ADVERTISEMENT

Evan Gilyard and Kobe Magee both gone

Whatever the reason, it's D1 basketball no one said it's fair. Sometimes the kid screws a school sometimes a school screws the kid. Those two are still going to play basketball and get a free education, sorry I'm not sorry. If Terry feels this decision was best for Orange and Blue, then so be it. If we are back in the NCAA next year or the following then no one is going to question this. Get over it and let's get this program going again!

Whatever the reason, it's D1 basketball no one said it's fair. Sometimes the kid screws a school sometimes a school screws the kid. Those two are still going to play basketball and get a free education, sorry I'm not sorry. If Terry feels this decision was best for Orange and Blue, then so be it. If we are back in the NCAA next year or the following then no one is going to question this. Get over it and let's get this program going again!

When the candidates for the head coaching position were announced I said that Coach Terry was my favorite. I reacted with enthusiasm when he was hired. I think that he has the team headed in the right direction, and believe that there is a strong chance that the next two years will be something special. I will be cheering for him and the team.

That said, I don't believe that anyone, including a UTEP coach that I may like and support, is above criticism when he does something that I feel is wrong. And, in my opinion, convincing two 19 year old kids to stay with the program instead of transferring, then dumping them one year later in order to make room for new recruits, is wrong, whether other schools are doing it or not.

Last edited:
When the candidates for the head coaching position were announced I said that Coach Terry was my favorite. I reacted with enthusiasm when he was hired. I think that he has the team headed in the right direction, and believe that there is a strong chance that the next two years will be something special. I will be cheering for him and the team.

That said, I don't believe that anyone, including a UTEP coach that I my like and support, is above criticism when he does something that I feel is wrong. And, in my opinion, convincing two 19 year old kids to stay with the program instead of transferring, then dumping them one year later in order to make room for new recruits, is wrong, whether other schools are doing it or not.
Well said, but I think you are assuming that Terry convinced them to stay in the first place. I don't recall but did he say that he convinced them? Maybe I am wrong, but it is possible they just didn't want to sit out the year and wanted to get playing time. Maybe they really thought they could be a part of the rebuild. Who knows. Anyway, kudos to the players for moving along in a very polite fashion and good luck to them both!

Well said, but I think you are assuming that Terry convinced them to stay in the first place. I don't recall but did he say that he convinced them? Maybe I am wrong, but it is possible they just didn't want to sit out the year and wanted to get playing time. Maybe they really thought they could be a part of the rebuild. Who knows. Anyway, kudos to the players for moving along in a very polite fashion and good luck to them both!

I obviously wasn't there, but I assume that Coach Terry talked them into staying, rather than transferring like the rest of the underclassmen Floyd players. Personally, if you're going transfer, I think that the end if your freshman year is the best time to do it. You have the option of transferring to another Div 1 university and sitting out a year, or going to a JUCO where you don't have to sit, and then can transfer to a Div 1 school the following year. Now that they're done with their sophomore year, Kobe and Evan have no choice but to sit out next season.

I do agree with you about Kobe and Evan. Kudos to them for handling the situation with such class.

I don’t understand what you meant under the Floyd part but ok.

Basically all I got out of the rest is that Gilyard who’s a good upperclassmen baller with loyalty and commitment to both UTEP and Terry gets a big F U to make room for the freshman class.
Thank you!

CRT convinced Evan to stay! Evan was leaving last year. He needs room for his players next year and that was evident starting in conference play. Evan, wasn't even the 1st, 2nd or 3rd option in scoring. And still lead the team in scoring. He set Evan in the corner on offense.
But he made the decision to leave he was loyal to UTEP bc he wanted to win. Evan is a great youngman and basketball player he will be succesful.

Reactions: MINER.JAY

That said, I don't believe that anyone, including a UTEP coach that I may like and support, is above criticism when he does something that I feel is wrong. And, in my opinion, convincing two 19 year old kids to stay with the program instead of transferring, then dumping them one year later in order to make room for new recruits, is wrong, whether other schools are doing it or not.
This is ABSOLUTELY what happened. keep it 100.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT