ADVERTISEMENT

Couple things

USAFminersfan

MI Regular
Nov 8, 2008
I've notice--

Our half court offense is essentially trying to get Williams on an isolated post, or taking our man 1 on 1. There's no "flow " or creativity to our offensive sets, which is why we turn it over so much. We seem to get out coached consistently in that department. Other teams have much better offensive sets with designed plays to get their players easy buckets. We don't seem to get a lot of easy buckets.

-- kinda miss Floyd's set plays under the basket after an OOB. We got burned by those today. Don't think I've seen us do any designed plays like that this year

-- We are not going to do much this year without a needed pg. Those on this board that had tempered expectations due to our deficiency in that area were spot on

It is still very early but it seems like focusing so much on recruiting the Best Available Players only gets you so far. Sometimes it seems like we are always on the wrong side of the X’s and O’s versus the Jimmies and Joe’s argument.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I've notice--

Our half court offense is essentially trying to get Williams on an isolated post, or taking our man 1 on 1. There's no "flow " or creativity to our offensive sets, which is why we turn it over so much. We seem to get out coached consistently in that department. Other teams have much better offensive sets with designed plays to get their players easy buckets. We don't seem to get a lot of easy buckets.

-- kinda miss Floyd's set plays under the basket after an OOB. We got burned by those today. Don't think I've seen us do any designed plays like that this year

-- We are not going to do much this year without a needed pg. Those on this board that had tempered expectations due to our deficiency in that area were spot on

I realize it was early in his tenure but this is exactly what I said at the end of last season. It was an unpopular idea, especially with the cavalry coming in, but it was apparent to me that CRT was not a creative coach. Especially on the offensive end. Our half court offense not only sucked, it never improved over the course of last year. We had the fewest assists in the nation as a team.

There are deficiencies on this team that will make winning difficult at times. I hate to say it but coaching being one of the big ones.

Honestly I don’t think any of us are saying this if we can get some of those 3s to fall but in my opinion what needs to happen is....lineup change

put hawkins at point (has a much better looking shot than lathon which will make him a scoring threat

keep Edwards locked against number one player for other team and keep a 3pt shooter out there

boum another person capable of hitting from the outside

have odigie and Williams fill in — we have 5 players that can score on the floor and you can’t concentrate on one

have tarke lathon Archie verhouven and villa all sub when starters are in foul trouble or need a break

hawkins and Edwards are good defensive players .. even boum is decent —

if we are struggling rebounding bring tarke in.. that guy can rebound pretty well

I don’t understand how with all the resources they have how has lathons shot not been fixed?? It’s an awful line drive, almost like he is trying to push through it..

Reactions: USAFminersfan
Agree with what has be said, but add one thing. We don't play smart BSU kept us outside all day. You are not going to be successful if your jacking up threes every set, you won't get much on the offensive glass and you don't get fouled. Today we had a lot chances to drive and dish but we didn't, threes are ok if they come in context to the offense, an not taking one every chance you get. Little if any interior passes, no mid range game and little on the boards, pretty easy to see why we didn't win more of these games. Don't get the wining about Gilyard, he ain't here and he is not coming back, move on.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Gilyard was booted for some shady stuff. Won't say what he did, since it hasn't been reported, but safe to say his teammates are happy he's gone.

Dont expect you all to take my word for it, but those who've been on here awhile know I've had some scoops.

Terry kept his issues quiet to avoid ruining his image.

All you guys pining for Gilyard probably worry about who your girl will fvck when you’re gone.

Reactions: FixMyCrown
Gilyard was booted for some shady stuff. Won't say what he did, since it hasn't been reported, but safe to say his teammates are happy he's gone.

Dont expect you all to take my word for it, but those who've been on here awhile know I've had some scoops.

Terry kept his issues quiet to avoid ruining his image.

Was it illegal things?

I didn't find the need to post anything in defense of Evan Gilyard because everyone is entitled to their opinion, and we all know what they are like everyone got one and dont mean shit!
Evan still hv UTEP fans who appreciate good basketball and does fill us in on the program time to time and yes wish EG was a miner.
But this discussion here took a left turn and as a parent I had to chime in. First with your scoop you are privileged to, do research outside of current players and coaches! EG had no disciplinary or academic problems reported or non reported at UTEP! Your Coach wanted to mk room for his players thats fine he has the right to do that but you can not force a player out, plain and simple. What you will not do is attach his name to some rumors. Its is not cool, you dont like him that's fine. Yes, he has an attitude and aint nothing wrong with that. He's a beast, first one in the gym last one out, he came to win and play every night, heart of a lion and a winner.
UTEP is winning, thats the main goal and its good. Evan wants to win a conference ship, play in NCAA tourney and win, that great!
So keep it moving without degrading a student athlete character that came to your school to help it become a winning program!!!!

I didn't find the need to post anything in defense of Evan Gilyard because everyone is entitled to their opinion, and we all know what they are like everyone got one and dont mean shit!
Evan still hv UTEP fans who appreciate good basketball and does fill us in on the program time to time and yes wish EG was a miner.
But this discussion here took a left turn and as a parent I had to chime in. First with your scoop you are privileged to, do research outside of current players and coaches! EG had no disciplinary or academic problems reported or non reported at UTEP! Your Coach wanted to mk room for his players thats fine he has the right to do that but you can not force a player out, plain and simple. What you will not do is attach his name to some rumors. Its is not cool, you dont like him that's fine. Yes, he has an attitude and aint nothing wrong with that. He's a beast, first one in the gym last one out, he came to win and play every night, heart of a lion and a winner.
UTEP is winning, thats the main goal and its good. Evan wants to win a conference ship, play in NCAA tourney and win, that great!
So keep it moving without degrading a student athlete character that came to your school to help it become a winning program!!!!
Good luck to your son, but I hope he gets his ass kicked twice next year on his way to the NCAA.

Since you are here though....how did Evan become eligible mid-season? Please explain.

Good luck to your son, but I hope he gets his ass kicked twice next year on his way to the NCAA.

Since you are here though....how did Evan become eligible mid-season? Please explain.
Lol, as a UFEP fan you should.......Let me explain this part, we had been trying for a waiver before the season started. NCAA wants to protect players from situations like his. Your previous school controls the lengthy time frame if they move on the waiver then NCAA investigates ie, Evan wanted to play against UTEP Good luck to the Miners.

Lol, as a UFEP fan you should.......Let me explain this part, we had been trying for a waiver before the season started. NCAA wants to protect players from situations like his. Your previous school controls the lengthy time frame if they move on the waiver then NCAA investigates ie, Evan wanted to play against UTEP Good luck to the Miners.
Evan was my favorite player. Heart of a lion!

Reactions: utep-piggy
So this guy can't catch a break, can he?

Comes back El Paso to play against UTEP on the bench not yet eligible and NMSU loses. Team goes undefeated in the WeAC and the tournament gets canceled.

Then the next year they lose three times to GCU, lose to Cal Baptist and don't make the postseason at all.

So this guy can't catch a break, can he?

Comes back El Paso to play against UTEP on the bench not yet eligible and NMSU loses. Team goes undefeated in the WeAC and the tournament gets canceled.

Then the next year they lose three times to GCU, lose to Cal Baptist and don't make the postseason at all.

Still won a conference championship. Didn’t have to play his conference tournament on a practice football field. How is losing to GCU, CBU, and missing the postseason any different from losing to FAU, Southern Miss, and missing the postseason?

The NIT is playing games on a hockey practice field in the same city. That's not really an insult. Lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT