ADVERTISEMENT

CUSA wants to have at least 10 members

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
This is according to an article in the Athletic. FCS schools want the security of going to 12. When WKU and MT finalize their move to the MAC then CUSA movement will escalate. UMass is apparantly a possibility.

Where the hell did anyone say UMASS would leave the A10?

Probably football only and in that case they would not count towards the full 8 members needed but they would still help with fbs scheduling.
You didn’t specify in the post, about football only. CUSA should not add UMass unless it’s for all sports. They add nothing.

It's a given that if either UConn and or UMass is added would be football only.

Only an idiot would assume otherwise.

It's a given that if either UConn and or UMass is added would be football only.

Only an idiot would assume otherwise.
UConn yes, not UMass. Fili is an idiot then yes? He has suggested UMass too. I am not assuming otherwise. Just pointing out that Wisconsin didn’t specify or post the article that did.

“What are the chances that C-USA actually folds? If MTSU and WKU leave for the MAC, do you think that the conference will be able to backfill with NMSU, UMass, UConn and FCS schools? Or will no one trust it and the remaining members all look for new homes? — Jesse K.

I know a lot of people have declared Conference USA dead multiple times in recent weeks, but I don’t think that’s going to happen. The league has worked really, really hard to survive, and getting at least $18 million in exit fees gives it something to work with.

If Conference USA loses Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee to the MAC but adds Liberty, New Mexico State, Sam Houston and Jacksonville State, that would get the conference to seven members. League sources have told me they’d like to get to at least 10. UConn football has been in the discussion, but it’s not known yet whether the Huskies would join. UMass would like to join C-USA, and it’s been under consideration. Outside of that, it has to look at more FCS schools. Tarleton State, which is transitioning to FCS from Division II, is an option. Some FCS schools would prefer C-USA get larger, to at least 12 members for the sake of stability, so the league may try to add several FCS schools. A lot of work has been put into the WAC football project, but if Sam Houston does make the jump, that would make more WAC schools open to following.

All potential C-USA candidates have been waiting to see what’s left of C-USA first. That means a MAC decision on WKU/MTSU by the end of the week is probably the next shoe to drop before those other schools fully commit to C-USA.”

Doesn’t say UMass football or football only. So according to this guy, anyone reading this wouldn’t be able to tell that he 100% meant UMass football only.

Maybe they would leave the A10 to play Jacksonville and FIU. For anyone else that has been following realignment we all know that's not the case.

I would only want UMASS if they brought Basketball same with Uconn. Who are they to be greedy?? There is other schools that would join.

Maybe they would leave the A10 to play Jacksonville and FIU. For anyone else that has been following realignment we all know that's not the case.

Interesting this is that UT-Arlington and Arkansas-Little Rock both have done their homework on adding Football. I can see one or both adding Football in the next 5 years.

Reactions: JCorona
UT Arlington had Football years back and played UTEP on several occasions. The played in the old home of the Texas Rangers and had a fair team one year. When I was at TCU in the early 80's they beat TCU pretty good (an so did most everyone else in those years)

UT Arlington had Football years back and played UTEP on several occasions. The played in the old home of the Texas Rangers and had a fair team one year. When I was at TCU in the early 80's they beat TCU pretty good (an so did most everyone else in those years)
I hope they are a non football add to cusa and have no intention of adding football. Being in the dfw area means they would immediately jump in front of UTEP for mwc consideration.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I hope they are a non football add to cusa and have no intention of adding football. Being in the dfw area means they would immediately jump in front of UTEP for mwc consideration.
UTA would be 10 years away from even being considered. They should stick to basketball, which they’re not even really successful at anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT