're hoping he can lure Herman to Baylor, but I doubt Herman will go there.

Baylor? Herman? Not a chance, not at any price, although the Baylor BOR will pay absolutely stupid money to rebuild their brand.

Tom Herman believes he can build a BCS- quality program at UH. Houston's '16 OOC includes games with Oklahoma and Louisville, both preseason top 10 teams, both games in Houston, both games on national TV. Win both (certainly a tall order) and there is a clear path for UH to the BCS championship playoff. Word is that Herman would be increased from 2.5 to the $4 million neighborhood for reaching the playoff. That's elite money for ANY program. For perspective, Sabin, Strong, and Sumlin are the only collegiate coaches currently at 5 mil+ in base salary. And remember, Herman is entering his SECOND season as a head coach. He's stockpiling a boatload of talent, his best teams will be in the future.

Baylor? Herman? Not a chance, not at any price, although the Baylor BOR will pay absolutely stupid money to rebuild their brand.

Tom Herman believes he can build a BCS- quality program at UH. Houston's '16 OOC includes games with Oklahoma and Louisville, both preseason top 10 teams, both games in Houston, both games on national TV. Win both (certainly a tall order) and there is a clear path for UH to the BCS championship playoff. Word is that Herman would be increased from 2.5 to the $4 million neighborhood for reaching the playoff. That's elite money for ANY program. For perspective, Sabin, Strong, and Sumlin are the only collegiate coaches currently at 5 mil+ in base salary. And remember, Herman is entering his SECOND season as a head coach. He's stockpiling a boatload of talent, his best teams will be in the future.

maybe

As wierd as it is to say Herman's future at Houston may hinge on the Oklahoma game. If Houston wins they have a legitimate shot at a playoff spot. What may hurt them is the AAC west looks pretty weak this year. SMU is probably the second best team in the division. On the other side USF is going to be really good and I think UCONN could be really good.

Despite the weakness of the AAC west. If Houston beats OU and runs the table after what they did last year it would be hard to keep them out of the playoff. They lose to OU there is no chance they make the playoff. At that point Herman may well get frustrated at the barriers he faces in a g5 conference and leaves. If they make the playoffs with two years of Kyle Allen coming there is no way he leaves Houston. That Oklahoma game is probably the biggest game in Houston history.

As wierd as it is to say Herman's future at Houston may hinge on the Oklahoma game. If Houston wins they have a legitimate shot at a playoff spot. What may hurt them is the AAC west looks pretty weak this year. SMU is probably the second best team in the division. On the other side USF is going to be really good and I think UCONN could be really good.

Despite the weakness of the AAC west. If Houston beats OU and runs the table after what they did last year it would be hard to keep them out of the playoff. They lose to OU there is no chance they make the playoff. At that point Herman may well get frustrated at the barriers he faces in a g5 conference and leaves. If they make the playoffs with two years of Kyle Allen coming there is no way he leaves Houston. That Oklahoma game is probably the biggest game in Houston history.

Fair points, but linking the OU game to Herman's future is a bit of a reach, IMO. Better barometers would be his perception of 1) the depth of financial commitment to the FB program (e.g. top salaries for coordinators and assistance coaches, 2) level/ceiling of local/alumni support (e.g. current 22K season tickets, may touch 25-30K with a successful '16), and 3) ability to recruit elite talent (e.g. Kyle Allen; UH currently in the conversation for several national recruits).

Regarding the AAC, Florida State will tell you whoever wins that league will be nationally competitive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT