ADVERTISEMENT

Do we want ttu to win a natty, or not?

I imagine i’ll Be in the minority, but I do. It’s not that I’m not proud of the distinction. I am. Hell, half of New Braunfels is now aware that UTEP is the only school in Texas to win a natty. Someone sees me in Miner regalia, decides to strike up conversation and then the education begins. And on and on it goes.

It’s just that we have been hanging our hat on this hook for so long that it hardly means anything to anyone outside of our diehard fan base, though.

I have family in Lubbock, grew up going to fb games from time to time and have always rooted for TT. I hope they win it all.

We need something new to be proud of anyway.

Hell to the no. If they do the sun will still rise. I just don't buy the "C' Mon Miner fans, we cheer for you" coming from local Tech alums.

Back in 2000 I went to a convention here in El Paso and there were thousands in attendance from all over Texas for a banquet dinner. The sponsor played the TAMU, UT and Tech fight songs to kick off the dinner. You could hear the grumbling of "and UTEP?!" from the convention floor. I personally was "WTF!".

This is the only occasion where I will put city over state. I’m a big fan of Texas teams. Most of us have the Texas vs the Nation mentality. Concerning the college basketball national championship, I would like to keep the distinction in El Paso for as long as we can.

I will say if any other P5 team from Texas was to win it all I would prefer TT over say A&M or Baylor or anyone else.

Not Tech. I usually dont get worked up over the 66 legacy, but under no circumstance do I want Tech to win.

There are seven schools in Texas that could win a national championship. Its inevitable it going to happen soon.

When it does I Hope its SMU, Houston. Baylor or TCU.

Not Tech. I usually dont get worked up over the 66 legacy, but under no circumstance do I want Tech to win.

There are seven schools in Texas that could win a national championship. Its inevitable it going to happen soon.

When it does I Hope its SMU, Houston. Baylor or TCU.
You had me excited then let me down like a police raid at a strip joint. LOL:p

It doesn't really matter to me whether Tech wins or not. Some day another Texas team is going to win a national championship in basketball. There are too many schools in this state that are now taking basketball seriously for one of them not to break through and take home a title. And when it happens, guess what? We will still have the national championship. They can't take it away. It will still hold it's cultural significance. You can't change history. We will still be the first team in the state to have ever won one, and by more than half a century. So let Tech win it this year. Or not. It makes no difference to me.

I didn't think they would but with the way cleared for them by Duke losing. Well, let's just say I'm getting my gifs ready.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Not a fan of Tech, but their team has grown on me just because of their players, their coach and most of all their style. Let's not forget they are doing all of this without their top recruit and after losing Z. Smith. I think it's a blueprint that UTEP can follow. After all, it wasn't long ago that UTEP was beating the likes of Tech and Houston. Look at them now.

UTEP had a chance to blow up in what would have been Barbie's 5th year, but it wasn't meant to be since UTEP is viewed as a stepping stone. If CRT can get us back to where we were in Barbie's 4th year, then UTEP admin needs to do everything in their power to keep it going because UTEP basketball is a sleeping giant in this city.

In the meantime, if Tech wins then they will deserve it. If not, then I will keep hoping that we see UTEP in the final 4 again soon!

Reactions: MinerMambo
If CRT can get us back to where we were in Barbie's 4th year, then UTEP admin needs to do everything in their power to keep it going because UTEP basketball is a sleeping giant in this city.
It seems (but we would know for sure by the time CRT gets us back to that point) that BCG has turned his life around with his second chance at life. I would be willing to give BCG a second look, maybe end his career here, when and if CRT decides to move on. If you asked me this a few years ago I would have said no way, but BCG seems to be making the most of his second chance and would at least be worthy of consideration (again, let's see if he continues on this course).

I didn't think they would but with the way cleared for them by Duke losing. Well, let's just say I'm getting my gifs ready.

giphy-downsized-large.gif
Duke was bound to lose, every game they won was close and they couldve easily loss each game if it wasnt for a last second miss by ucf or vt.

Yeah, I don’t get any El Pasoans or UTEP grads that would ever cheer for another TX school if they don’t have any affiliation with it (like they graduated from there or kids go there or something) - the rest of TX doesn’t give a shit about UTEP or El Paso- I went to Tech for a few years back in the day (but wisened up and finished at UTEP), lived in DFW for years now, and in Austin and San Antonio often- no love for us anywhere in this state, they all pretty much consider us Mexico/New Mexico and not TX!

NO

After the TT win, I heard on the national broadcast a reference to Moe Iba. What's the correlation since Moe never coached at TT?

I've placed my money on TT to win. UTEP was/will remain first. I don't have any particular allegiance to TT. I just think they will be the better team playing tonight.

This game reminds of the Utah UNC semi in '98. UNC was the heavy favorite and Andre Miller (whom UTEP fans knew well) took over and frustrated the bejeezus out of the Tar Heals. He played fearless and was a floor general. UNC players could see the game slip away and lost all composure and threw in a few cheap shots. UNC had Vince Carter but Miller was just too much for them.

My point is the team that keep composure will win and right now that that favors Virginia.

TT has elite defense. Best I've seen but they get away with a lot of grabbing and bumping. I don't know a lot about Virginia other than they've been ranked #1 for a loooonnnng time. Keys to beating Tech.
  1. Force them to guard you one on one with your best players and clear out the middle of the court. Let your players drive to the basket.
  2. Play zone on TT. Allow your team catch a breath. Don't play at TT pace because they'll wear you out.
  3. Spacing, spread the court so that they can't jump out at you without leaving a gaping hole

Tariq Owens has to play for Tech to have a chance. Not only does he have to play, he has to be mobile, both vertically and laterally. Curious how he’s coming along.

Not sure how he was even walking after that nasty ankle roll.

This game reminds of the Utah UNC semi in '98. UNC was the heavy favorite and Andre Miller (whom UTEP fans knew well) took over and frustrated the bejeezus out of the Tar Heals. He played fearless and was a floor general. UNC players could see the game slip away and lost all composure and threw in a few cheap shots. UNC had Vince Carter but Miller was just too much for them.

My point is the team that keep composure will win and right now that that favors Virginia.
Curious how you feel Virginia has composure edge over Tech. I see no evidence of that.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT