ADVERTISEMENT

FB on the way....you just might like this bit of info.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Nope. He signed during the 2017 season, when they made the bowl game. Up until then there was no assurance he would be back for 2018. So yeah, other schools used that against him.

https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sp...in-new-mexico-state-football-coach/714523001/
We were talking about the last time NMSU was in conference was the last time they won a bowl game which was 2017.

You said...

No context. NMSU didn’t extend his contract and they had no signees throughout that season because of it. Schools used his lame duck status against them. They do win games, they beat CUSA member UTEP.

Which is it did he or did he not sign a contract extension in 2017 prior to them going independent?

You said “they don’t win games since going Indy”. That’s when I responded to the “No context”. As their last season in the SBC, they went to the bowl game and up until their 2-2 record that same season, they had not extended his contract. So up until September of 2017, they did not have signees for 2018, which you said they stopped winning games. Get it? So because he wasn’t for sure coaching beyond 2017, he got a late start for 2018 and beyond.

That’s an example of being forced backwards. Uab didn’t volunteer to shut their program down or volunteer to leave cusa for independence and the south land.

Hey JCorona, I agree with you that UAB was forced backwards due to U of Alabama system shutting off funding for the program. Even though it was forced, it literally took the program to the studs and had to be rebuilt. Since then, UAB has in fact won a conference title and is getting a new stadium built (Protective Stadium).

Meanwhile, UTEP cannot get a few "luxury" boxes made and has the avg attendance to which Kidd Field may be a better home field for the FB team.

Whether UTEP stays in CUSA, goes independent, whatever; nothing will solve any problems for this athletic department other than winning. I prefer that UTEP stays in the ever crappy CUSA conference.

You said “they don’t win games since going Indy”. That’s when I responded to the “No context”. As their last season in the SBC, they went to the bowl game and up until their 2-2 record that same season, they had not extended his contract. So up until September of 2017, they did not have signees for 2018, which you said they stopped winning games. Get it? So because he wasn’t for sure coaching beyond 2017, he got a late start for 2018 and beyond.
Got it! So what’s his excuse for last year? You would thing that a coach entering his 7th year should do better than just beating UTEP and an FCS team.

Got it! So what’s his excuse for last year? You would thing that a coach entering his 7th year should do better than just beating UTEP and and FCS team.

Who cares? You were saying that because they’re Indy, they suck. I was simply saying they don’t suck because they’re Indy.

That’s what happens when you make poor hiring and contract extensions. Sucks for them, but they’re still better than us.

Hey JCorona, I agree with you that UAB was forced backwards due to U of Alabama system shutting off funding for the program. Even though it was forced, it literally took the program to the studs and had to be rebuilt. Since then, UAB has in fact won a conference title and is getting a new stadium built (Protective Stadium).

Meanwhile, UTEP cannot get a few "luxury" boxes made and has the avg attendance to which Kidd Field may be a better home field for the FB team.

Whether UTEP stays in CUSA, goes independent, whatever; nothing will solve any problems for this athletic department other than winning. I prefer that UTEP stays in the ever crappy CUSA conference.
There’s a difference between being left out and willingly wanting to be left out. If we had stayed in the WAC back in 05 and now we found ourselves independent and playing wac ball I wouldn’t have a problem with it. To throw the entire athletic department into turmoil to chase a few cheap basketball titles is absurd.

Who cares? You were saying that because they’re Indy, they suck. I was simply saying they don’t suck because they’re Indy.

That’s what happens when you make poor hiring and contract extensions. Sucks for them, but they’re still better than us.
But above you said

But it’s much better to continuously hire the worst coaches and lose to NMSU instead of doing that!

you really do want our ceiling to be NMSU, when I know we can be much better.

I and others have brought up that very point to several cheerleaders on this board and they never have an answer for how UAB is successful, but UTEP isn’t. It’s always Kugler did this, drug cartels, Juarez, Stull. Somehow it’s better to kill a program and not even play, than it is to be UTEP.

Again, I am not saying that UTEP should go join up with NMSU, as I would need true numbers to look at. But it’s obvious that UTEP can’t compete in watered down CUSA. CUSA can have the best G5 bowl games and whatever, but if you don’t win games, it doesn’t fvckin matter.

I and others have brought up that very point to several cheerleaders on this board and they never have an answer for how UAB is successful, but UTEP isn’t. It’s always Kugler did this, drug cartels, Juarez, Stull. Somehow it’s better to kill a program and not even play, than it is to be UTEP.

Again, I am not saying that UTEP should go join up with NMSU, as I would need true numbers to look at. But it’s obvious that UTEP can’t compete in watered down CUSA. CUSA can have the best G5 bowl games and whatever, but if you don’t win games, it doesn’t fvckin matter.
This region lacks fbs talent. The few good players we have don’t want to play for a 1 win team. That’s why nmsu and UNM struggle too. Combine it with bad hires and it’s a recipe for failure.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
This region lacks fbs talent. The few good players we have don’t want to play for a 1 win team. That’s why nmsu and UNM struggle too. Combine it with bad hires and it’s a recipe for failure.

100%. So give me your best solution then. Aside from the generic, obvious answer of “winning”. What can UTEP do?

That’s why I have said, being in a conference doesn’t matter. We don’t win games, so bowl tie-ins and conference championships are meaningless.

UAB did have a tough 2 years without football but once the decision to bring it back was made they had actually been able to hold onto a number of players and were given special leeway to recruit. They brought in a number of D1 transfers and on top of everything held onto their coach who is very good at his job.

Reactions: JCorona
100%. So give me your best solution then. Aside from the generic, obvious answer of “winning”. What can UTEP do?

That’s why I have said, being in a conference doesn’t matter. We don’t win games, so bowl tie-ins and conference championships are meaningless.
We need to convince a real football head coach and his staff to come to El Paso.

Reactions: TXPrepMiner02
UAB did have a tough 2 years without football but once the decision to bring it back was made they had actually been able to hold onto a number of players and were given special leeway to recruit. They brought in a number of D1 transfers and on top of everything held onto their coach who is very good at his job.

Should a school like UAB or a conference mate, be able to beat UTEP 28-7 in their first year back? 19-0 and 37-10 in the next two years? After not fielding a team for 2 years?

We need to convince a real football head coach and his staff to come to El Paso.

Let's be real: UTEP is and should be used as a stepping stone job for FB. Bring in young coaches who are hungry, determined and want to have chances to run a Power 5 school. The idea of getting a coach like Dimel, who literally had failure written over him, is not a way to go.

In my judgement, UTEP's issues boil down to two things: personnel and money. Coaches are hired by the AD and so far, the coaches for the programs that generate the most revenue are currently leading reasons why attendance isn't going (losses due to poor tactics and recruits).

You need to solve that issue asap; gotta make a decision between allowing an investment to develop versus a sunk cost. As an administration, there must be metrics in place that give you an index in time as well as giving you a trend. It's safe to say UTEP is trending downward (sunk cost). It's why in a previous thread I mentioned this should be the year that makes this decision. Can't keep bleeding money on losses when you're complaining that you don't have money.

Then use actual mathematics to balance your balance sheet (i.e. linear optimization, etc.) to find a few more bucks instead of using excuses.

I could go on and on about actual solutions but it may as well be my doctorate thesis for solving UTEP's infrastructure woes.

Haha nope. I mean it's hard making points on this board without being asked if I'm a creation of Autograph Boy/NoWins. But no I am my own entity that was raised near 5 points in the fantastic part of Central ELP.

If you don’t call NMSU and the WAC trash and also don’t think UTEP athletics is a great program, you automatically get accused of being me or AutoBoy.

Well a few things: I hate NMSU because they are the fake Aggies and well because I have always loved UTEP. I also dont like the T-Sip school cause they were the rival to my undergrad school.

I miss the old WAC days before the MWC even though my memories of Shawn Bradley at BYU are when I was young.

Having said that, i try not to incorporate that into justification(s) into the discussion or points I make. I care about UTEP, want UTEP to succeed cause no matter where in the country I've lived or live, ELP is still my home. When UTEP succeeds, ELP succeeds. And no hate or dislike for conferences, rivals, etc. is objective to improving UTEP/ELP.

If you don’t call NMSU and the WAC trash and also don’t think UTEP athletics is a great program, you automatically get accused of being me or AutoBoy.
Naw, its because he/she is new and both of you have liked every comment. Where have I ever said that UTEP athletics is a great program? Stop making shit up and exaggerating. Seriously, how many different handles have you created.

Reactions: JCorona
Naw, its because he/she is new and both of you have liked every comment. Where have I ever said that UTEP athletics is a great program? Stop making shit up and exaggerating. Seriously, how many different handles have you created.

A bunch over the years, but never used any simultaneously. When I would get banned, I would just sign up with another one. Since I don’t get banned anymore, no reason to get a new name.

I like comments that are to my liking. I’ve liked many of your posts and Corona’s too. If this new guy says we’re winning 25 games next year when the schedule comes out, I probably won’t be liking that post.

I admit, I get trolly sometimes. Most times objective though.

However, I do believe UTEP needs to leave CUSA.
Let’s assume Dimel shocks us and we actually see noticeable progress on the w/l column. For the hell of it let’s say we win 3-4 games but had several close calls that could have gone either way. We go into 2021 expecting a better year. Which schedule do you think would helps us build and win more games. The schedule nmsu has for 2021 or ours?

Let's be real: UTEP is and should be used as a stepping stone job for FB. Bring in young coaches who are hungry, determined and want to have chances to run a Power 5 school. The idea of getting a coach like Dimel, who literally had failure written over him, is not a way to go.

In my judgement, UTEP's issues boil down to two things: personnel and money. Coaches are hired by the AD and so far, the coaches for the programs that generate the most revenue are currently leading reasons why attendance isn't going (losses due to poor tactics and recruits).

You need to solve that issue asap; gotta make a decision between allowing an investment to develop versus a sunk cost. As an administration, there must be metrics in place that give you an index in time as well as giving you a trend. It's safe to say UTEP is trending downward (sunk cost). It's why in a previous thread I mentioned this should be the year that makes this decision. Can't keep bleeding money on losses when you're complaining that you don't have money.

Then use actual mathematics to balance your balance sheet (i.e. linear optimization, etc.) to find a few more bucks instead of using excuses.

I could go on and on about actual solutions but it may as well be my doctorate thesis for solving UTEP's infrastructure woes.
I still think our best chance is to hire a once successful G5 coach that flamed out in the P5. I don’t trust a young up and coming coach with the way the football program is. He will probably be in way over his head. Not to mention that a lot of the “hot” assistants aren’t going to want to start their fbs career with a 4-20 record. Which is almost guaranteed at UTEP until a solid foundation is laid.

It’s unfortunate that we pay Dimel more than what LT pays Holtz. He has won six straight bowl games. That’s the kind of hire we need in El Paso. A proven winner that will ignite the fan base.

Reactions: TXPrepMiner02
Let’s assume Dimel shocks us and we actually see noticeable progress on the w/l column. For the hell of it let’s say we win 3-4 games but had several close calls that could have gone either way. We go into 2021 expecting a better year. Which schedule do you think would helps us build and win more games. The schedule nmsu has for 2021 or ours?
Before considering the schedules, did Dimel and staff make good play calls and display intelligent game management, or did we lose close games because of shitty coaching?

Hard to say. Depends on how this season shakes out for the opponents. In 2021, UTEP has 3 “winnable” games vs NMSU, UNM, and Bethune Cookman. NMSU has them too, except replace BC with Dixie State. They also play Hawaii twice, SDSU, SJSU, Nevada, Utah St, Alabama, Kentucky, and UMass.

I definitely like their schedule a lot better than whatever 8 CUSA teams we play. If they Miners look “respectable” next year, I would definitely want to play SJSU and UMass. Their schedule isn’t that bad in 2021. Toss up

I still think our best chance is to hire a once successful G5 coach that flamed out in the P5. I don’t trust a young up and coming coach with the way the football program is. He will probably be in way over his head. Not to mention that a lot of the “hot” assistants aren’t going to want to start their fbs career with a 4-20 record. Which is almost guaranteed at UTEP until a solid foundation is laid.

It’s unfortunate that we pay Dimel more than what LT pays Holtz. He has won six straight bowl games. That’s the kind of hire we need in El Paso. A proven winner that will ignite the fan base.
I think we need a good P5 coach that needs a new start for whatever reason (ala Price). Someone that can recruit on name alone and is offensive minded. Then when success happens we MUST build on it, not throw it away.

Hard to say. Depends on how this season shakes out for the opponents. In 2021, UTEP has 3 “winnable” games vs NMSU, UNM, and Bethune Cookman. NMSU has them too, except replace BC with Dixie State. They also play Hawaii twice, SDSU, SJSU, Nevada, Utah St, Alabama, Kentucky, and UMass.

I definitely like their schedule a lot better than whatever 8 CUSA teams we play. If they Miners look “respectable” next year, I would definitely want to play SJSU and UMass. Their schedule isn’t that bad in 2021. Toss up
You’re right. They have an attractive schedule in 2021.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT