ADVERTISEMENT

Duranguito demolition injunction lifted, reissued

The neighborhood, as was most of the buildings downtown and around the neighborhood, was created by "Gringos" in the late 19th to early 20th century, but yet they want to preserve it to avoid it from becoming "Gringolandia"?
Jose_R._Rodriguez.jpg

The irony.

With the backing of money, the courts can be manipulated, simple.

That dump is only thing saving us from building a already obsolete money pit arena. They should tear down those buildings but not for an arena we don’t need
Don’t want to debate the usefulness of the arena, but the time and money spent has already rendered it obsolete. The million(?) spent cause of that idiot Grossman has again screwed El Paso.

Wouldn't it be funny of the whole thing fell apart and a Starbucks opens up there? The cheapest cup of Joe at Starbucks is $1.55 when abuelita buys her classic for $1.00 and that has to last almost a month until her next SS check arrives.

nescafe.jpg

Don’t want to debate the usefulness of the arena, but the time and money spent has already rendered it obsolete. The million(?) spent cause of that idiot Grossman has again screwed El Paso.

That’s true, but maybe next time the city will be straightforward with their wording and people like Grossman won’t have outs. Lesson learned.

That’s true, but maybe next time the city will be straightforward with their wording and people like Grossman won’t have outs. Lesson learned.
If it does go forward, I'll be waiting for that citizen that went on TV against the then proposed knock down of city hall for the ball park...."IT DOESN'T FIT!". Seriously, that was his main argument.

Reactions: Cube Jack
There has to be another reason for this Grossman guy to fight this much. Is there something they are hiding in those buildings or construction site??

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Starbucks will open a store anywhere basically.

Second, part of the argument for NOT tearing down the old buildings are the occupants who can not afford to live elsewhere because they are older and live on a fixed income (social security) so they buy the cheaper coffee and make it last a longer time.

Are you with me so far?

This thing is tied up in court. The city can not afford to keep this battle up forever and that's what Grossman is hoping for since he has deep pockets backing him. So what then?

Part of one building in Duranguito is partially torn down, so the "cost to cure" is not worth fixing, so lease out the land.

Starbucks, but mostly your dollar stores, come in and put bids and if they win, they raze it, dump it and put in "tilt wall" construction (low cost commercial/retail construction) and stick an "Open" sign soon after.

So my point is, who gets shafted in the end? The occupants mainly, who didn't take the money and run.

Starbucks will open a store anywhere basically.

Second, part of the argument for NOT tearing down the old buildings are the occupants who can not afford to live elsewhere because they are older and live on a fixed income (social security) so they buy the cheaper coffee and make it last a longer time.

Are you with me so far?

This thing is tied up in court. The city can not afford to keep this battle up forever and that's what Grossman is hoping for since he has deep pockets backing him. So what then?

Part of one building in Duranguito is partially torn down, so the "cost to cure" is not worth fixing, so lease out the land.

Starbucks, but mostly your dollar stores, come in and put bids and if they win, they raze it, dump it and put in "tilt wall" construction (low cost commercial/retail construction) and stick an "Open" sign soon after.

So my point is, who gets shafted in the end? The occupants mainly, who didn't take the money and run.
Starbucks actually does studies to see traffic flow for potential business. It's strategic. They know what they are doing. Sure, some stores will fail, but ALL big businesses have failures. (including some of Trumps)
No one lives in durangarito anymore, so the second part of your statement doesn't even apply anymore.

Bottom line....this is stupid and should stop

Reactions: minerfan_14
Good deal. Hopefully it will all be gone when we wake up tomorrow
"Despite the court’s decision, the city’s demolition permit remains suspended."
Durangito will be there tomorrow morning. It seems like when one hurdle gets cleared, another one is always waiting.

Reactions: axingfools1
"Despite the court’s decision, the city’s demolition permit remains suspended."
Durangito will be there tomorrow morning. It seems like when one hurdle gets cleared, another one is always waiting.
That can be renewed, reactivated, whatever, expeditiously.

Demolition ban back in place...."Judge Garcia's order states that plans to study the site do not take into account a newly discovered Mescalero Apache peace establishment tracing back to the late 1700s. There are new claims that nearly 1,000 Apache men, women and children lived where the neighborhood is today. "
https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/n...olition-ban-downtown-neighborhood/3900199002/
Are these judges corrupt?(which interests are they serving?) Dense? Or what?

This is beyond ridiculous at this point. At this point I just want Duranguito to be bulldozed solely as a F-you to Grossman and his legal team.

Honest question here as I have not lived in EP for many, many years: What do Grossman and his associates have to gain from this? Nobody goes thru this much trouble and expense for nothing. What's his end-game?

Honest question here as I have not lived in EP for many, many years: What do Grossman and his associates have to gain from this? Nobody goes thru this much trouble and expense for nothing. What's his end-game?

he claims that he has some investors who will transform the area into a tourist attraction. Aside from the historical issues with the site

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Rent. Their income stream and collateral.

Last edited:
Reactions: TxRdKiller
I know it will be hard for some of you to believe but Max has nothing to gain financially from this. He is an Art History professor and preserving history is the most important thing to him. I by no means agree with him. He loves history as much or more than anyone in here loves UTEP and sports in general.

I know it will be hard for some of you to believe but Max has nothing to gain financially from this. He is an Art History professor and preserving history is the most important thing to him. I by no means agree with him. He loves history as much or more than anyone in here loves UTEP and sports in general.
It's also personal. He had a very public divorce with historical committee that was laundered on local radio and web.

City/Citizens need to get on offense .
1. If Mr Grossman has used university of Texas at El Paso resources to foster his outside groups claims in any filing against the city, he should be held accountable by the university.
2. A counter non-profit group needs to formed to address endless and frivolous legal battles brought about by this groups actions. The need to seek taxpayer relief through class action or countersuits. The city needs to explore this as well, we all have been harmed by incurring legal fees added to your tax bill. Money which could go for police, parks and even the arena itself. The city needs to provide a line item on the budget to list all costs incurred from this fight and seek to recover this or let the taxpayers do so.
3. The groups plan for preservation has never been addressed in court, if they have a plan will they receive benefit from it? if so this is becomes a very different case in the eyes of the court. It is not about preservation but about profit and who benefits economically.
4. Companies who have been contracted by the city have been harmed by these endless delays and need to seek legal relief in some form, it cost time and resources for a company and a city to place contracts on hold. The city then needs to seek to recover the costs through legal means.
5. The preservation group needs to be examined by a court, are they really a citizen action group or a small group (or single person) who receive the majority of funding from a single source, which will alter the perception of the court in favor of the city.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT