ADVERTISEMENT

Dimel took a weird and indirect shot at Kugler during media day

Dec 22, 2016
Message to Dimel about the first 30 seconds of this clip, you're not here to spin and spew positives at fans and media if you can't get this thing turned around, all you gotta do is give us a fun offense to watch and COMPETE in C-USA and give us a shot at a bowl game we can win outside of our shitty conference and we will be content, we're UTEP we understand our lane.

Not sure why he thinks that handling the media is so important to this job its El Paso, Texas. I get it, Kugler was a dick to most media during his time, and his negativity rubbed off on the players, but just thought it was a weird answer and an indirect shot at Kugler's up and down temper that he should have kept to himself....

Roy, your arrogance and your propensity for self promotion is showing. This Coach Dimel clip shows nothing that you allege. Handling the media in a positive and informative way is paramount in this day and age. And really man, you throwing shade at someone by accusing them of throwing shade at someone is hypocritical. And furthermore, enough of trolling our so called (by you) "shitty" conference that our beloved Miners belong to. We all want them to join the Big 12 tomorrow too, but come on. You do love the Miners, right.

Reactions: MinerJo
Roy, your arrogance and your propensity for self promotion is showing. This Coach Dimel clip shows nothing that you allege. Handling the media in a positive and informative way is paramount in this day and age. And really man, you throwing shade at someone by accusing them of throwing shade at someone is hypocritical. And furthermore, enough of trolling our so called (by you) "shitty" conference that our beloved Miners belong to. We all want them to join the Big 12 tomorrow too, but come on. You do love the Miners, right.
I do love the Miners, but I do not love the Dimel hire.

I'm not trolling, I'm pointing out the fact that he was asked about his previous head coaching experience and responded by saying he is good at handling the media during a difficult situation and indirectly mentioned one of Kugler's main faults as a head coach? I'd rather hear about his X's and O's rather than how well he can handle the media, or how he can recruit WR's to help an offense that hasn't had a 300-yard passing game in five years..

Maybe the "Senter Stage" hype has you blinded that our football program is still way down in the gutter and realistically might not beat NAU or can easily go winless again, but our coach can handle the media well so I should be happy as a Alabama fan.

Just saying Dimel handled that question terribly in my opinion. Trying to be positive about UTEP stuff, but a new HC bringing up old faults from the previous head coach as a talking point at his first media day is pretty clueless in my eyes.

I really don’t see any problem with what he said in this interview. Did he take a shot at Kugler? Maybe/maybe not. Now I can’t find the quote online but didn’t Kugler call Price’s tenure at UTEP a “dumspter fire”?
At the end of the day Kugler sucked a fat one and he’s out the door. And I do agree with what he’s saying here. You have to be able to properly motivate your players, and Floyd and Kugler proved that you can’t have these wild mood swings because after a while it loses it’s appeal. To say he mishandled this question terribly is a massive overstatement.

I really don’t see any problem with what he said in this interview. Did he take a shot at Kugler? Maybe/maybe not. Now I can’t find the quote online but didn’t Kugler call Price’s tenure at UTEP a “dumspter fire”?
At the end of the day Kugler sucked a fat one and he’s out the door. And I do agree with what he’s saying here. You have to be able to properly motivate your players, and Floyd and Kugler proved that you can’t have these wild mood swings because after a while it loses it’s appeal. To say he mishandled this question terribly is a massive overstatement.
maybe I am being a cry baby, and nit picking, of course we all see things differently.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
Kugler took shots at the Price era too. That’s how the entire “if this ship is not turned around in four years I’ll walk away” thing started. As long as Dimel or any other coach backs up the talk with W’s I don’t mind the jabs at past failed experiments.

Hmmm ... Watched the video clip twice now, and still do not see/hear Coach Dimel taking a swipe at Sean Kugler, even thinly veiled. Not sure your core premise is correct. You might have missed the mark on this one, Roy.

Like so many Miners fans who feel jilted before, I take a wait-and-see approach on Dimel and his new staff. At the same time, however, I tend to favor the hire, especially with regard to:

(a.) Dimel's hiring of a mixed-aged staff, graybeards blending with young firebrands;

(b.) The staff's aggressive use of social media, where most 17- and 18-year-olds live;

(c.) The staff putting the UTEP brand back in front of high school and JuCo coaches where it had gone missing the past few years.

More on this in my next newsletter from training camp, including the screw-job Dimel took at U-Hou. But this guy has been successful before, most recently guiding a fairly lukewarm Kansas State offense to a bowl victory last December.

Reminder: Since the infamous "Wyoming 14" incident in which 14 black athletes were booted from the team in the late 1960s, Laramie has been a difficult place to win. But Dimel won there.

tumblr_n8ljztEacS1rlheeoo4_r1_250.gif

Nothing to see here, move along. Shut the thread down.

More on this in my next newsletter from training camp, including the screw-job Dimel took at U-Hou. But this guy has been successful before, most recently guiding a fairly lukewarm Kansas State offense to a bowl victory last December.

I cannot wait for your next newsletter bro! Should be outstanding. I will eagerly await for its arrival, like my “banning” that NattyBry threatened. Going on hour #5!

Reactions: El Paso 1
Trying to be positive about UTEP stuff, but a new HC bringing up old faults from the previous head coach as a talking point at his first media day is pretty clueless in my eyes.

In five seasons, almost to the bitter and predictable end, Sean Kugler never missed an opportunity to absolutely trash his predecessor. Like the current occupant of the White House. Karma.

As much as he he failed on the field, I will give David Lee credit in handling the media.

You know what was weird? The few nationally or regionally televised games that had national color and on field commentators Kugler was always professional and even keel. But yet come Monday morning, it appeared he needed 1000 mg of Metoprolol so he didn't pop a vein. That loss to NMSU was classic Kugler. The local press guys were crapping their pants after the game.

What a stupid thread! It's like I clicked on a Yahoo article and have to remind myself that their articles are garbage.

I don’t see it as a shot at Kugler. It’s like saying Dimel took a shot at Kugler because Dimel said he wants to move the football ,put points up on the board ,and win football games.

As much as he he failed on the field, I will give David Lee credit in handling the media.

You know what was weird? The few nationally or regionally televised games that had national color and on field commentators Kugler was always professional and even keel. But yet come Monday morning, it appeared he needed 1000 mg of Metoprolol so he didn't pop a vein. That loss to NMSU was classic Kugler. The local press guys were crapping their pants after the game.

Call it big market syndrome. Floyd was the same way. He was great with the Chicago and LA media. He didnt want to deal with questions from media members from a small market. Kugler was the same way to a lesser extent. He was great with national media. He was not so great with the local media, he just didnt seem to care. They both thought they were above questions or questioning from small market media.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I disagree with Roy on this one despite agreeing with him most of the time.

In this case, I think Roy is reading into Dimmels comments. The fact is that a College Football Coach's job is to be in front of the media, talk to the boosters, and create the culture. The X's and O's is mostly the coordinators.

Because Kugler did such a bad job at talking to the media, it was seen as a swipe when it was not.

Coach Dimmel could have said 100 things that could have been interpreted this way too. What if he said, "my goal is to bring the type of recruits that can help us win in C-USA". Is he insulting Kuglers recruiting? What if he said, "my goal is for us to average 31 points a game, I think if we can get to that number we'll win more games than lose". Is he saying that Kuglers offense is bad?

Call it big market syndrome. Floyd was the same way. He was great with the Chicago and LA media. He didnt want to deal with questions from media members from a small market. Kugler was the same way to a lesser extent. He was great with national media. He was not so great with the local media, he just didnt seem to care. They both thought they were above questions or questioning from small market media.
I totally believe it.

Hmmm ... Watched the video clip twice now, and still do not see/hear Coach Dimel taking a swipe at Sean Kugler, even thinly veiled. Not sure your core premise is correct. You might have missed the mark on this one, Roy.

Like so many Miners fans who feel jilted before, I take a wait-and-see approach on Dimel and his new staff. At the same time, however, I tend to favor the hire, especially with regard to:

(a.) Dimel's hiring of a mixed-aged staff, graybeards blending with young firebrands;

(b.) The staff's aggressive use of social media, where most 17- and 18-year-olds live;

(c.) The staff putting the UTEP brand back in front of high school and JuCo coaches where it had gone missing the past few years.

Reminder: Since the infamous "Wyoming 14" incident in which 14 black athletes were booted from the team in the late 1960s, Laramie has been a difficult place to win. But Dimel won there.
There are some on this board that I feel are fully qualified to make realistic judgements about the Dimel hire along with his attitude and outlook. I know that your sentiments are based on the reality of being there while some others have no clue. I have no reason to doubt the qualifications of Dimel and he's a winner in my book until proven otherwise..
As another poster said, I too am usually right there with Roy, but not this time. Let's give him a fair trial. Haven't even played a game yet.
Really anticipating your next newsletter.

Reactions: HeWore62
There are some on this board that I feel are fully qualified to make realistic judgements about the Dimel hire along with his attitude and outlook. I know that your sentiments are based on the reality of being there while some others have no clue. I have no reason to doubt the qualifications of Dimel and he's a winner in my book until proven otherwise..
As another poster said, I too am usually right there with Roy, but not this time. Let's give him a fair trial. Haven't even played a game yet.
Really anticipating your next newsletter.

You need not wait long, friends. Next Miners Are Forever newsletter, with a look at both Dimel and the administration, forthcoming on or about Aug. 10. {no charge}

Before I shoot holes in the ceiling, I need to see a few workouts, first-hand. Then I can stitch together the Dimel record with what my UTEP sources say and what my own eyes and ears tell me.

That's only fair, right?

You need not wait long, friends. Next Miners Are Forever newsletter, with a look at both Dimel and the administration, forthcoming on or about Aug. 10. {no charge}

Before I shoot holes in the ceiling, I need to see a few workouts, first-hand. Then I can stitch together the Dimel record with what my UTEP sources say and what my own eyes and ears tell me.

That's only fair, right?

Would you be able to see those workouts at camp ruidoso? Assuming they’ll be open of course (idk if the ones at glory field are open)?

That's only fair, right?
Fair but one sided. Interested in results, not assumptions.

That's only fair, right?

You can only report on what empirical data gives you from your field observations and sampling of questions from the staff (what they are willing to divulge too you) and those who are close to the program (media, AD staff, etc..). Stull is gone and Senter is dolling out a different brand of Kool Aid (more openness and transparency) so it would be interesting to see what you have to say.

It will be late November before we fully know the results. If you're interested only in results, you're suggesting we all take a powder.

Feel free to do so, my man, but I am disinclined to sit out until then. Conjecture is most of the fun. After all, it's what makes mothers-in-law.

Kugler was the master at putting down the previous staff. Kugler was a mess from day 1 and the worst thing to happen to UTEP football. But he's gone now and Dimel is the man in charge. We won't know truly for 2 years what he is doing good or bad here at UTEP. Our roster is in such bad shape it will take time to climb the conference ladder.

Reactions: KaneFan29
Kugler was the master at putting down the previous staff. Kugler was a mess from day 1 and the worst thing to happen to UTEP football. But he's gone now and Dimel is the man in charge. We won't know truly for 2 years what he is doing good or bad here at UTEP. Our roster is in such bad shape it will take time to climb the conference ladder.

Camp Ruidoso opens in about one week, so none of us can possibly know what might be in this new box of chocolates. As UTEP followers and ticket holders, we have license to speculate, right?

I try to withhold comment until after seeing these new coaches and their pilgrims on the practice field. Already, though, my spies tell me the two main areas of concerns are: (1.) LB, both quality and quantity; (2.) depth in the offensive line.

Second-hand sources say the new staff has been favorably impressed with athleticism and work ethic of the first five O-linemen. Here's where an injury or some other mishap, especially early in the season, could create a semi-mess.

Almost certainly you are right, DayDev, about the time needed for an 0-12 team to rally into contention in Conference USA. That would only be reasonable to expect.

However, I am told by sources close to the inner sanctum that the new staff has been pleasantly surprised by the commitment and high-character of the hold-overs. The UTEP roster, taken in its entirety, might not be as shoddy as we fear.

Dunno about you, amigos, but it has been too, too long since last college football season. Am eager to see the cards we have been dealt for 2018. Planning to release the next newsletter before the opener.

I agree with most of what Hewore 62 said. My only disagreement is I see our biggest weakness is at Tight end. I dont think there is a legit d1 tight end on the roster. The defense is really solid.

Last edited:
I agree with most of what Hewore 62 said. My only disagreement is I see our biggest is at Tight end. I dont think there is a legit d1 tight end on the roster. The defense is really solid.

I agree regarding the question at TE. The two TE's that we have are essentially large receivers and to this point neither have shown the ability to be quality blockers. I wonder if one of our Fullbacks Winston Dimel or Forrest McKee will have to be lined up at TE in certain running situations, just to give us the abilty to run block on the edge?

I agree with most of what Hewore 62 said. My only disagreement is I see our biggest is at Tight end. I dont think there is a legit d1 tight end on the roster. The defense is really solid.

Nodding in affirmation here, Minerforlife. My spies have leaked opinions on the interior five-only ... center (Derron Gatewood, a good one), two guards, two tackles ... but no reference to the TE.

I could have made that more clear, yes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT