ADVERTISEMENT

FB on the way....you just might like this bit of info.

Everyone from the 05 wac except NMSU found a home in either cusa or MW. Why wouldn’t we?

If you could back in time you could see there was panic. Everyone was trying to find a way out. At the time getting into CUSA was a great move by Stull.

It would have been all good if the athletic department could have built solid programs. Letting the football program erode and turning down the MWC twice will always be the decisions that define the Stull era.

Reactions: axingfools1
As someone who attended all games in my tenure at Kyle Field, that crowd is nowhere near the loudness and rowdiness of a packed Sun Bowl. And I even attended the games against the T-Sips and not even close.

Sounds like someone who went to school in Franchione era.

If you could back in time you could see there was panic. Everyone was trying to find a way out. At the time getting into CUSA was a great move by Stull.

It would have been all good if the athletic department could have built solid programs. Letting the football program erode and turning down the MWC twice will always be the decisions that define the Stull era.

Stull deserves a lot of the blame. However, he was listening to the fans. How many times do you see this phrase “Who else are we going to get?” Every damn time, a coach’s performance is questioned and possibly firing him is brought up, we see that question.

When some of us wanted Price fired, we would get that question. “We’re not going to get anyone better!” “It’s better to go 4-8 than 2-10” “He scores points and the games are exciting”. And fans still went to games, so Stull had no reason to fire him.

Kugler comes along and has a boring offense and ends up sucking worse than Price. So then we get “See, should have kept Price, at least his teams scored”. Same went for Floyd, “Who are we going to get that’s better than him?”

Blame Stull all you want, but the fans have as much to do with our current state as he does. Fans don’t win games, but they keep coaches employed and the status quo going.

Reactions: Autograph Boy

Not arguing, I just don't remember... did UTEP turn down offers? I remember hearing a lot of rumors about UTEP getting an invite that eventually went to San Jose State. Don't recall the other 'offer'.

Not arguing, I just don't remember... did UTEP turn down offers? I remember hearing a lot of rumors about UTEP getting an invite that eventually went to San Jose State. Don't recall the other 'offer'.

The first one was the WAC folded in summer of 2010. We were invited to the MWC and chose to say in CUSA. The second was the summer of 2012 after the proposed CUSA mwc merger fell apart earlier that year. The MWC made a second run at UTEP and again we turned them down.

The first one was the WAC folded in summer of 2010. We were invited to the MWC and chose to say in CUSA. The second was the summer of 2012 after the proposed CUSA mwc merger fell apart earlier that year. The MWC made a second run at UTEP and again we turned them down.

WAC football didn’t fold until April 2012.

When Boise State announced they were leaving in 2010 the conference was dead. The Wac lasted a few more season but Boise was the fatal blow to the WAC and started g5 realignment.

No they weren’t. Dead is your opinion. As LaTech, Hawaii, Utah St, San Jose St, all left after 2010. Not to mention UTSA and Texas St also joined the WAC after that. So they didn’t fold and being “dead” is your (wrong) opinion.

As someone who attended all games in my tenure at Kyle Field, that crowd is nowhere near the loudness and rowdiness of a packed Sun Bowl. And I even attended the games against the T-Sips and not even close.

No disputing; one of the highest on record.

But really?! Did you not say you are a grad of UTEP a few days a go, is that correct?

Reactions: TXPrepMiner02
Again, not true. Even after Boise left, BYU was going to park their non-football sports in the WAC. It wasn’t until the MWC invited Nevada and Fresno, did the WAC start it’s demise.

BYU had agreed to join the WAC. Carl Benson had saved the WAC. He called Bob Stull and told him BYU was in and La Tech was committed and that he wanted UTEP back. Stull got off the call with Benson and immediately called Rudy Davalos the then AD of New Mexico to let him know what's going on. He then called Craig Thompson who reacted and killed everything. If Benson doesnt call Stull and Invite UTEP the WAC would still be alive and viable.

Last edited:
BYU had agreed to join the WAC. Carl Benson had saved the WAC. He called Bob Stull and told him BYU was in and La Tech was committed and that he wanted UTEP back. Stull got off the call with Benson and immediately called Rudy Davalos the then AD of New Mexico to let him know what's going on. He then called Craig Thompson who reacted and killed everything. If Benson doesnt call Stull and Invite UTEP the WAC would still be alive and viable.

You said Boise’s departure “crippled the WAC”, doesn’t sound like they were very crippled if BYU was close to joining now does it?

You said Boise’s departure “crippled the WAC”, doesn’t sound like they were very crippled if BYU was close to joining now does it?

The WAC was on death watch for years. Everyone knew Boise was going to leave and everyone else would be scurrying to find a conference home. That's why I along with the vast majority of Miner fans were happy we got out before the boat sank. Boise leaving was the piece that lead the WAC's instability that it never shook.

The WAC was on death watch for years. Everyone knew Boise was going to leave and everyone else would be scurrying to find a conference home. That's why I along with the vast majority of Miner fans were happy we got out before the boat sank. Boise leaving was the piece that lead the WAC's instability that it never shook.

Now you’re changing your terminology. Boise leaving lead to their instability. A few posts ago, when they left, it crippled the WAC. Even though a strong program like BYU was set to join for basketball and setup a scheduling alliance like ND has with the ACC.

Still waiting on those dates that LaTech, SJSU, and USU announced they were leaving the WAC.

Still waiting on those dates that LaTech, SJSU, and USU announced they were leaving the WAC.

On May 2, 2012, San Jose St and Utah St left the WAC to join the MWC for the 2013-14 school year. LaTech left to join CUSA on May 4, 2012. So after the WAC “folded in 2010” according to @Minerforlife, those 3 schools somehow stayed there for another 2 years before announcing they would leave a year later.

In 2010 after Boise St left many schools declined invitations to the wac. Including Montana, UC Davis and UNT. Two years later the wac football was dead.

Benson thought he could convince BYU, UNLV, and San Diego St to return but he couldn’t even convince a sun belt school like UNT or fcs schools to jump ship. It was a complete pipe dream. He also wanted to trade LT to CUSA for UTEP. Stull thankfully said no thank you and blew up Benson’s fairy tale conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT