ADVERTISEMENT

FB on the way....you just might like this bit of info.

I think we need a good P5 coach that needs a new start for whatever reason (ala Price). Someone that can recruit on name alone and is offensive minded. Then when success happens we MUST build on it, not throw it away.
That sounds nice but what are the chances we can buyout our HC at the same time a P5 coach is ruining their name?

I think a name similar to McElwin, Dykes, Holtz, etc is our most realistic opportunity.

Reactions: TXPrepMiner02
That sounds nice but what are the chances we can buyout our HC at the same time a P5 coach is ruining their name?

I think a name similar to McElwin, Dykes, Holtz, etc is our most realistic opportunity.

McElwain makes $1.6 million a year. Why would the others leaves their jobs and come to UTEP?

I said it before and I like the idea of a young up and coming assistant who has something to prove.

I can agree to a has-been P5 (in a good way) coach. I personally would love to see some offense as opposed to the run-into-the-line 3 times and punt offense that's been in place.

I say a young coach because if he came in and turn a 2-36 team into 4-8 or dare I say 6-6, that coach will get his chance and money fast. But I wouldn't be disappointed with a coach like Holtz.

It's a major disappointment regarding Dimel's salary. Man the more I look into the hire and the results, makes me even more depressed.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
McElwain makes $1.6 million a year. Why would the others leaves their jobs and come to UTEP?

I said it before and I like the idea of a young up and coming assistant who has something to prove.
Do more research. His base salary at CMU is less than what we pay Dimel. He makes that much because of his buyout at Florida.

One name that comes to mind for me is Dale Lindsey at the University of San Diego. He has been highly successful at the FCS level especially with SDSU as the big brother and the proximity to the big LA schools. Unfortunately he is 77, so no way he'd move to ELP from San Diego.

Because of that, I'd keep an eye on Bobby Jay who has been the defensive coordinator the past 2 yrs. USD ranked first in scoring defense in the conference, allowing 17.6 points per game. The team also finished second in total defense and rush defense, first in pass defense efficiency. He was the recruiting coordinator from 2015-2017.

So why would he come to UTEP? Doesn't make sense.
The point is to hire a coach like that after they’re fired from a P5 job. That’s how CMU got him. Instead of hiring someone who hadn’t coach in 20 years we hire someone with success at the G5 level but failed at a P5 school. I really wouldn’t call 22-12 at Florida as a failure.

The point is to hire a coach like that after they’re fired from a P5 job. That’s how CMU got him. Instead of hiring someone who hadn’t coach in 20 years we hire someone with success at the G5 level but failed at a P5 school. I really wouldn’t call 22-12 at Florida as a failure.

Price was an anomaly. Those types of coaches are not coming here.

Central Michigan is a much better job than UTEP.

One name that comes to mind for me is Dale Lindsey at the University of San Diego. He has been highly successful at the FCS level especially with SDSU as the big brother and the proximity to the big LA schools. Unfortunately he is 77, so no way he'd move to ELP from San Diego.

Because of that, I'd keep an eye on Bobby Jay who has been the defensive coordinator the past 2 yrs. USD ranked first in scoring defense in the conference, allowing 17.6 points per game. The team also finished second in total defense and rush defense, first in pass defense efficiency. He was the recruiting coordinator from 2015-2017.
I had my eye on Houston. A head coach that had made back to back FCS championship games. Senter discovered him from the D2 ranks at the Cidatel. I’m sure he offered him his first shot at a FBS job with UTEP. He’s not here and at one point accepted a job offer from Charlotte. Are we really that bad that a coach with a connection to our AD would rather spurn us for a conference team that didn’t even exist five-seven years ago?

I had my eye on Houston. A head coach that had made back to back FCS championship games. Senter discovered him from the D2 ranks at the Cidatel. I’m sure he offered him his first shot at a FBS job with UTEP. He’s not here and at one point accepted a job offer from Charlotte. Are we really that bad that a coach with a connection to our AD would rather spurn us for a conference team that didn’t even exist five-seven years ago?

Short answer is: yes, yes we are. We suck more than the vacuum of space.

Reactions: Autograph Boy

We definitely suck and with Dimel at the helm im afraid almost certainly it will continue. However, the prior three coaches all had winning season and bowl games. You can win at UTEP. What we haven't been able to do is sustain success. That's the missing and most important part. We've never fully funded football. We don't need to blow out the budgets just fund it at an appropriate level.

With Houston we were very unlucky. If Wilson had been president at the time of the coaching search Mike Houston would be the UTEP football coach.

One of the above comments that's Mike Price was a anomaly is ridiculous. He was a disgraced coach who got a second chance at UTEP. No disgraced coach is going to turn down UTEP. If they offered Art Briles, DJ Durkin or Tracy Claeys the job they would except it in two seconds.

We definitely suck and with Dimel at the helm im afraid almost certainly it will continue. However, the prior three coaches all had winning season and bowl games. You can win at UTEP. What we haven't been able to do is sustain success. That's the missing and most important part. We've never fully funded football. We don't need to blow out the budgets just fund it at an appropriate level.

With Houston we were very unlucky. If Wilson had been president at the time of the coaching search Mike Houston would be the UTEP football coach.

One of the above comments that's Mike Price was a anomaly is ridiculous. He was a disgraced coach who got a second chance at UTEP. No disgraced coach is going to turn down UTEP. If they offered Art Briles, DJ Durkin or Tracy Claeys the job they would except it in two seconds.

Tracy Claeys isn't Mike Price. Mike Price was college coach of the year. Claeys was a head coach for 2 seasons.

Durkin makes more as an assistant than he would at UTEP. Why would he come here?

I know that is a football thread, but if UTEP offered Pitino the head coaching job he would take it in 2 seconds?

Tracy Claeys isn't Mike Price. Mike Price was college coach of the year. Claeys was a head coach for 2 seasons.

Durkin makes more as an assistant than he would at UTEP. Why would he come here?

I wouldnt want Durkin, but he would jump at the chance because no one else is going to hire him as a head coach.

Mike Price was a national coach of the year but no one would have hired him if we hadn't. He tried to leave UTEP for Arizona State, Washington State, ole miss and Syracuse. No one wanted him. Once Nord's players left his tenure went downhill and he was stuck in El Paso.

That’s why I don’t trust a rookie hc. As hungry as they may be I don’t think learning on the job is the way to go for our hc position.

I wouldnt want Durkin, but he would jump at the chance because no one else is going to hire him as a head coach.

Mike Price was a national coach of the year but no one would have hired him if we hadn't. He tried to leave UTEP for Arizona State, Washington State, ole miss and Syracuse. No one wanted him. Once Nord's players left his tenure went downhill and he was stuck in El Paso.

Why would Durkin come here when he can make more as an assistant at a SEC school?

That's where my post from yesterday offers a way for the administration to shake up a few more bucks. An Athletic fee is a no go cause the students would riot. But yes, football needs a chance to be fully funded. The excuses for not doing so lack any kind of logic.

I was going to bring up Art Briles yesterday cause at this point what does UTEP have to lose? I also would take the other names in a heartbeat as well. The issue is, the administration does not want the media storm of hiring a coach in Briles who was involved in a pretty toxic scandal. But Briles makes the most sense as he recruited Texas well and had an explosive offense.

That’s why I don’t trust a rookie hc. As hungry as they may be I don’t think learning on the job is the way to go for our hc position.

I can agree to an extent to this point JC. However, a young HC would be more cost efficient compared to the like of Briles or Durkin.

And Autograph, basketball is a much easier sport to coach and manage: 90+ athletes versus 15, coaching staffs are bigger in FB than MBB. I dont disagree that those coaches were successful rookie coaches but it's a different animal. Football is the main money maker so a bit more pressure too.

I can agree to an extent to this point JC. However, a young HC would be more cost efficient compared to the like of Briles or Durkin.

And Autograph, basketball is a much easier sport to coach and manage: 90+ athletes versus 15, coaching staffs are bigger in FB than MBB. I dont disagree that those coaches were successful rookie coaches but it's a different animal. Football is the main money maker so a bit more pressure too.
I really believe our problem is trying to save money. We need to offer a competitive salary that draws a proven experienced hc. We’ve tried the “mas con menos” route. Defund Terry and add it to the football salary. You’ll be surprised what kind of names would be interested with a million dollar plus a year contract.

I wouldn't say It's easier. A basketball head coach takes the bulk of the blame. With football the coordinators are also blamed along with the head coach.

I really believe our problem is trying to save money. We need to offer a competitive salary that draws a proven experienced hc. We’ve tried the “mas con menos” route. Defund Terry and add it to the football salary. You’ll be surprised what kind of names would be interested with a million dollar plus a year contract.

But UTEP is a basketball school.

I know that. All I am saying is I think it's better to go with an up and coming assistant vs. an older coach.
Which up and coming football assistants has UTEP hired that were successful? Our history is filled with failed attempts at trying to find the next Saban.

UTEP could be successful with either a fired P5 coach or an up and coming assistant. You hope the P5 guy is successful and falls in love with the city or something. You hope the young assistant leaves a successor and they’re able to keep the ball rolling.

Hiring OL coaches from the NFL and guys who haven’t been HC for 15 years ain’t it.

He would have done well if would have coached at UTEP in 2004 and beyond. He won a WAC Championship in his first year.
If he’s such a good coach then why hasn’t anyone hired him as a hc? You named Billy who went from UTEP to Texas A&M, Sadler from UTEP to Nebraska, Barbee from UTEP to Auburn. Which up and coming football assistants has UTEP hired that was hired by a P5 after a successful stint at UTEP?

No doubt about that. He brought in Tyler Ebell and Marcus Thomas too. I don’t think they would have come here to play for Nord. Price was the right hire, we just kept him too damn long.

True, but Nord did recruit Higgins and Palmer.

Price was the right hire, but I think Nord would have done the same, or better, as Price did in 2004 and 2005.

If he’s such a good coach then why hasn’t anyone hired him as a hc? You named Billy who went from UTEP to Texas A&M, Sadler from UTEP to Nebraska, Barbee from UTEP to Auburn. Which up and coming football assistants has UTEP hired that was hired by a P5 after a successful stint at UTEP?

In the 5 year after UTEP Gillespie made it to the NCAA 3 times (one sweet 16) and the NIT quarterfinals twice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT