Don Haskins made the NCAAT by year 2.
Jason Rabedeaux NIT year 2
Billy Gilispie NCAAT year 2
Doc Sadler NCAAT year 1
Tony Barbee NCAAT year 4
Tim Floyd NIT year 1
Rodney Terry
Joe Golding

Prior to the Senter hires it wasn’t uncommon for UTEP basketball to see quick success.

Let’s see.

Don Haskins made the NCAAT by year 2.
Jason Rabedeaux NIT year 2
Billy Gilispie NCAAT year 2
Doc Sadler NCAAT year 1
Tony Barbee NCAAT year 4
Tim Floyd NIT year 1
Rodney Terry
Joe Golding

Prior to the Senter hires it wasn’t uncommon for UTEP basketball to see quick success.
Barbee took 4 years.

Last edited:
Jackson and Wolfram are missing. Never heard of Luke Martin or Darius Mattear.

I didn't realize Omega Harris was top 10 in scoring and steals and a career 39% 3 point shooter.
They were both Rab recruits. Luke barely even played. Mattear was on Gillispie’s tournament team.

I didn't realize Omega Harris was top 10 in scoring and steals and a career 39% 3 point shooter.

Luke Martin was either at Georgetown or we beat out Georgetown for him. He was an Australian PG who left here and played pro ball a long time in Aus. Mattear was similar to Onyema, a guy that would come in and could flat out fly.

Reactions: axingfools1
Luke Martin was either at Georgetown or we beat out Georgetown for him. He was an Australian PG who left here and played pro ball a long time in Aus. Mattear was similar to Onyema, a guy that would come in and could flat out fly.
Interesting. We're they top players at UTEP?

It may have been Tim Hardaway. This list is very extensive, but uses stats to rank players.
Julyan Stone played point for UTEP (all-time assist leader).

I would rank Omar Thomas above Vince Hunter. Maybe if Vince had stayed, he'd be top 5, but UTEP reached greater heights with OT. Being the leading scorer on back-to-back NCAA Tourney teams places OT clearly above Vince in my mind.

No Jeep Jackson?

I personally don’t agree with those rankings. Some players that I hadn’t heard of, some rated way too low, and others way too high.

Julyan Stone played point for UTEP (all-time assist leader).

I would rank Omar Thomas above Vince Hunter. Maybe if Vince had stayed, he'd be top 5, but UTEP reached greater heights with OT. Being the leading scorer on back-to-back NCAA Tourney teams places OT clearly above Vince in my mind.

No Jeep Jackson?
Antoine Gillespie at 32 is stupid. When he graduated he was the alltime scorer in UTEP history

Who was the highest rated recruit Haskins brought to Utep?

Also why didn't Utep capitalized after the 1966 win? It looks like in the 70s UTEP didn't do much winning. What it took until 1991 to get to the sweet 16?
Was Utep able to bring in highly recruited players after 1966? I would imagine every non white player would lineup to play for Utep? Did that not happen?
I believe the highest rated recruit was Chris Sandle

Reactions: kickballpro
I believe the highest rated recruit was Chris Sandle
It's hard to compare across eras. Velvet Jim (Bad News) Barnes was perhaps the most dominant collegiate player of his time. He chose UTEP because Haskins beat him at a free throw contest. My guess is CJG can beat the pants off his current team. My suggestion: pick guys who can beat you at foul shooting Joe.

It's hard to compare across eras. Velvet Jim (Bad News) Barnes was perhaps the most dominant collegiate player of his time. He chose UTEP because Haskins beat him at a free throw contest. My guess is CJG can beat the pants off his current team. My suggestion: pick guys who can beat you at foul shooting Joe.
I don’t disagree with that but am curious how he was ranked coming out of high school. Sandle was a McDonald’s All American.

I remember both players. DMat was a very athletic 6'4" or so forward. His problem is that while he had a great motor and athleticism, he lacked skills. He played a lot during BG's 1st season, and made a Sports Center top 10 highlight that year with a thunderous put back dunk. When Gillispie significantly upgraded the talent the following year DMat hardly ever saw the floor.

Martin, from Australia, was supposed to be a really good get when we signed him. He wasn't

I remember both players. DMat was a very athletic 6'4" or so forward. His problem is that while he had a great motor and athleticism, he lacked skills. He played a lot during BG's 1st season, and made a Sports Center top 10 highlight that year with a thunderous put back dunk. When Gillispie significantly upgraded the talent the following year DMat hardly ever saw the floor.

Martin, from Australia, was supposed to be a really good get when we signed him. He wasn't

I remember Mattear. I liked him. Solid player when he was here.

Reactions: Lil_Train
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT