ADVERTISEMENT

Eric Vila

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
I like how he plays. He is like Uteps version of the Gasol brothers. Hopefully gets a little stronger and plays down low some.

Do yall think he plays for the spainish team in Olympics?? Gasol brothers and Rubio are getting old.

I like how he plays. He is like Uteps version of the Gasol brothers. Hopefully gets a little stronger and plays down low some.

Do yall think he plays for the spainish team in Olympics?? Gasol brothers and Rubio are getting old.
Yes. He was on the U19 team, which I know does NOT mean a straight line to a spot on the roster, but he has international experience and american collegiate experience. His rebounding is text book great and his defense is good, not great, but good.

Yes. He was on the U19 team, which I know does NOT mean a straight line to a spot on the roster, but he has international experience and american collegiate experience. His rebounding is text book great and his defense is good, not great, but good.

His passing is great. Those Spaniards know how to pass. Ive seen some of his passes and its great to see a big man that can pass.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Not the typical center, but more of a stretch 4. Good passer (except when breaking the press at half court), good shooter and perimeter defender. Attacks the rim on occasion.

Needs to get stronger with rebounding. Poor back side help and rim protection on defense, but this should get better with his height and athleticism as he learns, get stronger and becomes more confident.

I wonder how we would look with some minutes at the 3 in a bigger lineup (Odigie, Williams and Vila).

I wonder how we would look with some minutes at the 3 in a bigger lineup (Odigie, Williams and Vila).

This is a frontcourt lineup that I've wanted to see play some minutes together since game one. Williams has the quickness to play the 3, and this big frontcourt would certainly give teams problems. Unfortunately Willams' penchant for committing fouls requires that we keep Efe available as his backup. Plus Efe has a knack for committing fouls as well. If Bryson and Efe ever learn to keep their fouls under control the lineup of Vila-Odigie-Willams will be very tough for teams to deal with.

I would love to see this starting lineup
PG Lathon
SG Edwards
SF Williams
PF Vila
C Odigie

I think it would cause matchup problems for most teams we face in conference play.

PG Lathon
SG Edwards
SF Williams
PF Vila
C Odigie

I think it would cause matchup problems for most teams we face in conference play.
The other teams would counter with small ball and create foul problems for UTEP. The days of multiple bigs are almost gone. I say that because Odigie and Vila don't have the foot speed to keep up with smaller lineups. Today's game is all about getting open looks at the 3.

PG Lathon
SG Edwards
SF Williams
PF Vila
C Odigie

Well, switch Boum and Odigie and that's already the current starting five so that lineup isn't too far fetched to be seen at some point in the game

PG Lathon
SG Edwards
SF Williams
PF Vila
C Odigie

Agree but switch Vila and Williams. Vila is a perimeter player and unlike Williams is poor at defending the rim.

I still think our lineup by conference time will be
Lathon
Edwards
Archie
Williams
Vila

Odigie, Boum, Hawkins
Verhoeven, Stroud and Tarke

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
i always thought that it was sketchy that Vila always played his first year, even when he was terrible and then disappeared off the face of the earth his second year. i still think Terry recruited players by making promises to high school and AAU coaches that certain players would receive a specific ammount of playing time or be automatic starters if they came to UTEP. maybe the deal was for like one year. no evidence for this, but i just dont have any other explanation for Terry's rotations, substitute patterns and player selection. unless he was incompetent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT